Beacon Two Preamplifier & LH-1 Cable tour: Impressions & Reviews

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Attended a GTG of the NY Rave this past weekend, picked up another tubed pre to compare against the Beacon Two. Going to have a few folks stop by my place this coming Saturday to also compare.

Have to pull my rack apart today or tomorrow to facilitate preamp swapping, will install LH-1 then.

After Saturday I'll send the Beacon onto next receipient, need an address.

My gear is in my profile under system, but quickly;
Bryston 4B recapped by Bryston a few months back
Rega Apollo cdp
Onix Reference 3 speakers with Skiing Ninja Master xover upgrades w/platinum bypass caps
Denon DP52f tt with new Ortofon MC 25E cartridge.

etcarroll

Got rack rearranged, but phono preamp winds up directly behind a tube on the Beacon, anyone see a problem with that?

Just have to get the LH-1 in there, going to run it from Beacon to amp to replace my diy cable, a clone of the Rega ic.

Spinning some Bill Evans, sounds great!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Phono preamp winds up directly behind a tube on the Beacon, anyone see a problem with that?

Other then possible scuff or scratch, not really the ideal spot but guess it's working fine....

etcarroll

The phono pre is sitting on a small swatch of fabric, but when the LH-1  goes in, I'm going to put the phono pre up with the tt.

etcarroll

Did you get the LH-1's installed?
In prep for company tomorrow just installed the LH-1 from Beacon to amp.

Also moved phono pre off of by itself.

Have the house to myself for a few hours, so time for wine and symphonic music, loud, to see what we have here.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Just wondering- what genres of music you have tried so far? I know you have tried classical.

Fumy thing: I played everything but classical while designing the Two, so you filled in the gap! My music library consists mostly of Ragtime, 40's, 50's, 80's, Bluegrass and Classic Country (AKA: Johnny Cash). 

Almost forget: Glad you got the LH-1's installed. It seems like the Beacon Two overshadows the LH-1's. I may have a cable tour soon that will include one of our new IEC power cables.  :D

Charles Xavier

In prep for company tomorrow just installed the LH-1 from Beacon to amp.

Also moved phono pre off of by itself.

Have the house to myself for a few hours, so time for wine and symphonic music, loud, to see what we have here.

No invite ? :scratch:

etcarroll

Well right now Handel's 3 oboe concertos on vinyl, which sounds splendid with tubes.

Next will be something symphonic, looking for the proper soundstage.

But I've also run through some jazz, lots of Coltrane, but had Sonny Rollins in for morning coffee this morning.

And I have both Jeff Beck Wired and Blow by Blow albums ready for later.

Miles' Sketches of Spain in the queue, and at least The Girl from Ipanema from Getz/Gilberto.

And I won the latest Stevie Vai double album set, that will also get a hearing later, if I still have the house to myself.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2010, 12:22 pm by etcarroll »

etcarroll

No invite ? :scratch:

You're invited!

In truth, been trying to get folks from the mid-Atlantic area to come by, this group should be as active as the NY and NC groups, and yet.......

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87290.0

But the door is open to anyone who wants to trek to the doorstep of Amish country.

etcarroll

Oh and here's something, I recently discovered Silversun Pickups, been listening to Swoon, their latest release.

I could never pick out the keyboard player, most likely because the guitarist loves his distortion. While listening with the Beacon Two, I finally heard the keyboard player. I think I get it now when folks review a component and say "it lets me hear further into the music". 'Cuz I now can with the Beacon.

Just wondering- what genres of music you have tried so far? I know you have tried classical.

dangerbird

If you can,,try listening to Nils Lofgren "Keith don't go" with the Beacon,some nice acoustic guitar .

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
If you can,,try listening to Nils Lofgren "Keith don't go" with the Beacon,some nice acoustic guitar .

Gene....It's on the 2006 Rave Cd.... :wink:

dangerbird

yep,, Chris so kindly sent me a copy some time back,,and it has certainly received some play,, so much that I bought the CD,,hopefully I thanked you.  :thumb:

etcarroll

Everyone gone, I'm picking up, will write up my thoughts tomorrow.

The LH-1 was swapped out for other ICs, and folks wanted the LH-1s reinserted to system, they were well received.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Tour Update:

1] MAXCAST (It's going your way!)
2] JAKE J
3] Rollo
4] Hebrew Hammer

etcarroll

I bought the Sherwood $99 multi-player that was on a thread here at AC a few days back, it arrived yesterday.

I have it warming up, then I'm going to run a few classical SACDs through it and the Beacon, then the Beacon goes in its box to next person.

I already miss it.  :cry:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I already miss it.  :cry:

IF you like it that much you can purchase it. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
It's not necessary to miss the Two or LH-1's

A tour package sale should fix things!

Beacon Two + 4ft LH1's:

Specifics:
Beacon Two with the following:
1. All rocker switches
2. Name plate (now standard)
3. Two inputs
4. Wood trim
5. 4ft LH-1's

Total: $1150.00 
Price includes a custom finish color! Color of the tour unit is Crimson Pearl and the wood is Tiger Maple.

The tour Beacon Two is on sale for $900.00 and the 2-year warranty remains in effect. Tour LH-1's are on sale for $95.00 instead of $145.00 and will retain their 2 year warranty.

Other options and package promotions are available. Please contact me for more information.

MaxCast

Noooooo, don't buy the tour model...I'm next.  :wink:

TooManyToys

Friggin' guy is hording the unit and hasn't posted his opinions.  He should have to pay a rental charge ........

Hi Gene   :green: