ModWright Transporter Feedback and general information thread......!

Philistine

Hope this is the right folder/thread for this?

I'm on the hunt for a remote replacement for my standard oem slimdevices rc.  My desktop cpu/monitor/music drive are in a separate room and I have my MWI TP buried in a cabinet where the display isn't readable.  I usually put together a play list in one room and go into the other to listen.  Kind of a pain.

I really like the looks of the new Duet Controller and just read it is now being sold separately for $299(ouch!).  The only drawback, besides the price, is the smallish screen size.

The Ipod touch sounds appealing as well, especially with its larger display.  I've seen these around used for about $200 which is my budget pain threshold.  Can these be used with out activating some monthly wifi or similar service? 

Any recommendations out there for something along these criteria?

Thx,
Ken

Similar thread started here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58908.msg523950#msg523950

funkmonkey

The MW Transporter is truly a great piece.  While I have not yet begun rolling tubes, I have been exploring the many internet radio options that the Transporter offers, while I am re-ripping my massive CD collection to FLAC.  This is a feature that comes on the standard unit, but it is a very cool one non-the-less.  I just want to say Kudos to Dan for picking a truly great piece to add his mods to.  I will be enjoying this thing for a long time to come, it really is the future of music.

Cheers,
Greg

rydenfan

A bit OT but the BOOM is a pretty cool new product for those of us with TP's that could use tunes in a bedroom or kitchen, etc. Certainly wont sound like our TP's but cool anyway...

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_boom.html

mikel51

A bit OT but the BOOM is a pretty cool new product for those of us with TP's that could use tunes in a bedroom or kitchen, etc. Certainly wont sound like our TP's but cool anyway...

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_boom.html

I've ordered one.

brucel

For those of you inclined to deny it but deep down still believe in the holy grail of audio, I can't claim to have found it but I can tell you I now know it's real.  I'm on my fifth day with my new Modwright Transporter and have definitely drunk the Kool Aid.  While my system is nowhere near the esoteric level I regularly envy after, I do have a Cary SLI 80 integrated amp and a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes coupled with the Transporter.  I am simply amazed at how good the system sounds with the Transporter.  Without wandering through the same old descriptive jargon, for me personally a slight graininess and harshness has been transformed into a highly resolved yet more "natural" sound.  Soundstage is incredible and both the separateness of each instrument and their cohesive combination are more engaging and lifelike.  To get a sound like this and retain the convenience of playlists and digital song selection is a real gift.  It looks as though this thread has meandered off topic recently, which is ok, but as a new and big-grinning devotee, I needed to add my appreciation for the artistry behind this effort.  Thanks Dan for so noticeably enhancing my enjoyment of music.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Bruce,
Welcome to Audio Circle, and welcome to the Modwright Transporter "believers" Club!  :thumb:  That sounds like a very simple wonderful system.

Now....it's time to tube roll!!!   :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56360.0
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2008, 01:58 pm by ted_b »

Philistine

For those of you inclined to deny it but deep down still believe in the holy grail of audio, I can't claim to have found it but I can tell you I now know it's real.  I'm on my fifth day with my new Modwright Transporter and have definitely drunk the Kool Aid.  While my system is nowhere near the esoteric level I regularly envy after, I do have a Cary SLI 80 integrated amp and a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Homes coupled with the Transporter.  I am simply amazed at how good the system sounds with the Transporter.  Without wandering through the same old descriptive jargon, for me personally a slight graininess and harshness has been transformed into a highly resolved yet more "natural" sound.  Soundstage is incredible and both the separateness of each instrument and their cohesive combination are more engaging and lifelike.  To get a sound like this and retain the convenience of playlists and digital song selection is a real gift.  It looks as though this thread has meandered off topic recently, which is ok, but as a new and big-grinning devotee, I needed to add my appreciation for the artistry behind this effort.  Thanks Dan for so noticeably enhancing my enjoyment of music.

Bruce, a few of us have reported that the TP has a 'burn-in' period and improves over a few months period - so you may find it gets even better over time.  As far as tube rolling is concerned I consider getting the rectifier tube sorted is the first option, if you check out the tube rolling thread you'll see all the chronological history of what's been tried so far - this should save you time & money if you want to go down this path.  Having said all of this, as you've discovered, the MW TP with the 'stock' tubes is still very very good.
Enjoy your TP - it's very addictive.

kenreau

Re: ModWright Transporter Feedback -> Ipod Touch users ?
« Reply #47 on: 9 Oct 2008, 09:26 pm »
Hope this is the right folder/thread for this?

I'm on the hunt for a remote replacement for my standard oem slimdevices rc.  My desktop cpu/monitor/music drive are in a separate room and I have my MWI TP buried in a cabinet where the display isn't readable.  I usually put together a play list in one room and go into the other to listen.  Kind of a pain.

I really like the looks of the new Duet Controller and just read it is now being sold separately for $299(ouch!).  The only drawback, besides the price, is the smallish screen size.

The Ipod touch sounds appealing as well, especially with its larger display.  I've seen these around used for about $200 which is my budget pain threshold.  Can these be used with out activating some monthly wifi or similar service? 

Any recommendations out there for something along these criteria?

Thx,
Ken

Similar thread started here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58908.msg523950#msg523950

I'm back... :o  I'm really leaning towards going with an Ipod Touch for my TP remote control.  I really like the idea of a larger display, etc.  Is there anyone here currently using one?  Happy with it?  I've dropped in the slim devices forum once or twice and it seems to be so fragmented it is hard to get a concensus of what works or not.

Also, I'm wondering once it is set up to run a TP, how much trouble is it to switch the Ipod Touch back to a standard device?  ie portable music player? 

Is there any reason to get a newer Gen 2 model?  8GB or 16GB?

Thanks,
Kenreau

grenamc

I am not a MW modded Transporter owner yet, but I do have a stock TP.  I use my iPhone as a remote and it works brilliantly.  I just have to use the web interface in "Touch" setting, then bookmark the IP of my Slimserver in Safari.  It is easy to navigate, pause, play, volumate...  whatever I need.  The only thing that is a little troublesome is adding a song to my favorites list within the Touch interface.  The best part: it is still my phone and a smallish iPod.  I have not yet found a reason to get a Duet.  Though, the Boom is certainly intriguing.

-Michael

Philistine

I have the Duet Controller and a Nokia N800.
The Duet has a better interface, it feels like a standard remote you would use for your TV or DVD player with an ipod type scroll wheel.  I find the screen too small and would prefer a touch screen type interface (this is partly because I refuse to wear reading glasses as I get older!).  So I'm still looking for my ideal - controller interface with a man-sized touch screen.
You can just use the ipod touch - I believe rydenfan uses this - without any subscriptions.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
I'm using the  ipeng software on iphone to control my MWT.  I have not trird it through safari directly, but I have to believe that the specific software/interface is better.  ipeng does call up through Safari, but has a nice interface.

Jerry

rydenfan

Yes, I use the ipod touch with ipeng software through mobile safari and it works very well. I enjoy being able to see the album art (albeit pretty small) while browseing as I know more of my obscure albuma by the picture than the name of the album.

kenreau

OK, thanks guys.  Ipod touch is now on my shopping list. 

Kenreau

anthony a.

can anyone share their experiences if using the mod transporter directly into tube amps (without a pre) sounds better?  i've only read a few comments on the other threads of a few who actually tried this.  i would like to go direct to my tube mono amps.  any experiences is appreciated.  thanks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
George (zybar) does it with his Atma-Sphere's I think.

Philistine

can anyone share their experiences if using the mod transporter directly into tube amps (without a pre) sounds better?  i've only read a few comments on the other threads of a few who actually tried this.  i would like to go direct to my tube mono amps.  any experiences is appreciated.  thanks.

I ran my TP directly into a Butler tube/ss hybrid amp for a few weeks with no problems, and also had no negative issues with sonic performance.  Over on the Slimdevices forum Sean Adams expressly warns against doing this for a number of reasons, the main one being a software issue or voltage fluctuation could reset the output volume to max and damage amp/spkrs/ears.  Some users who want to go direct into an amp use a fixed or variable attenuator in between the TP/amp.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
George (zybar) does it with his Atma-Sphere's I think.

I am actually running into my modified DCX right now and not directly into the Atma-Sphere MA-1's. 

Last week I did run directly into the MA-1's when using my Omega speaker setup and as usual, there were no issues.

George

orientalexpress

i run mine into a DAC amp directly and i could heard a very little pop noise came thru my speakers every 5 seconds.but i run it thru decco amp and no noise came out at all.love my md transporter,i was listening to those jazz station all weekend. :thumb:

lapsan

IronLion

I'm running mine into a pair of Signature 70.2's at the moment with a pair of EVS Ultimate Attenuators.  There was a point where I was running the TP into a pair of CIA D200's with the EVS UA's as well, and after a firmware upgrade the volume control had been disabled; had I not had the EVS attenuators in place, I would have probably blown my speakers or done some serious damage to my hearing.

modwright

I have just been made aware of a thread on the Audiogon Forum that may interest some who are considering having their units modified.  This is an unsolicited post and the comparison of the ModWright Transporter to many different fine digital components is worthwhile.

I have both the transporter stock, Modwright transporter, Ayre C5XE and the Marantz SA7s1. I can send a picture of all of them together if you email me.

Stock transporter is good for the money and pretty close to the Ayre. The key to the transporter is how you store the file. You have to be very careful with the ripper and itunes. I store them uncompressed and it does make a difference.

To say the DAC's in the Ayre are much better than the transporter is not true. It's all in the output section. Why do you think you never see modded Ayre? It's because they did such a great job on the output section there is nothing more you can do to it. Can't say the same thing about the Esoteric players. If you ever heard the difference between the Modwright and the stock unit you would shake your head. Just by changing the output section transformed that to reference status, the two sound nothing alike.

The Marantz is very good and a different flavor over the Ayre. I would say it is between the Esoteric and the Ayre. I had the Esoteric X-01 Limted and didn't like it at all. I would chose all of the players above over the Esoteric. To relaxed and soft for me.

The Ayre C5 is better in every way of the C7.

The Modwright Transporter is KING. I sold my Emm Labs SE DAC and transport for the Modwright. It is that good...

Link to forum thread: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1227537678&openusid&zzMtdking&4&5#Mtdking

Thank all of you for your continued support.

The new KWA 150 amp will begin shipping Dec. 15th and we have great things planned for '09.

Sincerely,

Dan W.