Auralic Vega DAC

mgalusha

Re: Auralic Vega DAC
« Reply #40 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:48 pm »
DSDx2 for PCM2DSD doesn't work for me with the Vega ASIO USB driver; does it for you?

PCM2DSD with DSD64 works ok. I didn't know JRMC had this limitation.

No problem playing native DSD at DSD128.

The VEGA needs DoP and does support DSD128 via DoP, it doesn't accept raw DSD, so the on the fly conversion to DSD128 doesn't work. However, if you use the foo ASIO proxy as outlined on Archimago's page on doing this with the Teac US-501 it works perfectly, at least in my system. The VEGA reports DSD128 if using this method and I find the results quite nice. I have demoed this for a few folks are most all are surprised at the difference.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #41 on: 21 Oct 2013, 04:53 pm »
Thanks Mike. I guess JPLAY ASIO works as well. I still don't understand why the Vega ASIO doesn't work in JRMC.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #42 on: 21 Oct 2013, 05:06 pm »
Yup, JPLAY re-installed and when set to kernel streaming it works for PCM2DSD just fine.

Thanks Mike!

audio.bill

« Reply #43 on: 21 Oct 2013, 05:48 pm »
I realize that JRMC supports DSD128 in bitstream format, but as stated by Matt (administrator) in the JRMC forum when outputting DoP format it only supports DSD64. Here's the link I am referring to: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81606.0

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 21 Oct 2013, 05:59 pm »
I realize that JRMC supports DSD128 in bitstream format, but as stated by Matt (administrator) in the JRMC forum when outputting DoP format it only supports DSD64. Here's the link I am referring to: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81606.0
Try MC19 here

doctorcilantro

« Reply #45 on: 21 Oct 2013, 06:33 pm »
Been playing DSD128 over DoP in JRMC since the Vega land so indeed check out mc19.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:07 pm »
The VEGA needs DoP and does support DSD128 via DoP, it doesn't accept raw DSD, so the on the fly conversion to DSD128 doesn't work. However, if you use the foo ASIO proxy as outlined on Archimago's page on doing this with the Teac US-501 it works perfectly, at least in my system. The VEGA reports DSD128 if using this method and I find the results quite nice. I have demoed this for a few folks are most all are surprised at the difference.

I'm using JPLAY with DSD Bitstreaming (vs. DoP) to do the 2XDSD upsampling in J. River.

When I switch to a DSD128 file after playing anything else, I get crazy static. Playing same DSD128 file from full stop is fine.

I swear I have seen JRMC report it was downsampling at times from 88kHz>44kHz> then 2XDSD. Nothing is not right.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #47 on: 24 Oct 2013, 03:14 am »
I've restarted Vega and PC and now upsampling all PCM to 384kHz seems to allow smoother transitions to DSD64 and DSD128. Exact clock and ASIO buffer 2048. Using JPLAY ASIO. No dropouts all morning or loss of sync (white noise).

doctorcilantro

« Reply #48 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:22 am »

Why does the VEGA NEED DoP DSD Bitstreaming? When using JPLAY ASIO > KS I can use DSD Bitstreaming and see 768kHz for DSDx2, then Vega shows DSD128.

Auralic informed me:

We only support DoP protocol no matter if you use WASAPI or ASIO, the only confusion is JRIVER as they do not support DoP though ASIO.

To clarify, PCM2DSD at DSDx2 does not work for me with Auralic USB ASIO driver, but it does work with the Foobar or Jplay ASIO. I'm new to DSD so trying to keep up.

If testing with JPLAY, it ends up routing to Kernel Streaming and not using the VEGA ASIO? Thanks for any guidance!  :D

http://www.auralic.com/download/dsd_playback_setup.pdf

I can do DSD64/128 with Dop In JRMC19 recent build, but not PCM2DSD.

MC19 isn't supporting a 2xDSD upsampling with DoP option.
This true?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:24 am »
Does anyone know if the AURALiC supports Integer mode? 

worldcat

« Reply #50 on: 4 Dec 2013, 12:48 am »
Has anyone used a transport with this dac?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 4 Dec 2013, 01:54 am »
Does anyone know if the AURALiC supports Integer mode?
It does.  Very we'll too.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 4 Dec 2013, 02:38 am »
Why do that?  Computer / software is much better.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #53 on: 4 Dec 2013, 02:41 am »

Nope, using a pc.

I gave up spinning discs more than 5 years ago and have never looked back.

George

WireNut

« Reply #54 on: 4 Dec 2013, 02:50 am »
Nope, using a pc.

I gave up spinning discs more than 5 years ago and have never looked back.

George

I tried PC audio several years ago but scraped the whole thing due to MP3 files being all over the audio spectrum.....
In random mode I'd get files that were super loud and files that were quite, some sounded good most sounded like crap.
I even built a PC just to do it........

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 4 Dec 2013, 02:57 am »
I tried PC audio several years ago but scraped the whole thing due to MP3 files being all over the audio spectrum.....
In random mode I'd get files that were super loud and files that were quite, some sounded good most sounded like crap.
I even built a PC just to do it........
Then you had something that wasn't properly setup.  Why would you use MP3 though?  That's the first thing wrong...

WireNut

« Reply #56 on: 4 Dec 2013, 03:08 am »

Then you had something that wasn't properly setup.  Why would you use MP3 though?  That's the first thing wrong...

It was in the early day's of MP3's. These days I'd only try Flac or wav of my own personal CD's. I'm still hesitant in trying PC audio again. My hardware based system is sounding so good lately..... I want to convert, but after building a PC and trying MP3's years ago I've lost my faith in PC audio for my big rig. Maybe I'll try it again after I learn more and experiment on my home PC.......

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #57 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:09 am »

It was in the early day's of MP3's. These days I'd only try Flac or wav of my own personal CD's. I'm still hesitant in trying PC audio again. My hardware based system is sounding so good lately..... I want to convert, but after building a PC and trying MP3's years ago I've lost my faith in PC audio for my big rig. Maybe I'll try it again after I learn more and experiment on my home PC.......

This is the equivalent to saying I tried a Yugo, so all cars must not be good.   :scratch: :scratch:

What are you using for a transport?

I am damn confident that a properly implemented computer source will equal or surpass it at a fraction of the cost.

George

santacore

« Reply #58 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:25 am »
The USB implementation in the Vega is fantastic, so computer audio is great. I've tried the Vega with an external USB>SPDIF converter and the internal Vega USB was way better. That said, I'm sure it would be great high quality external source.

WireNut

« Reply #59 on: 4 Dec 2013, 04:53 am »
This is the equivalent to saying I tried a Yugo, so all cars must not be good.   :scratch: :scratch:

I am damn confident that a properly implemented computer source will equal or surpass it at a fraction of the cost.

George

I just need to learn more about PC audio software and hardware before trying again.... A lot has changed......