Dipole basses for Maggies

Rclark

Re: Dipole basses for Maggies
« Reply #480 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:36 am »
Hold on a second. I may not have heard your servo stuff yet, but I've heard your N's (without that tweeter they're just a normal speaker, btw, the "$49" Insignia had much nicer midrange). Now as far as the servo stuff, or the hype for any of your products, WHETHER I'VE heard them or not, there are tons and tons of people out there who have. Referencing their reviews is VALID.

Now, my beef is the fact that you hold all of your products as god's gift to audio and that there is simply no other alternative, no other subwoofer, no other speaker, no other wire choice, no other driver, nothing but GR will do and everything else out there is a stupid choice, every other designer is an idiot, etc.

If you consider my bringing that up a "personal attack" LOL, fine. I do think your tactics are a bit shady, and I'm not the only one. You take in the gullible and the new and convince them you're the only way to go.

They way I see it, I'm just calling BS. Like I said, it's okay to say other competitors and other products are good, it would actually make you look better. Nobody is saying your products are bad, and go back and reread all my posts if you disagree. I was very objective in my objections.

I don't believe that servo's are the only way to accurate bass, it's been proven. Maybe I didn't prove it, but I also don't need to fly a space shuttle to prove we've reached space either.

ANYWAY...

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #481 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:45 am »
I've heard your N's.

How is that relevant to servo subs?

Now, my beef is the fact that you hold all of your products as god's gift to audio and that there is simply no other alternative, no other subwoofer, no other speaker, no other wire choice, no other driver, nothing but GR will do and everything else out there is a stupid choice, every other designer is an idiot, etc.

Who's words are they? I don't remember Danny saying or even implying that, can you find a quote for us?

I don't believe that servo's are the only way to accurate bass, it's been proven.

Where? Can you provide this proof?

Best,

Steve.

Rclark

« Reply #482 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:48 am »
A) it's relevent because it has to do with how he talks about all his products\

B) personal conversations and reading his forum. Anyone from Linkwitz to Zaph on down is an idiot, it's pervasive. Ask him about an alternative choice to one of his speakers, he'll tell you why it's a big smelly turd.

C) Go look yourself, I'm talking about over two years of scrolling the net, I'm not about to put any energy into it. Venture outside this forum a while..

stevenkelby

« Reply #483 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:50 am »
OK thanks, you've convinced me!  :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #484 on: 6 Dec 2012, 12:17 pm »
I also don't need to fly a space shuttle to prove we've reached space either.
:rotflmao:

sfdoddsy

« Reply #485 on: 7 Dec 2012, 11:42 am »
OK thanks, you've convinced me!  :lol:

Hey Steve. Getting back somewhat on track, did you ever get that SPL meter and do the tests discussed many pages ago?

stevenkelby

« Reply #486 on: 8 Dec 2012, 01:27 am »
Hey Steve. Getting back somewhat on track, did you ever get that SPL meter and do the tests discussed many pages ago?

Not yet, I went to Jaycar but they were out of stock. I've since read that it isn't accurate at 20Hz anyway:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM1589

I have ordered a Behringer ECM8000 instead and will use that with an old M-Audio Fast track pro that I have. Have to figure out REW but will get it done when the mic arrives and report back here, promise :)

helvis

« Reply #487 on: 17 Dec 2012, 08:38 pm »
I have Tympani IVs that Steve Winey, several years ago, rebuilt for me and I love the bass response in them. At the time he had a passion for the tympani line and even talked me through, live on the phone, recovering them with custom cloth that Magnepan made for me to match my MMG Ws and MMG C.

bdp24

« Reply #488 on: 24 Feb 2013, 09:30 am »
A good reference for use for audio terms in J. Gordon Holt's Audio Glossary.  He put definitions to just about every term I have see used to describe a sound. 

This might aid in choosing terms for discussions on the sound quality folks are trying to describe and give everyone a starting point.

+1! Gordon Holt created the vocabulary used to describe the sound of musical instruments as reproduced by the component(s) under test, and is as valid now as it was 50 years ago when he started Stereophile Magazine. For the OP: You are never really going to know how well the GR/Rythmik OB Subs work for you and your Maggies until you have them in your room. Why not just try out a pair? I consider them reasonably priced enough to take a chance on. There are quite a few Maggie and ESL owners who are pretty enthusiastic about the sealed and/or OB versions. I am building a pair of 2-12" GR/Rythmik in W-Frames per side right now for my Quad Electrostatics (to be x-over at 80-100hz), and also a pair of Rythmik 15's in sealed 4 cuft boxes for the back of the room. The best of both worlds? We shall see! To let you know where I'm coming from.....I got my first real good system in '73, consisting of the original Magneplanar I-U's (the 3-18" panel-per-side ones) driven by Audio Research tubes. Though I loved their reproduction of human voice (THE most important ability for me), huge soundstage and imaging/depth, they were too dry (lacking the liquid transparency I knew ESL's routinely delivered), were missing the bottom octave, and were lacking in dynamics (having very low sensitivity/efficiency). The current Maggies are a much better speaker than my I-U's were. I went through a bunch of speakers through the years (Infinity RS-1b's with.....servo-subs!, transmission line cabs with Kef B139's and 5" midrange cone and RTR ESL tweeters, Maggie ID's with outboard x-over of upgraded parts---done by Brooks Berdan, Fulton (remember them, anybody? Sort of like small Wilson WAMM's). I'm now on my retirement Quads, and am pretty sure Danny and Brian's subs are going to make it possible for me to listen to Bach Organ Works without wanting better speakers. I hope you find subs that make you happy with your music system.

AlliumPorrum

« Reply #489 on: 24 Feb 2013, 09:40 am »
Oh I will give them a try, that's for sure now. I think I'm going for 3 per side on a L- baffle, crossed over somewhere between 100 to 200hz.

bdp24

« Reply #490 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:52 am »
Three per side maximizes the amp's output and offers the most SPL, and may be what I eventually do as well. I got a pair of W-frame flat packs real cheap, so I'm doing two per side first. If I like that enough I'll get another pair of the 12's and build a pair of 3-driver H-frames myself.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #491 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:14 am »
Long thread. Forgive me if i skip it all.
ust to meention:
I use a pair of 5" wide oak panels on the woofer side of my Magnepan 3.6 speakers.
I have them tweet side 'in' and the speaker a bit closer than usual to the side walls. Adding the panel tothe woofer side enhanced my bass lower midrange rather well.
Enough to make me happy.
Just mentioning it.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #492 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:29 am »
Three per side maximizes the amp's output and offers the most SPL, and may be what I eventually do as well. I got a pair of W-frame flat packs real cheap, so I'm doing two per side first. If I like that enough I'll get another pair of the 12's and build a pair of 3-driver H-frames myself.
Sir, you are in for a treat!  Enjoy.  :thumb:

Dave