ModWright Transporter Feedback and general information thread......!

modwright

Please feel free to share your feedback as well as general comments, questions and discoveries about the ModWright Modified Transporter. Thanks to all of you who have supported us with our business and continued your support by sharing your experiences and discoveries with our new ModWright Modified Transporter.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2010, 09:58 pm by modwright »

NickS

Well, since my MW TP showed up just yesterday, let me go first.

The unit was unbelievably well packed for its trip and its three(!) external boxes arrived unblemished.

Installation was a breeze having previously set up Squeezecenter and ripped all my CD's.

This piece sounds exceptionally good right out of the box with stock tubes.  After 24 hours of break-in it really seems to be opening up even more.  I can't wait to get to the 300 hour mark and start rolling tubes.

So far, it is excellent and my experience is consistent with the reviewers as well as the early adopters who post around here.

CometCKO

I've owned my Modwright Transporter for 5 months now.  I originally purchased a Logitech Transporter on a 30-day trial.  At the end of the trial, I returned it,  because I was unhappy with the clean-but-arid sound.  This was a very hard decision for me, because I loved the concept, and the access to my music library that the Transporter offered, but I found myself bored, or "ancey" when listening.  So I sent it back!  Immediately, I missed having the convenience of instant access to my song library.  Was this a bad decision?  Should I buy one anyway?  Should I go with an alternative, such as the Red Wine Olive?

Fortunately, I heard about Dan's work on the Transporter.  I use some of Dan's gear already, so I knew that he would bring a fresh perspective on stage.  After hanging around for a month or so on the Audio Circle forum, and the Slim Devices forum, I used my bonus check to buy one of Dan's modded units.  I ordered in January, just as Dan was off to an audio show, and received it the beginning of February, well packed, and ready-to-go.

As an aside, I'm an analog guy.  About 80% of my listening time is LP's.  What's most remarkable to me now, looking back, is the profound impact the MW Transporter has had on my listening habits.  I probably listen about 5-6 hours a day, and about HALF my time is now spent listening to the Transporter!  This is the first digital I've heard that leaves me feeling satisfied, and not itching to reach for the turntable.  That's a HUGE win for Dan and his mods.  Weeks will go by without my turning on one of my CD players (McIntosh MCD7007; Musical Fidelity A5; Audio Aero Capitole).  I'll probably end up selling them.  All my new CD's are immediately ripped to FLAC, and the CD's go to storage. 

Net: The Modwright Transporter is the best digital I've heard, and so good that it has caused a tectonic shift in my listening habits.  I still listen every night to classical music on my turntable from my library of over 1800 LP's.  But for everything else--new classical, folk, vocals, and all the rest of the new music I keep buying, the Modwright Transporter rules!  I'm looking forward to Hi-Res musical downloads in the future. 

Thanks Dan for rescuing me from bad digital, and giving me something to look forward to every evening!

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

I echo everything Comet said.

An exceptional sounding product.....an "End of Search" type of product, if you will.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
I received my unit two days ago.  It appears to be everything that I have read here.

What I wanted to highlight, though, is the way Dan does business.  I ordered my unit mid-May and was given an expected ship date of 6/11.  I also had some special work done (extra set of RCA outputs).  The unit shipped on May 28th.  I was always taught to under-promise and over-deliver in business.  Dan obviously subscribes to the same philosophy.

modwright

Thanks for your support.  I can't claim to always ship early or on-time, but I do my best.  Service is key to me and the satisfaction of MWI customers is at the heart of my business plan.

Again, thank you all, who have purchased the ModWright Transporter as well as our other gear and have enjoyed it and shared their support here.  It is ALL about enjoying the music.

Take care,

Dan W.
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

Bigfish

This is a world that is full of choices and for me plopping down the money for the ModWright Transporter was a very tough decision.  I wanted a high quality, one box solution to replace the modified S3, Burson Buffer, modified power supply source I was previously using.  The modded S3/Buffer was very good and allowed me to refine it over time with additional mods as money became available.  However, the Duet hit the market and I was unable to justify (to myself) spending more money on the S3.  Again, based on the reviews here I contacted Dan and made the purchase. 

There is not much to say about the ModWright Transporter that has not already been posted here on AC.  I would also agree with posters that say the unit sounds good with the stock tubes but IMHO some of the NOS combinations take it to a entirely different sound level. 

Dan, thank you for working your magic and offering us such a great product.

Ken

Big Red Machine

Please, someone say something negative about this unit so I'll move on and forget about it! :banghead:

I'm enjoying my 36.5 immensely and mated with the Bolder SB3/CIA PS/Rev Aud PC/Cullen PSA DLIII DAC the sound is heavenly.  As most of us who get curious, I am wondering if overall the TP is better than the culmination of my devices.

Also, can the TP be a DAC for my CDP as well?  That might put me over the edge.

TIA

mikel51

I'm enjoying my 36.5 immensely and mated with the Bolder SB3/CIA PS/Rev Aud PC/Cullen PSA DLIII DAC the sound is heavenly.  As most of us who get curious, I am wondering if overall the TP is better than the culmination of my devices.

TIA

Along my journey,  I tried running my PC throught a Cullen modified DAC 3 (I liked my Kora Hermes tube DAC a little better).  I tried both the USB input to the DAC and spdif from my Lynx 22 sound card.  I judged the sound through the Lynx soundcard to be noticeably superior to the USB interface, but.....

The Modwright Transporter is in a completely different league than I was ever able to obtain with my HTPC computer directly as a digital source, or through a DAC.   The Modwright Transporter has beautiful sound and tonal balance, but also gets detail, rhythm and timing of the music to make it completely involving. 

and yes, you can use it as a DAC.

YMMV

mr_bill

Please, someone say something negative about this unit so I'll move on and forget about it! :banghead:

TIA

Yes the TP can be used as a dac for your cd transport.
It would be nice to get rid of all those boxes and replace with one nice Truth box1

Big Red Machine

Doesn't the mod remove the balanced outputs from use?

Big Red Machine

TIA

It would be nice to get rid of all those boxes and replace with one nice Truth box1

It appears as if there is only one digital coax input.  Can you use a BNC adapter for the CDP and then is it switchable on the remote or front panel top chose dig inputs?

mr_bill

TIA

It appears as if there is only one digital coax input.  Can you use a BNC adapter for the CDP and then is it switchable on the remote or front panel top chose dig inputs?

I know you can switch the digital inputs on the front panel or remote and I am pretty sure the xlr's are not disabled although it would be better for Dan to answer that one.
Bill

Big Red Machine

Maybe that was the other modder who disabled the balanced outputs?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
The XLR's are NOT disabled (that would be bad...this thing is balanced and the XLR's are the best connection, all things being equal).  The digital inputs are plentiful: an RCA coax, a BNC coax (my fave), toslink and AES/EBU XLR style....all selectable via the remote or front panel.

mr_bill

This may seem like a crazy question, but since the Modwright Transporter is mainly a new analog tube based output stage, can a person realize the same level of performance from just using a high quality tube based preamp with a stock Transporter?
I'm looking for some help with this and not trying to be negative at all as I'm considering the Modwright TP.
Thanks.

mikel51

This may seem like a crazy question, but since the Modwright Transporter is mainly a new analog tube based output stage, can a person realize the same level of performance from just using a high quality tube based preamp with a stock Transporter?
I'm looking for some help with this and not trying to be negative at all as I'm considering the Modwright TP.
Thanks.

Didn't work for me.  Also tried using a digital out from a solid state transporter to a very nice tube DAC that was my previous standard.  I found the MW transporter (running into a tube preamp) to be quite superior to the solid state transporter running into the same tube preamp. YMMV.

JerryH

Thanks.

Didn't work for me.  Also tried using a digital out from a solid state transporter to a very nice tube DAC that was my previous standard.  I found the MW transporter (running into a tube preamp) to be quite superior to the solid state transporter running into the same tube preamp. YMMV.

I can also confirm that a tubed preamp with stock Transporter won't equal the Modwright output. I had some time with the stock before I had mine modded. My turnaround was only 2 days, so no memory lapses either.. though difference is not even close.
While I'm here on the feedback thread, .. Yea, it's really outstanding! I made the jump from a highly modified XA777ES because I found myself playing vinyl 95% of the time, subjugating cd's  to background duties when I was too busy to flip records. I must say the pendulum has swung the other way. I still love vinyl but now I can go for a couple days not even realizing I've listened exclusively to the Transporter. My point is that, for me, digital can now coexist with analog. I think mine is about now fully broken in and I couldn't be happier.

grenamc

TIA

Seriously.  There are some people here trying to not buy this, lol.  I have a stock TP right now and I am pretty thrilled with it.  The Transporter was my first foray into digitally served music, and the ModWright modification would mark my first vacuum tube purchase.  I love the idea of early audio tech being integrated into one of the most bleeding edge devices on the market right now.  The mix of old and new is very appealing to me. I am certainly tempted to get the mod.  Threads like this certainly push me further down that road, or make me want to advance the upgrade...  how about tomorrow?

-Michael

modwright

Hi guys, I have been remiss in not putting together an 'owner's manual' for the ModWright Transporter.  I guess I felt that the manual for the transporter pretty much covered everything and that our mod was plug and play, but I also realize that this is easy for me to say when I designed the mod ;).

Rather than copy and past the manual here, if you have a unit, please just email and I will reply with the attached doc.

Thanks,

Dan W.