Beacon Two Preamplifier & LH-1 Cable tour: Impressions & Reviews

dangerbird

Thank you Ritchie and Blair-- I'll post some pic's and and impressions early-mid week(next week),
Thank you kindly--george

dangerbird

Arrived today--thank you sirs :D

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
No problem.   Ritchie

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
NOTE: Please make sure everything is in the box before you ship, as I mentioned a few messages ago.

Package contents:

1] Beacon Two Preamp
2] 12V DC Filament supply
3] AC power cords (for preamp and DC power supply)
4] LH-1 4ft interconnects (1 pair)
5] Two 6SN7 RCA tubes
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2010, 09:44 pm by Niteshade »

dangerbird

Hey Ritchie,, check your pm box.Looks like we'll be auditioning this sweet looking pre very soon,,.  :thumb:

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
OK, box will be send tomorrow at address from George with attention to Sandra at 28713 zip.

Ritchie

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Could I get some idea when I might receive the unit, trying to schedule some folks to come by and hear it?

Gene

targa02

Mariusz,

Nice Pictures!  Thanks!

SYSTEM USED FOR EVALUATION:
Speakers: OB Audio Nirvana 15 full range drivers
Digital:  Virtue Audio Piano1 CD player
Preamp: Niteshade Beacon 2 and custom build preamp used for comparison
Amp: Decware SV83M SET Monoblock tube amplifiers
AC management: Majik Buss

Lucky likes it :eyebrows:

NITESHADE BEACON 2 PREAMP GALLERY - CLICK HERE

Setup in medium size room on the short wall (that arrangement sounded best).
Window behind speakers was partially covered with GIK treatments.
Material used for evaluation varied from Jazz, vocals, small band, demo CDs from Usher, Chesky, NYAR etc.

dangerbird

it's actually quite striking in person.

targa02

I ordered a Niteshade NS amp painted red pearl.  Can't wait to see and hear it!    :P

etcarroll

Could I get an update as to where I am in the process?
Gene

Keep good communications between yourselves and don't hang on to it for over 1.5 weeks- so we can keep things moving smoothly. Everything is going pretty good so far!  :thumb:

NOTE: If you're watching the tour and would like to jump in on it or if I forgot to place you in the list, just let me know.

Thanks everybody!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Here is the updated list:

1] Mariusz- NY          (completed)
1.5] Mytubes211-NJ   (completed)
2] Ericus Rex- MA
3] Etcarroll- PA
4] Dangerbird- GA  (has it now due to scheduling constraints & waiting for the filament supply)
5] Maxcast- MI
6] Jake J- WA

Gene- There is only one in front of you after George. George can have it for up to 1.5 weeks after the power supply arrives. It looks like you will have it in a little over three weeks.

etcarroll

I'll be out of town the end of Sept, starting the 25th through 10/1.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
That's not a problem. Let's see how things run and I'll accommodate you one way or another.

I'll be out of town the end of Sept, starting the 25th through 10/1.

guest1632

Hey
Tours never go according to plan. 

And

It might be possible to improve Beacon Two but.......  is it a worthy proposition????
$100 just for the new Beacon Three logo.
$150 for premium caps or $250 for "SOTA" caps.
$150 for all wood enclose.
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, do you think it is your lucky day?
Do you????

Hi Mariusz,

You forgot the interstage part that is on the Beacon3 that will also improve the sound, but I don't know how much just the extra tube stage would be. But then, that would make it a Beacon III. So, strike that comment. Maybe, either beefing up the supply to add a bit more "meat" around the edges, or upping the plate voltage, ETC. I know Blair runs his stuff pretty conseratively. Anyway, Blair, also a different Volume pot? Sometimes stuff comes out of a tour that could potentially make an improvement beit small, but noticable. Don't have any moola to play with, otherwise I'd bite on this tour. Sounds really good so far.

Also, there is the use of different brands of 6SN7 tubes. That might make a difference too. Last but not least, different interconnects. Yeah, I know his didn't make any real difference one way or the other.

Ray

Mariusz

Sure, tubes come in different shape, sizes and flavors.
With 6sn7s you can tube roll till your heart content.

I am not familiar with other preamps from Niteshade stable except the one on tour. Priced under a grand is an attractive proposition and interesting market. Anything over a grand will meet very strong competition.

Mariusz

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
I wouldn't be concerned about the bass response since it wasn't tested on the tour with two or three way speakers yet. The preamp's output is VERY linear across the audio frequency spectrum. Nothing should be accented or attenuated. As can be seen in the underside photo, very little signal processing takes place due to a streamlined circuit.

dangerbird

Okay-- here we go--long overdue,,the LH-1 cable review;

First-they appear to be very well constructed and actually more forgiving than alot of cables on the market(they go where you want them to without recoil/whiplash) I tried them between my DAc and pre and then switched them between my pre and amplifier.These cables are some of the most neutral cables that I have listened to.They neither add,subtract or "color" the sound.I did notice that the higher end notes seemed somewhat smoother and effortless compared to the other cables in my system(the other cables were of comparable price)
For the price of admission these definately shout"show us some respect",,and they do just that,,I know that it's been said before,,but these are pretty much invisable,,and thats what you want,,eh?  :thumb:

Gear used;

Rotel 855 CD
Adcom Gda 600 (heavily modded)
Belles 20 A preamp
Quicksilver M-80 monobloc's
Tyler Acoustics aylos Reference Monitors

For the record,,I will be contacting Blair for a pair of 6 footers too.

Thank you for the opportunity.  :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Thanks for the cable review! Glad you're enjoying them.

We're looking forward to the Beacon Two review.  :D

dangerbird

Got this puppy connected about an hour ago--- WOW- :D- much better than I expected--dead quiet,,wide soundstage,, very good inner detail--and fast,,,extremely accurate,,Mr Blair I really think you've got something here,,much better than I anticipated--this thing is sweet,,velvety sweet,,I'll post more later--gonna' go back upstairs and listen to more vinyl thru this pre--he,he,,nice,,indeed sir.  :thumb: