LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!

findog3103

Re: LampizatOr Generation 4/Level 4... Now we're talking!
« Reply #160 on: 14 Sep 2013, 12:47 am »
Holy moly!

Just plugged in my new Lampizator gen 4/level 4 and whoa! Amazing. I really didn't think my system could sound this good. And right out of the box.  I don't know how to describe except musical. I hear the interplay of instruments more and it sounds like I am right there with the musicians. I was a little doubtful but I see why people get so gaga over it. I have tried the Benchmark dac2, teac ud-501 and Peachtree iNova and, no sir, they are not even close.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013, 08:03 pm by findog3103 »

wisnon

« Reply #161 on: 16 Sep 2013, 06:57 am »
Feedback from a UK forum:
A couple of other nice touches - the L4 was optimised for the input impedance of my preamp and I was asked what output level I'd like. Plumped for 2.5V but TBH that obviously varies with the tube installed. CV491 (ECC82) requires noticeably more preamp gain than either ECC40 or 6829.

The L4 is excellent, Norm. It is hard to be read as objective without people thinking it is just self-affirming "I made the right decision" type of prose.

The price leap between the L3 and the L4 I have is substantial, but the increase in performance is "on another level". And indeed it is a level 4 - 1 level up!

Which kind of makes me extremely curious as to the quality of sonics available from a 5 or 6. I don't believe it'd be possible to have the same degree of lift in performance as witnessed between L3->L4 V-Cap'd.

I haven't heard a digital source that betters the L4's level of performance in my system. But that's just my opinion and biasing, I suppose.

========================
I thought it'd be interesting to take the Lukasz description of the Gen 4 sound and comment on them. In relation to the previous generation I can't comment, which is what his comments refer to. So my observations are simply objective rather than relative. Or where I have felt like it they are relative to an L3.

1) The musical changes are among others: more palpable sound, more “here” in front of you. You can isolate separate threads easier and follow them easier and understand who is doing what.

3D projection is very good. But the bolded bit is absolutely spot on. Rather than stuff getting a bit hashed together, it is incredibly easy to follow various aspects of some particular part in both simple and complex passages. It's the ability to handle complex passages that really stands out - when there's a lot in the mix it really seems quite oddly good at doing this.

It is a bit like comparing a cheap cartridge to an expensive one whose tracking ability is vastly better. Only the level to which this is taken with the L4 is beyond any analogue or digital source I have ever heard in my system. It is literally brilliant at it.

3) There is a deeper and more tuneful bass.

Well it is deep. It is tuneful. And in the L4 it is better controlled than in L3. It is also fast without being "forced fast" if that makes any sense.

4) Human voices are more human.

A fellow Apogee owner from Lichtenstein came round and remarked how good voices were with the L3. They are more real sounding with the L4. But then so are instruments - which get close to convincingly being in front of you. But then you could say that about quite a few good DACs.

5) The 3D space is a more believable one.

No question the L4 can place various elements of the sound where you'd expect them to be. With electronic music that fails to take on much meaning, though, but it still conjures up a very nice soundstage.

The L4 is considerably better than the L3 was with electronic music. It is quicker, and the bass doesn't lose the required control/grip. But it'll never beat my old Tri-Vista in its ability to shove out bass that is both very controlled and subjectively fast.

6) Long time fatigue is significantly smaller

Agreed. But then again rougher, harsher sounds can sometimes help to maintain interest, even if it is ultimately fatiguing. You cannot have everything. It is all a compromise.

7) Any remaining “digital roughness” is completely gone.

Totally true. And maybe hard to get used to. A prime example of this is the Libertines first album which I used to find a bit difficult to get through with the Tri-Vista and other DACs. It sounded bloody fabulous on Friday night. Really clear, alive and energetic and not at all harsh/rough. This aspect seems to apply to pretty much everything - there is no "digital glare" to speak of. A bit uncanny and quite unusual.

I have to concede that from all the above you just don't know how it sounds, just like any other written review. All you can do is imagine... but the above should help point you in a direction or frame of mind as to the sorts of things that this DAC is good at.

vortrex

« Reply #162 on: 25 Sep 2013, 04:25 pm »
I got one of the G4 L4 units 2 weeks ago with the Jensen caps, which is still breaking in.  It's technically a Level 4.5 as they call it, since it has the Level 5 PCB inside my unit.  I'll preface this and say I am not a digital guy.  The digital I have heard prior (audio show) has not been my cup of tea.  I really like an organic 3D flavor, which digital has not shown me before. 

Not having the right pieces to set up this DAC properly, I used the USB cable from my printer and connected it to a Macbook Pro running a trial version of Audirvana Plus.  I then got a couple of hi-rez FLAC albums that I am very familiar with on vinyl.  I was quite surprised to hear how well this DAC stood up against my vinyl rig (TW Acustic Raven, Ortofon RS-309D, Ortofon Synergy SPU, Leben RS-30EQ, Hashimoto HM7 SUT)!  Clearly the DAC was producing a more solid foundation.  What I was not expecting is for the digital to have dimension to it.  Digital to me always spelled soulless and uninteresting.  I won't say it had the depth of the analog rig, but the width was there.  Images hover in space.  There's a different presentation overall, I would say the DAC is bolder.  If you are looking for a way out of analog, this could be your exit point.  Looking back to all the previous vinyl rigs I have had in the past, I would choose this DAC over them.  I think the analog setup I have now is the tipping point.  Maybe the Big Six would close the gap even more or cross it?

I'll also say I was expecting something that was kind of DIY-like.  That is not the case at all.  It might have a utilitarian look to it, but the DAC is very well built and solid.  It's better than some "Made in the USA" gear I have had before.  The packaging was also first rate and it arrived only 1 HOUR different from the time Lukasz quoted me at shipment.  Great service for sure.

setamp

« Reply #163 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:18 am »
Has anyone compared a GZ34 to a 6106 in their level 4?

fridays

« Reply #164 on: 30 Sep 2013, 01:28 am »
Does no one use hirez files with the Lampizator, hear any difference or is it so good at redwood hirez isn't warranted

Big Red Machine

« Reply #165 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:13 pm »
Does no one use hirez files with the Lampizator, hear any difference or is it so good at redwood hirez isn't warranted

Hi rez (not DSD) in my L4 is fantastic.  If I can get a program to not pop and click between tracks that would be even better.

wisnon

« Reply #166 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm »
BRM,
Are you using USB? Pops occur with which program? If Audirvana+, does it happen when playing back off a playlist in order or when skipping tracks randomly?

I use a USB converter on my L4, no USB module and I never gets pops and clicks.

I use a Lindemann DDC or an iFi iLink. (Both sound great and are integer mode capable on A+)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #167 on: 30 Sep 2013, 12:46 pm »
BRM,
Are you using USB? Pops occur with which program? If Audirvana+, does it happen when playinyback of a playlist in order or when skipping tracks randomly?

I use a USB converter on my L4, no USB module and I never gets pops and clicks.

I use a Lindemann DDC or an iFi iLink. (Both sound great and are integer mode capable on A+)

You have the Amanero chipset in yours?  I get popping anc clicking with Foobar and JRiver both.  Don't we lose fidelity with using a USB converter instead of straight USB??

wisnon

« Reply #168 on: 30 Sep 2013, 01:07 pm »
I dont have a USB module on my L4.

I have 3 converters, a Lindemann, iLink and an OR4. the OR4 is not integer mode capable and as its self-powered, it more a hassle to set up. I will be getting a Hynes SR3 next month and if its compatible, I will use with the OR4, instead of the SMPS.

vortrex

« Reply #169 on: 30 Sep 2013, 03:45 pm »
You have the Amanero chipset in yours?  I get popping anc clicking with Foobar and JRiver both.  Don't we lose fidelity with using a USB converter instead of straight USB??

mine had the Amanero chipset and I went straight USB with Audirvana+ and did not have any pops or clicks with hi rez files.

findog3103

« Reply #170 on: 30 Sep 2013, 04:07 pm »
I get pops and clicks when switching tracks manually or when audirvana switches between albums. Allowing audirvana go from song to song in a particular album, no pops and clicks.

fridays

« Reply #171 on: 30 Sep 2013, 04:45 pm »
I use Audirvana Lukaz told me to upsample everything to 176, so I have compared standard redbook vs the upsampled and yes the upsample sounds much better, thats why I was wondering if hirez was even worth buying

sgr

« Reply #172 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:21 pm »
I ordered a Level 5 and Transport yesterday. Can't wait.  Thanks for the encouragement Wisnon and Gopher.
I was wondering which power cords, interconnects, digital, and USB cables Lampy owners have used?

Also has anyone experienced powercords by Lukasz or the Silk power conditioner?

Thanks,
Steven 8)

wisnon

« Reply #173 on: 1 Oct 2013, 02:23 pm »
I use the lampi Python Power cable (Europe) for the PCM Dac.

I also have the basic Silk, but I need to get it upgraded to the phase Flipper version, as that is where the real magic is!

Power here in CH is very stable, so Power conditioners are of limited value.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #174 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:15 pm »
Hi rez (not DSD) in my L4 is fantastic.  If I can get a program to not pop and click between tracks that would be even better.

Problem solved.  Now to listen more and give my feedback on this great dac.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #175 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:29 pm »
Problem solved.  Now to listen more and give my feedback on this great dac.

How did you solve it?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

wisnon

« Reply #177 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:36 pm »
Yes, either play back bit perfect, or dont upsample more than the limits of the PCM Dac chip (192khz). He was upsampling to 384khz.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #178 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:41 pm »
Jason, thanks!  Pete, have you also tried no upsampling?

wisnon

« Reply #179 on: 1 Oct 2013, 03:48 pm »
Ted, Scot should get the unit today, he expects.