Something new that sounds incredible

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #480 on: 13 Oct 2014, 09:21 pm »
I realize there won't be any issue integrating Danny's OB subs and amps with the Wedges when I can afford to build them.

I was including the A370PEQ amp as a comparison with my VR-S1 where the dial on the A370PEQ goes up to 120Hz and the dial on the VR-S1 goes up to 100Hz. My thinking was that that might be close enough for the VR-S1 to work. But based on Brian's comment the OB version of the A370PEQ maxes out at 200Hz (even though the dial reads 120HZ. In other words, what is written on the dial (120Hz) is not correct for the OB version).

This leads me to think the VR-S1 will not work so well with the Wedges.  If I understand the math and concepts correctly, it looks like they will cross around 175Hz with each one around -10dB. Since they are supposed to cross when both are -6dB it looks like using this combination will result in  4 dB dip around 175Hz.

But then again, I could be totally misunderstanding things. Trial and error it shall be.

Oh well, back to the garage to finish wiring up the second speaker (had to stop and get a little work done  :lol:)

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #481 on: 13 Oct 2014, 09:22 pm »
Mike, with regard to the servo amp being adjustable to 120hz, see Brian's response to a similar question below:

Thanks. I incorporated this into my response above

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #482 on: 13 Oct 2014, 09:42 pm »
Mike,
It is much easier to integrate the sub to the Wedges if you use something like the Parts Express UMM-6 USB mic with REW.  It will show directly what the adjustments are doing.  Got mine on sale for $68 and REW5 is free for running on a PC. 

Just a thought.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #483 on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:20 pm »
Mike,
It is much easier to integrate the sub to the Wedges if you use something like the Parts Express UMM-6 USB mic with REW.  It will show directly what the adjustments are doing.  Got mine on sale for $68 and REW5 is free for running on a PC. 

Just a thought.

Something like this is definitely on my to get and learn how to use list. Getting isn't the hard part. Learning how to use is. I have skimmed the REW site and a little of the tutorials and so far most of it is Greek to me.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #484 on: 13 Oct 2014, 11:10 pm »
They're Done!!  :hyper:

Now it's time to hook them up and do a little listening. I'm going to start off with the VR-S1 sub.

Mike

DeeJayBump

« Reply #485 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:05 am »
Mike-

To echo others, that veneer looks great. Nice job.

Trismos

« Reply #486 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:01 pm »
They're Done!!  :hyper:

Now it's time to hook them up and do a little listening. I'm going to start off with the VR-S1 sub.

Mike

Well??????????   Hanging by a thread here!! (as it were....)

Dave

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #487 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:33 pm »
Ask and ye shall receive:

Here they are set up any playing

Important caveat: I do not currently have base speakers that match really well or do justice to the Wedges. Of the subs I have available for use in this system the 8” ported X-Sub works the best.  As nice as this little sub is, the bass is still thick and slow compared to the openness and articulate nature of the Wedges.  With this in mind, the comments that follow are not meant to refer to low frequency performance, but only to the Wedges themselves

Now that I’ve had a chance to listen to the Wedges for a few of hours I can discuss initial impressions. My first impression was  :banana piano: WOW!!!  :dance:

Danny’s description of something sounding incredible is dead on to an understatement.  The sound was huge. Center images didn’t so much sound like they were coming from between the two speakers as from all around and above them. Almost like the entire front wall became one big speaker.  While the sound was huge it wasn’t overpowering. It had an almost airy spacious quality with voices especially seeming to be floating between the speakers.   

However, this does not mean everything is mashed together.  There is very distinct separation between notes, voices, instruments and location. When a drummer plays a solo and runs around his set the sound pans from right to left with him. Also, sounds that are supposed to be off to one side stay pinned to that location.

Voices are clear and those that are intended to soar like Barbara Streisand, Jonas Kaufmann, Pavarotti, and the John McDermott soar. Those that are intended to be more earthy and distinct like Holly Cole, Rebecca Pidgeon, Ray Charles, Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson shine in their distinctiveness.

Hard and punchy is hard and punchy yet clean. Fleetwood Mac, Steppenwolf, and Jethro Tull all sound exceptional.

Visually, they fit very nicely into my 11’x13’x8’ (1,144 cubic feet) room. But can they play loud?  Well, I have them connected to a Jolida JD-801A (70WPC) and at my listening position (10ft) I had the SPL meter up to 100.5dB before I had to back off because I couldn’t stand it anymore.  Now I can hear some of you saying that’s all fine and dandy but a 1,100ft3 room isn’t very big so it’s not really much of a test and you’d be correct. As I’m typing this I’m listening to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons at a very enjoyable volume. This might not mean much except that I am in my office which is downstairs and at the other end of the house from the Wedges. I have no doubt they would easily fill my 5,000+ ft3 living room should I put them there. However, I learned my lesson with the N3’s. I’ll not give my wife a chance to get her hands on the Wedges.

This is very early on as these speakers only have 4 or 5 hours on them. Since I used platinum by-pass caps they have a long way to go before they are broken in and will improve with time.

As great as the N3’s are, I no longer begrudge my wife’s usurpation of them. The LGK Wedge is a large performer in a small package. Once I get a pair of 12” OB H-Frames under them the package will be complete.

Mike

brother love

« Reply #488 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:53 pm »
Very nice review Mike. Your LGK wedges look great!   :thumb:

I am an N3 owner as well.  I know we are talking an OB speaker vs. transmission line; but once you have a chance to evaluate further, a comparison of the 2 would be appreciated.

ebag4

« Reply #489 on: 14 Oct 2014, 10:10 pm »
Thanks for the update Mike.  I am really wanting to finish the finish on my Wedges but I may have to put them together when I get back home this week.  I am really anxious to hear them but I know if I put them together before finishing them they will likely never get a clear coat.  My room is somewhat dark so it won't matter, that is today's massive rationalization.  :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #490 on: 14 Oct 2014, 10:25 pm »
Thanks for the update Mike.  I am really wanting to finish the finish on my Wedges but I may have to put them together when I get back home this week.  I am really anxious to hear them but I know if I put them together before finishing them they will likely never get a clear coat.  My room is somewhat dark so it won't matter, that is today's massive rationalization.  :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. My LGK1.0's are still sitting on my desk naked as the day Ben cut out the pieces  :lol:

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #491 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:51 am »
Nice write up Mike.   So glad you are enjoying them  :thumb:

This next lbit is for "brother love" too....
When I was reading Mikes description of the  Wedgies sound characteristics  it reminded me of when  I switched from  my N3TL's to the OB7's.  Now, I realize  the  Wedgies would be considered a step (steps?) up from the OB series speakers,  but   I noticed very similar things.    The transparency, the  air/openess, more accurate imaging and motion,  and overall depth  it all really stood out .   I get comments all the time about how amazed people are  as to how the  sound  is coming from the entire  front AREA (not wall)  of the room, not from  2 speakers .  That sound is both  wide and tall as well. Being Mke described such similar  observation I'd  say many of the  traits are    traits of OB designs, probably just implemented better with the  Wedgies.
After reading  Danny's comments earlier in the thread saying he felt the Wedgies were getting close to the  performance of the  Super 7's/LSX's (not an exact quote but it was something like that) I can only imagine how great   they  really sound Mike,  enjoy
I'd love to get the chance to hear the Wedgies  one day and compare

BTW,   that veneer looks even better with the contrast of the drivers , awsome
-jay

Early B.

« Reply #492 on: 15 Oct 2014, 01:32 am »
  Now, I realize  the  Wedgies would be considered a step (steps?) up from the OB series speakers, 

Why would the Wedgies be a step up from the OB series??? 

Captainhemo

« Reply #493 on: 15 Oct 2014, 02:12 am »

Well having the  Neo3 OB  in a waveguide is going to be a step up, I'd imagine that would  add another dimension to the Neo3 which I already absolutely love.  I wish there was a way to  cut a waveguide to the correct depth for timing and have it fit in the cutout/recess for the standard  Neo3 facepalte in my OB7's 1.5" baffle

Here is the comment from page 1 Danny made which I refered to above
The sound quality from this little combo is one of the best sounding speakers I have ever tested. Mid-range is incredible. And from 200Hz and up just crazy good across the board. I think the only speakers I'd put ahead of it would be the Super-7's from Serenity Acoustics and the LSX open baffle line sources that I designed for Mockingbird Audio. These things are that good. And a little over 95db sensitivity.  :thumb:

From reading those  comments, I'd assume they'd be a step up assuming one has the  subs or is willing to build/buy  them , that will play up to 200hz or so.. 

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #494 on: 15 Oct 2014, 03:26 am »
Very nice review Mike. Your LGK wedges look great!   :thumb:

I am an N3 owner as well.  I know we are talking an OB speaker vs. transmission line; but once you have a chance to evaluate further, a comparison of the 2 would be appreciated.

Based on what I hear now I would prefer the Wedges over the N3TL's due to the sound stage and character I described above. Then again, if my room was such that I couldn't use OB speakers I would want the N3TL's. However, I can't make a full comparison until I get the proper bass units under the Wedges.

Even then I have a feeling it is going to come down to application. If you can use OB's go with the Wedges, if not go with the N3TL's.

Jay,

If you get in the Tulsa area stop on by for a listen.

Now for the next big question for Danny ... What about a center channel to go with the wedges?

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #495 on: 15 Oct 2014, 03:28 am »
I have built the top section of the OB5 with an Augie for bass as well as the V1, I felt the V1 was a better speaker all around (of course the servo subs helped with that), I didn't notice a terrible drop off moving from the Neo3 to the tweeter of the coax, but the the supporting equipment all changed in that timeframe as well.  The V1 is also fully open baffle whereas the OB5 (with the Augie) was only OB up to 2k Hz or so, that likely played a role in my preference.  I am hoping that the Wedge is better yet but the V1 is a fun speaker and will be a tough act to follow.

jseipp

« Reply #496 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:17 pm »
I regularly read the forum, but never write.  The wedges have moved me to chime in, however.

When the wedges became available I immediately ordered and when they arrived built them nude (unfinished); since I have had them playing on and off.  They've come on song, and they are nothing short of spectacular.  I've built the V2s and put together a couple sealed servo subs in the past, all of which gave me a taste of the good stuff, but the wedges feel like a true destination. 

If you are at all considering putting a pair together, all I can say is: Stop considering, and do it! I can't stop listening -- I expect you will have the same experience.

Early B.

« Reply #497 on: 15 Oct 2014, 11:20 pm »
I regularly read the forum, but never write.  The wedges have moved me to chime in, however.

When the wedges became available I immediately ordered and when they arrived built them nude (unfinished); since I have had them playing on and off.  They've come on song, and they are nothing short of spectacular.  I've built the V2s and put together a couple sealed servo subs in the past, all of which gave me a taste of the good stuff, but the wedges feel like a true destination. 

If you are at all considering putting a pair together, all I can say is: Stop considering, and do it! I can't stop listening -- I expect you will have the same experience.

Wow. That's a serious endorsement.

Tell us more, show some pics, etc. Specifically, how is the sound different from the V2's? Are you using a servo sub for bass? 
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2014, 02:28 am by Early B. »

Folsom

« Reply #498 on: 16 Oct 2014, 03:32 am »

This is some encouragement to plow through some other projects I'm working on, to get there....

jseipp

« Reply #499 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:22 am »
Definitely fair to ask for more details:

I'm not one much for hyperbole, so I'll just tell you that I played music 5-6 nights a week for about a decade before health issues arose a few years ago.  I'm pretty synesthesic, and haven't really been able to enjoy listening to music since because it hasn't caused anything like the experience I remembered and carried in my head.  The V2s convinced me that I was definitely an open baffle guy, sounds hung nicely in space, but I kept tinkering with them too much to relax and enjoy music again.

I built the wedges and plunked them down on fern stands, filling in the bottom end with one sealed servo sub.  That was it, and there's joy in music again.  They bring to bear all the little cues music contains, layers and layers.  Instruments are placed in and take up space; it's that sense of volume (filled space) that finally feels right to me.  Voices sound as though they are shaped by mouths.  And I haven't fussed with placement -- they're just well out into the room and set somewhat wider than I might otherwise think to try.

I will beg pardon and pass on sharing a photo -- the other examples here are beautiful and mine are plain mdf.  I haven't even fastened the top brace or tied down the crossover properly as I've yet to decide how I want to go about finishing them.  I look forward to adding a pair of open baffle subs and to hearing a lot of great music.

And I might get around to putting a finish on them, too....