Favorite Tube Integrated

Don_S

Favorite Tube Integrated
« on: 18 Mar 2020, 05:59 pm »
I am looking at integrated tube amplifiers. Suggestions and favorites please. Criteria: 65wpc or more and current production or a newer model available. Hybrids acceptable. Budget-TBD.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Don

Wind Chaser

Re: Favorite Tube Integrated
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2020, 06:33 pm »
Why tubes?

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2020, 06:37 pm »
Why tubes?

Because I have solid state and I want to try something different. I have been to many audio shows and the best rooms to my ears were usually tube powered.

thorman

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2020, 06:47 pm »
 Within it power ratings and the right Tubes , the Leben CS-600 ( Original ) is incredible piece. I won't do everything for everybody but in the right set up, and under the right conditions ( though not cheap ) it is an incredible unit......

Meicheng

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2020, 06:55 pm »
Rogue Cronus Magnum is a very good tube amp. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:06 pm »
Because I have solid state and I want to try something different. I have been to many audio shows and the best rooms to my ears were usually tube powered.

When it comes to tubes then you should be looking at single ended triodes (SETs). In terms of sound quality, SETs are vastly superior to anything push pull. I don’t have any direct experience with OTLs, but that’s another subject.

I have owned a variety of SETs, all of them wonderful in their own unique way depending on the flavour you like. But I have since moved on in recent years to something quite unexpected in the realm of SS that is musically far more satisfying than any of the many SETs I have owned over the years. I, among others can say without question that the wonderful tube amps we’ve owned over the years were very nice in their time, but we’ve have found something even better - as to be expected in the 21st century.  :D

If your goal is as implied all about obtaining the best possible sound quality, then you need to look beyond tubes. I can assure you that the answer will not disappoint.  :wink:

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:26 pm »
EDIT:  I, among others can say without question that the wonderful tube amps we’ve owned over the years were very nice in their time, but we’ve have found something even better - as to be expected in the 21st century.  :D

If your goal is as implied all about obtaining the best possible sound quality, then you need to look beyond tubes. I can assure you that the answer will not disappoint.  :wink:

OK, so what SS do you recommend that is better than tubes. I do like power especially more power than SETs.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:31 pm »
OK, so what SS do you recommend that is better than tubes. I do like power especially more power than SETs.

IF one goes SS, then it's very hard to get better than Devialet.  The used 120's go for 2500.00 or so on A'gon.  They are essentially an integrated amp with a built in DAC that sounds better than just about any other unit at the same power level.  It's configurable for phono as well. 

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:33 pm »
When it comes to tubes then you should be looking at single ended triodes (SETs). In terms of sound quality, SETs are vastly superior to anything push pull. I don’t have any direct experience with OTLs, but that’s another subject.

I have owned a variety of SETs, all of them wonderful in their own unique way depending on the flavour you like. But I have since moved on in recent years to something quite unexpected in the realm of SS that is musically far more satisfying than any of the many SETs I have owned over the years. I, among others can say without question that the wonderful tube amps we’ve owned over the years were very nice in their time, but we’ve have found something even better - as to be expected in the 21st century.  :D

If your goal is as implied all about obtaining the best possible sound quality, then you need to look beyond tubes. I can assure you that the answer will not disappoint.  ;)

This is very subjective.   I've heard plenty of class A push pull that sounds WAY better than SET.  The distortion from a lot of SET amps is excessive, and the speakers needed to get them to sound good are few and far between when it comes to frequency response. 

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2020, 08:52 pm »
I have owned lots of solid state and tubes, including several SETs.  Push-pull can sound as good as SET, but I have never heard a push-pull amp that was way better.  Nor have I heard an SET that was way better than push-pull.    When it comes to laying my money down, I am currently using SET, but I am not wed to the technology.  I have a push-pull on the shelf if I ever hanker for some horsepower.    And there are quite a few efficient speakers out there as well.  My Spatial Audio X5s sound great with whatever amp I use, but a 45 amp with less than 2 watts is my current favorite.   If it makes you happy, it is a good amp.  Sad as it is for absolutists, the only way to determine if you will like an amp is to listen to it.  YMMV

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2020, 09:01 pm »
I am looking at integrated tube amplifiers. Suggestions and favorites please. Criteria: 65wpc or more and current production or a newer model available. Hybrids acceptable. Budget-TBD.

Don

I'd try Primaluna Dialogue HP or 400 (new model). Has about 70wpc I think. I had a Dialogue One which had about 35-40 wpc depending on tubes. Sounded great. Currently have a Line Magnetic LM508, which is a SET. It is 48wpc and better sounding but not by miles. But it gets really hot and isn't as quiet as the Primaluna. When I had the Primaluna I put in Sophia Electric EL-34's and it was amazing sounding. Both are great.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2020, 10:21 pm »
When it comes to SETs, there are very good SETs and there are run of the mill SETs. A very good SET will leave a very good PP amp sonically in the dust. A run of the mill SET may face competition from a decent PP.

But since the OP wants more than SET power, a SET isn’t a viable solution. Enter the Cherry Maraschino. $1900 will get you 200 x 2 of the cleanest and most musical watts money can buy. I can PM you a list of names you can discreetly inquire as to what amps they’ve used before and where they once stood on the question of tubes.

Just so you know, the Cherry STM isn’t exactly eye candy / audio jewelry. It’s stripped down minimalist bare bones, just like a racing car - no bells and whistles - it’s sole purpose is maximum sound quality and nothing more.

You see lots of Devialet’s frequently come up for sale on the used market. Not so with the Cherry Maraschino. Unless you’re moving up the line, it is truly an end game amplifier.

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2020, 03:33 am by Wind Chaser »

morganc

« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2020, 10:43 pm »
I have owned dozens of tube amps including many well regarded set amps. 

Decware Torii is one of my favorites for an imtegrated that suits your needs.  The mk iv version was quite impressive in my system and easy to find used for a good price. 

By far the best tube amp I ever owned was the Joule Electra mono blocks.  Second best was the Coincident Frankenstein 300b. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2020, 04:54 am »

Don
This is a unsual request and not suited to tubes, at this hi power level there is few amps avaliable, I can only remember BAT VK75 not integrated and at this power they all use a lot of tubes, a lot of heat and not SET only PushPull, being recomended a Class D as Maraschino STM 36V at $1200 instead.

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:47 pm »
When it comes to SETs, there are very good SETs and there are run of the mill SETs. A very good SET will leave a very good PP amp sonically in the dust. A run of the mill SET may face competition from a decent PP.

But since the OP wants more than SET power, a SET isn’t a viable solution. Enter the Cherry Maraschino. $1900 will get you 200 x 2 of the cleanest and most musical watts money can buy. I can PM you a list of names you can discreetly inquire as to what amps they’ve used before and where they once stood on the question of tubes.

Just so you know, the Cherry STM isn’t exactly eye candy / audio jewelry. It’s stripped down minimalist bare bones, just like a racing car - no bells and whistles - it’s sole purpose is maximum sound quality and nothing more.

You see lots of Devialet’s frequently come up for sale on the used market. Not so with the Cherry Maraschino. Unless you’re moving up the line, it is truly an end game amplifier.

SET amps only sond good with a lower percentage of speakers.  The distortion numbers alone get up there with many SET amps.  It's not easy to find speakers  that support SET which display a balanced frequency  response.  Horses for courses.

Regarding Devialet,   owners tend to move up the line over time, and sell their existing units to upgrade.  A lot of the upgrades deal with streaming, while the Sonics are outstanding pretty much across the board.   Devialet also makes and sells more units than most of the small boutique companies.   While I take reviews with a grain of salt, every Devialet review is very positive,  considered among the very best.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2020, 04:49 pm »
Primaluna, Rogue audio and Vincent Audio (both have several integrateds at various price points).   What is  your budget?

https://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9#/sort:ss_price_min:desc/perpage:500

Dsaldivar

« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2020, 09:29 pm »
I have this amp http://www.jolida.com/product/fusion-3502s

A very sweet amplifier that uses any kt tubes up to KT150 including EL34s and 6550s. Highly recommended!

bfstrysik

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2020, 10:54 pm »
Rogue Cronus Magnum. 100 wpc. Phono stage. Solid built in the US. On the used market. a good deal.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:23 pm »
IME, Cary tend to have the best tone, probably because of their use of Octals in the driver stage.  The SLI-80 is an integrated and does 80 watts per channel:

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2020, 11:27 pm »
Always preferred octal to 9 pin miniature tubes.