Favorite Tube Integrated

ric

Re: Favorite Tube Integrated
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2020, 01:29 pm »
Ditto on the VAC, as I own an older Avatar and prefer triode mode. Just saw a glowing review on Decware's 25th Anniversary Zen Triode, by Mr. Guttenberg on YT. Intriguing, AND amazing prices!

Houston Kid

« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2020, 10:48 pm »
Before trying a tube amp, I would’ve thought I needed a pretty fair amount of power, like 60 watts or more. Then I found a reasonable deal on a 25-watt Decware Torii MKIII. With speaker sensitivity of 90dB in my case, and sitting about 9 feet away, this system will play louder than I can stand. I’m curious now how the SET Decware amps would do in this room.

DRHamp

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm »
For anyone looking at tube Integrated amps in the 20 - 30 watt range I highly recommend you check out Raven Audio.  Their Avian series of integrateds are outstanding, made in the USA (Texas in fact) and they offer a 45 day risk free guarantee.  Dave Thomson and the staff there are a class act and always willing to answer any questions you may have.
I have the Nighthawk MK3, a 20wpc push-pull ultralinear and one of the finest integrateds I've heard at any price.
They have an Elite line also, but those are well out of my price range. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #43 on: 23 Oct 2020, 01:45 am »
Hey guys, good thread. I am contemplating Spatial X5's next spring and with their high efficiency, does it require a certain kind of tube type to keep the noise down with such high sensitivity? In other words should I consider an 845 tube over a KT88? I don't know anything about either but trying to educate myself with your help.

I've been reading reviews on different brands of integrateds. Thinking about selling my solid state preamp and amp and using an integrated since the wattage needs should be much lower. (Although I'd still like to have 50 wpc or higher in case I ever go to less efficient speakers).

Anybody own an Ayon? Just a brand I find interesting (among others).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #44 on: 23 Oct 2020, 01:57 am »
Hey guys, good thread. I am contemplating Spatial X5's next spring and with their high efficiency, does it require a certain kind of tube type to keep the noise down with such high sensitivity? In other words should I consider an 845 tube over a KT88? I don't know anything about either but trying to educate myself with your help.

I've been reading reviews on different brands of integrateds. Thinking about selling my solid state preamp and amp and using an integrated since the wattage needs should be much lower. (Although I'd still like to have 50 wpc or higher in case I ever go to less efficient speakers).

(does it require a certain kind of tube type to keep the noise down)
Hi,
The amp noise floor are not result of the type of tube, but to a good construction, good quality parts(mainly transformers) and the circuit used.

A 20W 845 SE amp usually are a better amp than a 6W SE KT88 amp, of course if you can afford retube a 845 every 1500/2000 hours.

Personally I always prefer the Russian military GM70 tube($20 each) over 211/845/805 that are commercial grade tubes.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2020, 03:14 am by FullRangeMan »

mick wolfe

« Reply #45 on: 23 Oct 2020, 02:53 am »

A friend of mine recently sold his Spatial's. Honestly don't know if they were X5's or X3's, but they were one of the two. His take was that he needed 75-100 tube watts to comfortably achieve the volume levels he was looking for. This in fairly large room at generous but not insane volume levels. I believe the last amp he used was a Music Ref. RM9 of some ilk. As always, a lot will depend on room size and listening levels.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2020, 02:57 am »
So if the design is good the tube type is not much of an issue?  Good to hear.

I see flea watt amps touted as "better" and was wondering if 50 wpc amps inherently have designs that are less compatible with high efficiency speakers.

So if I concentrate on design quality I should be okay? Of course we'll get into lots of opinions. I expect that and welcome them.

I also see where Clayton likes both the ZOTL style and Sachs designs. Both pretty classy. My first blush was that the LTA's are a little pricey and the Sachs are a little light on watts. I'll do lots of reading over the winter.

You guys keep chatting and I'll take your thoughts into consideration.

Any reason to just keep my solid state Class A Luxman and bybpass tubes for the Spatials?

morganc

« Reply #47 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:02 am »
I currently have paired with X-5's
Don Sachs Pre:   I cannot recommend this highly enough.  The slight touch of warmth is exactly what I wanted. 
Don Sachs KT-88 Amp and
DAC 2-Cherry.

I recently picked up the Don Sachs Amp and its breaking in now. I have owned 30 or so tube amps and though I loved the 2-Cherry I wanted to hear a tube amp in this system and at the moment I am not sure which amp I like best. 

What I can say is a DS Pre with either of the above amps is pretty incredible. 

I am going to go back and forth between the two amps once I get the tubes broken in but for now I may actually be preferring the speed and clarity of the 2 Cherry. 

I did consider the LTA units as well though I have not heard them. 

I did own a DAC STM without the tube Pre and it was good but no where near as good as it is now.  There is great synergy at the moment. 

TomS

« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2020, 12:08 pm »
I have the Don Sachs Valhalla 30wpc KT66/6L6 integrated with Spatial X5's. I also have a LTA microZOTL preamp, currently in for "level 2" upgrades. I hope to try an LTA UltraLinear with the preamp at some point (20wpc). I tried the X5's with a Nord Hypex MP502 and they handled it very well, lots of life. I think the Valhalla at 30wpc is plenty, but I wouldn't go much less. The other important thing is it has very low noise. You'd also want a lower gain structure if possible to keep the noise down.

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2020, 03:18 pm by TomS »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #49 on: 23 Oct 2020, 12:24 pm »
IME, Cary tend to have the best tone, probably because of their use of Octals in the driver stage.  The SLI-80 is an integrated and does 80 watts per channel:

Now I was getting pretty excited over this amp a week or so ago and then I read a negative review on it and it threw me off the trail.
I've owned a couple of Cary's in the past and liked them but wasn't really tube-savvy enough to appreciate them.

I'm also smitten with the build quality of the Ayons but again, know nothing about them.

Stercom

« Reply #50 on: 23 Oct 2020, 02:30 pm »
I'm literally watching the UPS delivery function where you can see where the truck is thats going to deliver your package. I had a Erhard Basie built that is being delivered today! haha I went with Lundahl OPT’s and Mundorf EVO Oil caps. I also have a quad of Sophia Electric blue EL-34s waiting for it. I'll let you know how it sounds.

JCarney

« Reply #51 on: 23 Oct 2020, 02:37 pm »
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Manley Labs. I have an original Stingray, and it is a wonderful integrated.

JCarney

morganc

« Reply #52 on: 23 Oct 2020, 03:00 pm »
Now I was getting pretty excited over this amp a week or so ago and then I read a negative review on it and it threw me off the trail.
I've owned a couple of Cary's in the past and liked them but wasn't really tube-savvy enough to appreciate them.

I'm also smitten with the build quality of the Ayons but again, know nothing about them.

I've always wanted to check out the Ayon as well as they are pretty! 
And the new Dennis Had amps (founder of Cary and sold on eBay) are likely a good match for the X-5's though the wattage maybe a bit low if your space is large. 

InfernoSTi

« Reply #53 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:17 pm »
Take a look at Quicksilver Audio: http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/integrated-amplifier/

I have the Silver 88's and love them...I also have heard the Mid Mono's in a friends system and that was what inspired me to pick up the Silver 88s.

If you need the power and the ability to drive a very difficult load, Quicksilver is your tube amp of choice.   Mike Sanders is so well regarded in audio community.

Very respectfully,
John

sunnydaze

« Reply #54 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:32 pm »
Scratch that itch!
At 42% of retail might be worth giving this Ayon a shot.  If it doesn't work, resell price risk is surely limited.     :dunno:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa5i78-ayon-audio-orion-ii-integrated-tube-amp-tube

No connection to the seller.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2020, 06:20 pm by sunnydaze »

Stercom

« Reply #55 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:33 pm »
Take a look at Quicksilver Audio: http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/integrated-amplifier/

I have the Silver 88's and love them...I also have heard the Mid Mono's in a friends system and that was what inspired me to pick up the Silver 88s.

If you need the power and the ability to drive a very difficult load, Quicksilver is your tube amp of choice.   Mike Sanders is so well regarded in audio community.

Very respectfully,
John
Agreed, Quicksilver and Mike Sanders are great. Love to support American designers/builders when possible. I had a pair of his V4s for a couple years. His integrated is only 20 watts/ch and uses a tube I wasn't familiar with - thats why I didn't order one for my current project and went with the more well known EL-34 putting out 40 watts/ch.

nature boy

« Reply #56 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:34 pm »
Anything from Decware! For lower sensitivity speakers the Zen Mystery or Torii MKIV push-pull amps and if you have speakers >95dB the Zen 25th Anniversary amp.

HK

mick wolfe

« Reply #57 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:45 pm »
I'm literally watching the UPS delivery function where you can see where the truck is thats going to deliver your package. I had a Erhard Basie built that is being delivered today! haha I went with Lundahl OPT’s and Mundorf EVO Oil caps. I also have a quad of Sophia Electric blue EL-34s waiting for it. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Great choice. Holger makes beautiful gear. :thumb:

Stercom

« Reply #58 on: 23 Oct 2020, 05:39 pm »
Thanks, Mick. Holger has been amazing. Listening to my needs, making recommendations, updating me without me having to ask and sending pics along the way. Again, I really like supporting audio guys like that. 

twitch54

« Reply #59 on: 23 Oct 2020, 05:43 pm »
Rogue Cronus Magnum is a very good tube amp.

x2