Auralic Vega DAC

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Auralic Vega DAC
« Reply #80 on: 13 Dec 2013, 04:23 pm »
Thanks for the info!  I was wondering what kind of computers/software everyone was using.  Cabling too!

I am using a variation of the Computer Audiophile music server (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/497-computer-audiophile-pocket-server-c-p-s-v3-zuma/) running the latest version of JRiver.

I am using a Pang Paul Red USB cable (http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2013/07/usb-cable.html).

I went with Pang's cable based on Ted's recommendation.  I have not done any USB cable comparisons and don't really plan on doing any.

George

doctorcilantro

« Reply #81 on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:49 am »
I'm using some PPA cables too. Blue for DAC and Gray for ADC (for making DSD needledrops on PS Audio Nuwave ADC).

I don't seem to be lacking anything since switching out my Oyaide .5m Continental so I might sell it.

Anyone toyed with other filters for PCM? I see Filter 1 is the most linear, but I leave it on 4.

http://www.auralic.com/download/flexible_filter_mode.pdf

doctorcilantro

« Reply #82 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:00 am »
I re-visited some of the Filter Modes last weekend. I had been upsampling everything to 352kHz and looking at the notes in the Auralic Filter Guide, one would avoid any of the issues that plague lower sample rates, namely treble roll-off. I have settled on Filter 4 for now with PCM from JRMC19 upsampled to 352kHz.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:10 am »
I re-visited some of the Filter Modes last weekend. I had been upsampling everything to 352kHz and looking at the notes in the Auralic Filter Guide, one would avoid any of the issues that plague lower sample rates, namely treble roll-off. I have settled on Filter 4 for now with PCM from JRMC19 upsampled to 352kHz.
If you use JRiver you should try upsampling everything to DSD128. 

doctorcilantro

« Reply #84 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:17 am »
I have another zone for that. But mostly keeping PCM and DSD native. You liking everything at 128?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #85 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:27 am »
I have another zone for that. But mostly keeping PCM and DSD native. You liking everything at 128?
yes

doctorcilantro

« Reply #86 on: 1 May 2014, 08:06 am »
Please test on Windows7:

Are you able to change the volume Level manually in Windows Sound Control Panel while playback is engaged by an application using Auralic ASIO or WASAPI?

worldcat

« Reply #87 on: 13 May 2014, 04:53 pm »
Does anyone use a transport with their Vega?  If so what kind?

srb

« Reply #88 on: 13 May 2014, 05:17 pm »
Please test on Windows7:
Are you able to change the volume Level manually in Windows Sound Control Panel while playback is engaged by an application using Auralic ASIO or WASAPI?

Any ASIO or WASAPI driver should be bypassing the Windows KMixer, and therefore the Windows volume control.  Is your Windows volume control not being disabled?

Steve

failynn

« Reply #89 on: 22 Jun 2014, 02:13 am »
How does the auralic compare to the oppo 10, or idsd dacs?

Thanks,
Joe

Mike-48

« Reply #90 on: 4 Jul 2014, 10:41 pm »
Does anyone use a transport with their Vega?  If so what kind?
I am using a Meridian G98, and it sounds great.

werd

« Reply #91 on: 5 Jul 2014, 02:30 am »
     That would be interesting to see. It appears pride of ownership is playing a key role here. Has anyone owned a component that sounded good in every system tried ?
     For me it is refreshing to read the experiences of components tried in different systems just do not get the mine is better than yours deal.  :roll:

charles

I've always been intrigued by gear that sounds bad at first. Just so long as it isn't clipping into thermal or something. I enjoy working with it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #92 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:22 am »
How does the auralic compare to the oppo 10, or idsd dacs?

Thanks,
Joe

You mean the Oppo 105 and the ifi idsd nano?  Having heard the former and owning the latter(and the Vega) there's no comparison : the Vega blows them away. Pretty big price difference, so it should.....

doctorcilantro

« Reply #93 on: 25 Sep 2014, 04:29 am »
Anyone know any applications that can do PCM2DSD besides JRMC19-20?

steve in jersey

« Reply #94 on: 25 Sep 2014, 04:56 am »
You do realize that you can import music files into JRMC & convert them to the format you want & then place were you want.

I use A Digital File Player that I use to play all my music which consists of hundreds of recordings that I've converted  iin JRMC  (I've never used my Laptop as a player as it's not optimized for Audio Playback & does 'nt have an Audio Grade Soundcard in it) & then placed on USB drives.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #95 on: 25 Sep 2014, 05:01 am »
Thanks, yes, I should try that to see what the result is with EXACT mode enabled. I assume playback would not have the white noise which occurs when doing PCM2DSD on the fly.

I have 400K files and 20K High-Rez PCM/DSD; I'd rather leave the files as is, rather than pick and choose, and play to a PCM2DSD zone in JRMc when I want to. Mainly I use a native rez zone.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #96 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:43 am »

I have 400K files and 20K High-Rez PCM/DSD

:o :o :o

:thumb:

loving_it

« Reply #97 on: 28 Nov 2014, 04:38 pm »
I this topic is old but I am looking for some input , Has anyone here compared the Vega to W4S DSD SE ?  W4S has the DSD SE on sale till Sunday for about 2000.00 which is awesome price .

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #98 on: 28 Nov 2014, 04:59 pm »
Vega IMO. Never heard the Wyred, but to me, it just looks like an upgrade of the original, which is merely an OK DAC.

loving_it

« Reply #99 on: 28 Nov 2014, 05:02 pm »
Serious question , I am asking for input from people that have compared both . " Unbiased " Opinion