Favorite Tube Integrated

Big Red Machine

Re: Favorite Tube Integrated
« Reply #60 on: 23 Oct 2020, 07:14 pm »
x2

When you look at the tubes and power of the unit, it looks like a good value.

bacobits1

« Reply #61 on: 23 Oct 2020, 08:55 pm »
X3
I have one I like it. Tune it with the tubes.
MAG III version out now.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2020, 11:12 pm »
Great choice. Holger makes beautiful gear. :thumb:

+1 Holger does indeed do great work!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #63 on: 25 Oct 2020, 01:36 am »
So I'm seeing that you need larger transformers to handle the likes of KT120's and KT150 tubes which I read are providing a little more top and bottom end than, say, a KT88.  Not sure how a 6550 compares to those. AAnyways, you have to be careful not to buy an older version with underpowered transformers and then try to use 120's or 150's and overtax the unit.

I'm also reading more reviews and see that Raven, Ayon, Line Magnetic (not sure still in business), Cary, and Rogue seem to be good products.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 25 Oct 2020, 01:44 am »
So I'm seeing that you need larger transformers to handle the likes of KT120's and KT150 tubes which I read are providing a little more top and bottom end than, say, a KT88.  Not sure how a 6550 compares to those. AAnyways, you have to be careful not to buy an older version with underpowered transformers and then try to use 120's or 150's and overtax the unit.

I'm also reading more reviews and see that Raven, Ayon, Line Magnetic (not sure still in business), Cary, and Rogue seem to be good products.
You always can watch this just by the power and choke transformers size, if they are small or run hot one will have probs ahead.

TomS

« Reply #65 on: 25 Oct 2020, 02:04 am »
Linear Tube Audio offers 3 versions of their integrated now - ZOTL10, 40 Reference, Ultralinear. They use the same output section and PS as the separate amps with a scaled down (very slightly) preamp section. I will be trying an Ultralinear with my microZOTL preamp very soon  8)

Freo-1

« Reply #66 on: 25 Oct 2020, 03:11 am »
Had a restored Fisher KX-200.  Great classic tube sound. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #67 on: 25 Oct 2020, 12:32 pm »
ANybody ever have a Pathos? They seem more solid state than tubed. All built in Italy and with high power. But I already have a very good SS amp. With just input tubes, how tubey would they sound?

bacobits1

« Reply #68 on: 25 Oct 2020, 02:44 pm »
I had the Classic MKII for  3 years it was light in it's shoes on the low end. It was running 130watts/ch into 4 ohms here. The Cronus MAG II will kill it in most areas especially the low end. The Mag II has lots of slam and low end. My Schiit stack sounds better too.
As always everything speaker/room treatments dependent. But you know that.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #69 on: 25 Oct 2020, 02:45 pm »
I had the Classic MKII for  3 years it was light in it's shoes on the low end. It was running 130watts/ch into 4 ohms here. The Cronus MAG II will kill it in most areas especially the low end. The Mag II has lots of slam and low end. My Schiit stack sounds better too.
As always everything speaker/room treatments dependent. But you know that.

Thanks!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #70 on: 25 Oct 2020, 02:46 pm »
Anyone have a Rogers?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #71 on: 27 Oct 2020, 09:29 pm »
Push-pull Class A triode EL84 amp we built on a Scott chassis based on Eli Dutton’s El Cheapo design. Somewhat limited power thou (3.2w)

dave

GeneS

« Reply #72 on: 28 Oct 2020, 03:55 pm »
Anyone have a Rogers?
I wish. They have astounded me at every audio show I’ve gone to. They were paired with a pair of Harbeth’s one year and I couldn’t leave the room. I’ve never heard them sound bad. Amps and phono pre’s.
I’ve heard the Ravens several times, as well. They always sound really good. I’ve only heard them through their own speakers, but it all sounded good.
Don’t overlook McIntosh, especially for the higher power tube stuff. Really magical sounding.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #73 on: 28 Oct 2020, 06:40 pm »
Rogers

I breifly heard a vinatge Rogers at a fellows home when i was installing his cable internet (25 years ago or so). Definitly good.

McIntosh

Like Audio Note very poor performance given the price.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #74 on: 29 Oct 2020, 02:50 am »
Like Audio Note very poor performance given the price.
+1
Dave it can be risky to tell the truth
This brand became untouchable after his return from the tomb in the 1990s something like stars and stripes. They never did a Single Ended amp.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #75 on: 29 Oct 2020, 03:16 am »
I'm zeroing in on Ayon, Rogers, and Raven right now based on reading reviews, etc.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #76 on: 29 Oct 2020, 10:55 am »
Ayon,built in China assembled in Austria.Not the pedigree of Rogers or Raven.

thorman

« Reply #77 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:00 am »
Hello :
 I had the Ayon Spirit 3 and though it was a nice unit, I sold it and purchased a Leben CS-600 and can honestly say the Leben was quite a bit more Musical and head and shoulders above the Ayon..The Leben is the quietest Tube unit I have ever owned and the most enjoyable too...Good luck with your choice..

Big Red Machine

« Reply #78 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:07 am »
Hello :
 I had the Ayon Spirit 3 and though it was a nice unit, I sold it and purchased a Leben CS-600 and can honestly say the Leben was quite a bit more Musical and head and shoulders above the Ayon..The Leben is the quietest Tube unit I have ever owned and the most enjoyable too...Good luck with your choice..

EL84's? They have a great reputation for musicality.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #79 on: 29 Oct 2020, 11:27 am »
Leben CS-600 6L6 or EL34 option 32w
Leben CS-300 EL84 15w