Auralic Vega DAC

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Auralic Vega DAC
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2013, 06:41 pm »
The Femto clock need at least 3 hrs of warmup time.

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2013, 10:21 pm »
Has anyone compared XLR out vs. SE on the Vega?

I'm considering a passive SE preamp with 48 stepped attenuator, and from what I have read, some argue that DACs need transformers to output truly balanced amplitude. I'd love to differential output of the Vega, and get better SNR, but wondering what the real result will be? Any major difference between XLR and SE if you've tried?

The balanced has a dedicated analog stage that is different than the single ended. The Zout on the single ended output is supposed to be 50 Ohms while the balanced version is specified at 4.7 Ohms. I have not listened to the SE outputs but given the different output sections and their specs, it's quite probable they will sound different. They do measure a bit differently, the balanced having a cleaner FFT plot.

I apologize for the images, the board software makes them a bit too small to really read. I'll upload to another host and link later when time allows.

mike

doctorcilantro

« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2013, 10:57 am »
Thanks Mike. Mr. Wang did advise that the Balanced output was designed for better performance. I thought he was just referring to the standard differential output vs. SE benefits.

Does the SE utilize the ORFEO output tech ?

I have been interested in an autoformer solution, but most folks have sort of decried this saying my amp is SE. But if the Vega BAL output is notably different, maybe an autoformer would be the way to go to convert BAL to SE.

Anyway, I have more notes on the Vega but so far:

Auralic Vega would get dropouts on Exact clock setting (need low jitter source) until I switched to WASAPI. DoP works great up to 2x and PCM ok.

Is this simply an ASIO + Windows 7 x64 issue, or could there be something in JRMC19? In both cases, readily apparent artifacts were observed until switching to the default WASAPI [Event] mode.

I tweaked ASIO setting a bit and nothing helped until WASAPI. I have left the DAC on for about 40 hours at this point and no issues set to Safe USB mode with standard JRMC settings.

This thing sounds incredible direct to my 2.5v input EL34 amp at 60-77 (LOUD).

TrungT

« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:09 am »
Tortuga LDR passive pre is awesome match with the Vega. (Balanced)  :thumb:

doctorcilantro

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:16 am »
I should have bought your vega trung!

But you can buy my zodiac gold ;)

I'd love an lsa but they ain't cheap.

TrungT

« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:19 am »
I still have the Zodiac Gold.  ;)
If someone does not care about DSD, the Zodiac Gold still one of the best DAC/Pre out there.  :thumb:

doctorcilantro

« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:25 am »
Yes indeed but the Vega is wowing me even in PCM.

TORTUGA has a balanced model?

TrungT

« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:43 am »

doctorcilantro

« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2013, 11:49 am »
I read that if going Balanced to SE you are still going to use transformers with a Tortuga build.

It seems if your final chain is SE, just run SE. Otherwise, I think it starts to get complicated adding transformers.

Your build doesn't seem to have transformers. Is that SE output?

doctorcilantro

« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:05 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:31 pm »
Yes indeed but the Vega is wowing me even in PCM.

You do know that it even up-samples ALL PCM.  Right?

With Sanctuary Audio Processor as heart, AURALiC introduces several cutting-edge technology for VEGA:Megahertz upsampling algorithm up-samples all PCM music to 1.5MHz in 32bit; Femto Master Clock provides an ultimate clock precision with jitter only 82 femtoseconds(0.082 picosecond). Binding with other AURALiC's patented technologies such as 'ORFEO Class-A module' and discrete 'Purer-Power™ solution', VEGA will bring high resolution music playback experience to climax

doctorcilantro

« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:34 pm »
In hardware, yes I think I remember reading that. Not sure what the numbers are but thanks for reminding me.

I guess upsampling in software would be overkill, possibly detrimental?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:35 pm »
In hardware, yes I think I remember reading that. Not sure what the numbers are but thanks for reminding me.

I guess upsampling in software would be overkill, possibly detrimental?
I listened to on the fly PCM > DSD via JRiver and it's awesome!

doctorcilantro

« Reply #33 on: 21 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm »
Yes, I plan on checking this out tonight I think.

I'm curious about trying DSD over ASIO as manual states vs DoP, although so far WASAPI has proven more robust.

http://www.auralic.com/download/dsd_playback_setup.pdf

Or maybe I was thinking about JPLAY ASIO, but either way you should be able to do the same thing with the Vega ASIO driver no?

Wang states:

"PS: Burn in for 100-200 hours and it will sound even better
PSS: WASAPI is fine but it only support up to 24bit."

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #34 on: 21 Oct 2013, 01:05 pm »
I listened to on the fly PCM > DSD via JRiver and it's awesome!

I am so looking forward to trying this...now I just need the DAC to get here.

George

doctorcilantro

« Reply #35 on: 21 Oct 2013, 01:08 pm »
The balanced has a dedicated analog stage that is different than the single ended. The Zout on the single ended output is supposed to be 50 Ohms while the balanced version is specified at 4.7 Ohms. I have not listened to the SE outputs but given the different output sections and their specs, it's quite probable they will sound different. They do measure a bit differently, the balanced having a cleaner FFT plot.

I apologize for the images, the board software makes them a bit too small to really read. I'll upload to another host and link later when time allows.

mike

Thanks Mike!
" The XLR has lower output impedance as we assume some of our customers will using it to drive the vintage 600ohm input impedance devices. The SE output are sum from differential signal so basically they are the same."

audio.bill

« Reply #36 on: 21 Oct 2013, 02:41 pm »
I have read in several places on the JRiver site that their DoP output only supports single DSD (DSD64).  :cry:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 21 Oct 2013, 02:50 pm »

mike
Thanks Mike!

I'd love to see these of the Lampizator.   :rotflmao: I think what someone told me is that the Vega is the Antizator.  A true engineered product with science.   :idea:

doctorcilantro

« Reply #38 on: 21 Oct 2013, 03:22 pm »
I have read in several places on the JRiver site that their DoP output only supports single DSD (DSD64).  :cry:

I think it works fine with DoP. Maybe I'm wrong!

*DSDx2 doesn't work for me actually with the Vega ASIO USB driver!

doctorcilantro

« Reply #39 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:00 pm »
DSDx2 for PCM2DSD doesn't work for me with the Vega ASIO USB driver; does it for you?

PCM2DSD with DSD64 works ok. I didn't know JRMC had this limitation.

No problem playing native DSD at DSD128.