ModWright Transporter Feedback and general information thread......!

modwright

Hi guys, I have a picture of our transporter sitting on a set of the 'Black Holes', but will have to email it to Ted or someone to post it here as I don't have it on a site that I can reference to at this point.

Retail price for the product is $299/set of three.  I will be offering them for $250 - set, including shipping.  I would be interested in a comparison between these and the rollerballs also.  Conceptually, they are very different products.  They are also different than Herby's Audio Labs product, but look conceptually similar.  The black holes are vibration ABSORBERS, not vibration transmitters or couplers.  In my opinion, vibration should be dissipated in the form of heat.  As a Mechanical Engineer who closely studied vibration analysis in my last year of school, I can say that this is typically the best way to handle unwanted vibration.

Vibration can be transmitted to an infinite mass.  It can also be isolated by transmitting vibration energy to another system.  Lastly, vibration can be absorbed, or the energy can be converted to noise or heat.  The problem with coupling or vibration transmission is that you get a certain amount of reflection back into the product that is undesirable.

I will ask Ted to post the picture that I have.  If you are interested in purchasing or learning more about the Black Holes, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Send it over, sir.  Will do.  I'll post it here, rather than start another thread.

modwright

OK, I actually found the picture taken by the kind folks at Audio Federation, in CO.

Thanks guys!

Dan W.

rydenfan

Dan, what is the total height they raise the TP?

modwright

No more than 2.5".

Thanks!

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
No more than 2.5".

Thanks!

Dan

David, with those and the EML's you'll be putting in a skylight.  :D

JG2

I have 3 'Black Holes' under my preamp and the height is closer to 1 5/8" - 1 3/4".

I had been looking at Symposium's offerings when Dan gave these a try at Rocky Mountain.

I bought a set and have been pleased enough to keep them in my personal system for more than a year.

John

daz_bike

Is there a web address or more specific product name as I am finding it hard to get more information about them beyond this thread.

Thanks

modwright

The Black Holes were designed and manufactured by Peter Clark of Redpoint Audio Design.  They were never strongly marketed, despite their exceptional performance.  I offered to represent them for Peter as I feel that they are an exceptional vibration isolation for the Transporter and all of our sources.

Thanks,

Dan W.

daz_bike

Thanks Dan. 

I'll wait for some feedback, however since the MWTP is quite sensitive to footers I will be very interested in the results compared to other devices.

kenreau

I have jumped on the dBpoweramp platform for ripping my cds to FLAC files.  What level of compression is recommend for best audiophile sound quality  :scratch:  {that sounds odd...compression and audiophile sound)? 

The choices are [Flac Encoder Settings] Compression Level 0 (Fastest) to Level 5 (Default) to Level 8 (Best).  It does note "all are lossless".

I have been using the Level 5 Default setting to date.  I haven't seen this discussed before and thought I would inquire if there is a preferred setting to use.

Thx,
Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
Most agree that level 5 combines decent speed of decoding/encoding with a good amount of compression.  I posted a graph awhile ago that shows the knuckle in the curve is right at level 5 to 6.

kenreau

Most agree that level 5 combines decent speed of decoding/encoding with a good amount of compression.  I posted a graph awhile ago that shows the knuckle in the curve is right at level 5 to 6.

Thanks Ted! I appreciate your input and fast, helpful responses.

I will make the shift to Level 6.

Thanks,
Kenreau