ModWright Transporter Feedback and general information thread......!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Very little that is truly "true balanced" topology all the way from in to out.  Most, including Modwright, use output transformers to achieve balanced XLR's.  It works!

Big Red Machine

Somebody catch me up.  What is the cost of the mod to the TP?  Is there one choice or are there power supply options and Bybee options, etc. now?

I know I missed Dan's February special but now that the ad has been pulled on Agon I can't see what was included. :duh:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Very little that is truly "true balanced" topology all the way from in to out.  Most, including Modwright, use output transformers to achieve balanced XLR's.  It works!

Atma-Sphere and BAT are truly balanced (I think).

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
Somebody catch me up.  What is the cost of the mod to the TP?  Is there one choice or are there power supply options and Bybee options, etc. now?

I know I missed Dan's February special but now that the ad has been pulled on Agon I can't see what was included. :duh:

Here's Dan's Audiogon forum response, feb 1:

Current price for the basic Modwright Transporter mod is $2000. The top Platinum Signature Truth mod is $2500.

We offer the fully modified new player with our basic mods for $3800 and with Platinum mods for $4200 - shipped.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
ModWright Instruments Inc.

Big Red Machine

What does the Platinum provide?

rydenfan

What does the Platinum provide?

Upgraded power supply and Bybees. I cannot remember if there is anything else, but it is a significant upgrade and well worth it IMO.

jwes

Is this the place to see what kind of luck people are having with different component supports?  I've been using those little Isol-blocks, which are cork in the middle, with rubber on the top and bottom (quite cost effective after the various tubes!).  When I use those, there is a nice impact in what feels like inner details.  It's not immediately obvious, but actually is nice after listening a couple of minutes.  But on the flip side what I do notice immediately is a loss in tightness of bass.  And hey - I like my bass tight!   :lol:  So anyway, I'm curious what others have tried regarding vibration control/support in the TP...  Thinking maybe some ebony cones.

Jim

rydenfan

I am a big fan of Symposium isolation products. I have a Svelte Shelf under my pre that I love  :thumb: It came with 3 of the precision couplers but I do not have the space to use them so I am going to place them under the TP in the next week or so and try them out.
http://www.symposiumusa.com/pcouplers.html

I also have a Shakti Stone placed on top of the TP over the power supply.
http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

zybar

• Volunteer
Is this the place to see what kind of luck people are having with different component supports?  I've been using those little Isol-blocks, which are cork in the middle, with rubber on the top and bottom (quite cost effective after the various tubes!).  When I use those, there is a nice impact in what feels like inner details.  It's not immediately obvious, but actually is nice after listening a couple of minutes.  But on the flip side what I do notice immediately is a loss in tightness of bass.  And hey - I like my bass tight!   :lol:  So anyway, I'm curious what others have tried regarding vibration control/support in the TP...  Thinking maybe some ebony cones.

Jim

I know that this isn't a cheap solution, but the Sistrum SP-101 platform I am using is killer!!

I have tried other footers, cones, etc...but has worked as well as the Sistrum platforms under the TP.  If you can't go all the way up to the SP-101, you can get some of the same attributes be using products "lower' in their lineup.  I also had some good success with Boston Audio Tune Block SE's.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
I have my TP on a six rack set of Sistrum SP-101's (called the SP-6), and individual ones under my Revelation speakers.  I have their Sp-04's under my Spectron monoblocks.  They are unquestionably the best, IMHO!!  I have a Shakti stone on my TP's power supply area.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2009, 05:40 pm by ted_b »

jwes

Great ideas - I had planned, but then forgot to look up the Shakti stones.  As for Sistrum, that's a new one to me.  Will check it out.  I had also considered one of the lesser Silent Running Audio platforms.  Did you guys ever try those en route to your Sistrum and Symposium solutions?

Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
Great ideas - I had planned, but then forgot to look up the Shakti stones.  As for Sistrum, that's a new one to me.  Will check it out.  I had also considered one of the lesser Silent Running Audio platforms.  Did you guys ever try those en route to your Sistrum and Symposium solutions?

Jim

At some point I am going to try and compare the mid-level SRA platforms that I use under my Atma-Sphere MA-1's with the Sistrum SP-01's (second from the top in the Sistrum lineup).  I would love to do the comparison with the SP-101 model, but I only own a single one of them.

George

modwright

We have used a product called 'Black Holes' under the Transporter with exceptional success.  These are a mechanical absorber, consisting of a mechanically inert ball, sitting in an AL cone that is further mechanically damped.  We used these at CES and other shows with great success.  If there is interest, I will contact the manufacturer about offering them as dealer to all of ModWright's customers.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dan w.

rydenfan

Sounds interesting, Dan. Where would I see more about them?

Once things settle down for you, I would love for you to try them against the Symposium Rollerblocks and see what you think.
http://www.symposiumusa.com/rollerblocks.html

jwes

I'd like to learn more about the Black Holes as well.  Is there a convenient link?  David, it doesn't look like Symposium has a price on the rollerblocks listed.  Do you know the list for a set of 3?

Jim

rydenfan

I'd like to learn more about the Black Holes as well.  Is there a convenient link?  David, it doesn't look like Symposium has a price on the rollerblocks listed.  Do you know the list for a set of 3?

Jim

You can get an idea of retail prices here:
http://www.thecableco.com/prodListing.php?man=65

I am quite friendly with a dealer and can help you with a nice discount should you have any interest.

owenmd

Sounds like Dan's isolation feet may be similar to Herbies Iso-cups:  http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/compfeet.htm

Having tried a few alternatives points, blocks and ball bearing types over the years, I've stuck recently with the "big tall Tenderfeet".... seem to work well under most gear?

Mark

Bigfish

We have used a product called 'Black Holes' under the Transporter with exceptional success.  These are a mechanical absorber, consisting of a mechanically inert ball, sitting in an AL cone that is further mechanically damped.  We used these at CES and other shows with great success.  If there is interest, I will contact the manufacturer about offering them as dealer to all of ModWright's customers.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dan w.

Dan:

Thank you for your post and yes I am interested!

Ken

Philistine

Shakti Stone
Ted, you've had a Shakti Stone for some time now and I see you have one also David.
I understand they absorb stray EMF, do they lower the noise floor, take away the grunge?

ted_b

• Volunteer
Yes, exactly Phil, they seem to take away the grunge and lower the floor somewhat.  The grunge, though, is their main target, at least in my setup.  I place it on the left side of the TP, over the power supply.