Favorite Tube Integrated

thorman

Re: Favorite Tube Integrated
« Reply #80 on: 29 Oct 2020, 12:54 pm »
 I have tried different EL34's ( including the Sophia Blue Glass ) but still feel the 6L6 ( Reflector 6P3 ) worked best for me. I purchase 3 Quads of Cryo'd Reflector 6p3's and think these tubes are a wonderful match..I am considering the NOS RCS 6l6 GC Black Plates. Only because I need to know if they are worth all the Hype..

Depending on which Power tubes I use, I also use various, 6CS7 quads to vary to dial in closer......Hope this info helps someone out there.....

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #81 on: 29 Oct 2020, 04:56 pm »
EL84's? They have a great reputation for musicality.

You have to work really hard to build. bad sounding EL84 amp. My favorite sounding pentode.

dave

mick wolfe

« Reply #82 on: 29 Oct 2020, 05:03 pm »
The Leben CS-600 would be my choice for sure between the two Leben's. Beautifully voiced and opens the door for a greater variety of speakers. This of course if 30-35 watts is still enough power for the speaker in question.  The Roger's amps look quite interesting as well, especially if more power is required.

veloceleste

« Reply #83 on: 29 Oct 2020, 05:29 pm »
Love my Quicksilver integrated amp. Four el84's per channel to make 20wpc. Stable into 2 ohms loads. Great bass and has a sound that can neither be classified as tubey or solid state. Punchy, clean, clear and smooth.  Lower power makes speaker matching important if you want to listen loud.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #84 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:24 pm »
The Leben CS-600 would be my choice for sure between the two Leben's. Beautifully voiced and opens the door for a greater variety of speakers. This of course if 30-35 watts is still enough power for the speaker in question.  The Roger's amps look quite interesting as well, especially if more power is required.

I can't find an owner's manual for the 600. Does the older 600 unit allow for the same tube options the newer unit allows, like KT120's, etc? I'm guessing those tubes came out after the release of the 600 unit.

The review of the 600X does mention many tubes allowed by properly throwing the internal switches.

mick wolfe

« Reply #85 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:59 pm »
I original 600 I listened to a few years back used any 6L6 variety. But I believe it could be used with EL34 types as well. The newer 600 seems to accept 6L6 types, EL34's, KT 77's, KT 88's and 6550's. I don't believe KT120's are invited to the party though. 

thorman

« Reply #86 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:14 am »
 Yes the Original CS-600 can use the power tubes you listed. You can also use the KT120's ( using the 6l6 tube switches ) . I did try the KT120's in my CS-600 and felt more power but the Mid's were Muddy and never matched the Magic Mid's of a quality 6L6.. My guess is the Auto Bias prevents the KT120 to Bias high enough to fully benefit the tube needs. Some CS-600 owners love the KT120, but not me..

Big Red Machine

« Reply #87 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:18 am »
I found this from the 6Moons review of the 600:

"There are many other tube choices for extra entertainment. The CS600 can run a variety of tubes from the 6L6 and EL34 families by varying the positions of the cathode & plate switches. In the 6L6 family, there are the aforementioned 6L6GC, the 6L6WGB, the 6L6GB, the KT66 and the 350B. In the EL34 family the there is the EL34 and the KT77. In addition 6550 and KT88 tubes (ditto for the 350B) can be used if you leave the top cover off to allow for the tubes taller height. It would be nice if there were some circular vent holes in the top cover so you could leave it in place with the taller tubes. For a truly excellent discussion of tubes that are compatible with the CS600, how to set the position of the switches for each type, and some tips on choosing some extra-special NOS tubes for your CS600, visit the Soundscape Hi-Fi website. For another good read, check out Watford Valves test report for the different EL34 and 6L6GC tubes."

Big Red Machine

« Reply #88 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:19 am »
Crap, another question; I assume the Leben does not utilize a remote control as none is ever mentioned.

thorman

« Reply #89 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:28 am »
 No remote ( old school ) ! 

TomS

« Reply #90 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:32 am »
Crap, another question; I assume the Leben does not utilize a remote control as none is ever mentioned.
My Don Sachs Valhalla uses almost all those tubes and has a really nice remote  8)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #91 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:49 am »
My Don Sachs Valhalla uses almost all those tubes and has a really nice remote  8)

Does it have the bass power? I get the impression from the Leben reviews that those transformers are beasts.

thorman

« Reply #92 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:53 am »
 I will say that if your a Bass guy ( or girl ) this would not be the right piece for you. If your a Midrange guy or gal, this is the piece for you..Great Balance, but not a ton of Bass.

TomS

« Reply #93 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:55 am »
Does it have the bass power? I get the impression from the Leben reviews that those transformers are beasts.
Oh yes. Don's transformers are no slouch either. Plus, the X-series has a Hypex Fusion amp for 90 hz on down.

richidoo

« Reply #94 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:59 am »
My Don Sachs Valhalla

Sweeet  8)
You always get all the cool stuff Tom!  :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #95 on: 30 Oct 2020, 01:05 am »
Sweeet  8)
You always get all the cool stuff Tom!  :thumb:
I have some fun ...  :green:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

Big Red Machine

« Reply #97 on: 30 Oct 2020, 10:20 am »
So right now I could buy a new Raven Osprey, a used Leben C600, used Mastersound 845, or a new Sachs integrated all for approximately $4500.  All around 30 wpc.

:scratch:

I don't like the looks of the Sachs and don't like no remote on the Leben but really like the looks.

More noodling

jriggy

« Reply #98 on: 30 Oct 2020, 05:20 pm »
BRM,

There is lots of good info on the two Leben (past and present) units at Jeff’s Place, which is now over on Positive Feedback.

And I don’t know about Ayon now, but back around 2012 I owned an Ayon Triton II int. I loved it. It sounded great...but I had room issues at the time so I thought that was why I couldn’t get a ‘perfect’ soundstage out of it; always seemed disjointed of sorts.. Then a few years ago I read a comment from someone who’s posts I respect and they said their Spirit II or III integrated sounded great but that Ayon doesn’t get soundstaging quite right. Maybe that’s changed or maybe it was extenuating circumstances for both of us.

TomS

« Reply #99 on: 30 Oct 2020, 05:29 pm »
BRM,

There is lots of good info on the two Leben (past and present) units at Jeff’s Place, which is now over on Positive Feedback.

And I don’t know about Ayon now, but back around 2012 I owned an Ayon Triton II int. I loved it. It sounded great...but I had room issues at the time so I thought that was why I couldn’t get a ‘perfect’ soundstage out of it; always seemed disjointed of sorts.. Then a few years ago I read a comment from someone who’s posts I respect and they said their Spirit II or III integrated sounded great but that Ayon doesn’t get soundstaging quite right. Maybe that’s changed or maybe it was extenuating circumstances for both of us.
Well, he should get a Vinnie Rossi L2iSE and be done  :green: