Beacon Two Preamplifier & LH-1 Cable tour: Impressions & Reviews

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Thanks boys - pretty sure I did it 'out of order'.

Can I sub. scotch for the vodka?

Hoo-boy, my knuckles still a little white from 1st explosion, but all seems good now.

Mariusz

Thanks boys - pretty sure I did it 'out of order'.

Can I sub. scotch for the vodka?

Hoo-boy, my knuckles still a little white from 1st explosion, but all seems good now.

Look at the bright side.
-your home isn't on fire
-unit should be burn in by now
-it sure will sound explosive

No negatives.
so yeah, have a scotch  :wink:

dangerbird

hehe,, tubes,, gotta love em.   8)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
 All Blair needed was someone to listen to his offerings. I would like to get on the list. I would love to compare it to my Arthur Loesch design and demo at one of our club meetings.

charles

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
It is good that Blair finally was able to send out one of his pieces for a tour.  I spoke with Blair on several occasions and based on those conversations took a leap of faith and ordered an NS60-SE amp along with a Beacon III.  It has been a long haul but Blair will take a couple of pics for AC and then be shipping both pieces tomorrow.

Thanks,

Randy

etcarroll

I moved my tt off of top shelf of rack so I could easily move cables to Beacon from my SuperPhon, and when I looked back, a grinning pumpkinhead had claimed my tt.

Weird.  :o

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Nice photo!  :D

If you would like to be on the tour, please let me know. 

Charles- I sent you a PM.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Pre-tour lounging. Waiting to be boxed!

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
I'd love to be on the tour   8)

etcarroll

Oh, you gotta be d*cking me.

So done with work, kicking back with a scotch, neat, and put on Brahms 4th Symphony, as I just heard it performed by the Philly Orchestra last Sunday.

Closing my eyes, and I'm back in Kimmel Hall.

I've been working since the beginning of the year to put together a 2 channel system, was just starting to stop worrying about components and starting to enjoy the music, and now have been kicked in the groin with the fact I need a new preamp. Dammit!!!

dangerbird

he he,, told ya'll  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Looks like the tour will be extended! I'll keep in touch. The order will remain the same, so all new people added to the list will be in chronological order.

How are the LH-1's working out?

I agree: When powering up your system, turn the amp on last.

dangerbird

Eh,, try the cables between the source and pre,, then the pre and amp,,let us know what you hear,,I think you'll be surprised. :thumb:

etcarroll

Over the weekend I need to pull apart my rack and re-run existing wires, and that's what I'll add in the LH-one. For now I've just been content to swap out my preamp for the Beacon Two.

Some preliminary thoughts, a slightly larger soundstage, a more pronounced leading edge or attack of notes, and clearer decay of notes. For symphonic music, more overall slam to the presentation. Of course, that may simply be a matter of the Beacon Two having more gain than my existing preamp. For small jazz combos, I find there is a better presentation of the individual instruments in space, again better presentation of the leading edge and decay of notes, and a greater sense of warmth to the music.

I'm already wondering what a Beacon two with three inputs in and the phono preamp  would cost, or maybe even a Beacon Three with that setup? And what are the major differences between the Beacon Two and Beacon Three.?

rklein

I'm already wondering what a Beacon two with three inputs in and the phono preamp  would cost, or maybe even a Beacon Three with that setup? And what are the major differences between the Beacon Two and Beacon Three.?

Here is a list of what will be on my Beacon III:
1] Two inputs
2] DC Filaments (regulated)
3] Switchable buffer mode
4] Isolated gain stage
5] High current output circuit
6] IEC power socket
7] High current link capacitors for the output stage
8] Solid hand-crafted wood sides
9] Dual high voltage filtration stages
10] High voltage transformer secondary is shielded from primary
11] HT Bypass

Randy

rklein

So done with work, kicking back with a scotch, neat, and put on Brahms 4th Symphony, as I just heard it performed by the Philly Orchestra last Sunday.

BTW, I had the opportunity to play in the Philadelphia Orchestra while I was a student at The Curtis Institute of Music.  Back then they performed in the Academy of Music.  I have not been back to hear them since their move to their present hall.

Randy

dangerbird

I really miss the Beacon,,snif snif,  :cry:

I sincerely hope you guys enjoy your time with it as much as I did.  :thumb:

etcarroll

It's a beautiful space they have.

BTW, I had the opportunity to play in the Philadelphia Orchestra while I was a student at The Curtis Institute of Music.  Back then they performed in the Academy of Music.  I have not been back to hear them since their move to their present hall.

Randy

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
A Beacon Three has a dedicated, isolated gain stage and a dedicated driver stage. The Beacon Four can have a phono stage, but a phono stage has not been developed yet. My time has been spent in assembly for quite a while now.

Sonics: The Beacon Three will have better micro-nuance pickup. Dynamic range is increased too. I will write more about Three in an introductory thread once new photos are posted. Can't take the spotlight away form Two!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Did you get the LH-1's installed?

What does the rest of your system consist of?