Latest music you've picked up...

Gordy

« Reply #240 on: 26 Sep 2005, 03:50 am »
Any DCD fans?

I found a new tribute cd the other day, Summoning of the Muse... http://www.projekt.com/projekt/product.asp?sku=PRO00173

DeanSheen

« Reply #241 on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: Gordy
Any DCD fans?

I found a new tribute cd the other day, Summoning of the Muse... http://www.projekt.com/projekt/product.asp?sku=PRO00173

Yeah, back when Serpents Egg came out I listend to it about 100 times.  I pretty much quit listening to them after that.

Spleen and Ideal was my favorite.

Soundbitten

« Reply #242 on: 4 Oct 2005, 12:31 am »
Children Of Nuggets box set on Rhino

DeadFish

« Reply #243 on: 4 Oct 2005, 05:42 pm »
Buddy Guy "Bring 'em In"
Electric Buddy at his best, with a few guest appearances like Tracy Chapman, Keith Richards, and Carlos Santana.
Excellent mix (IMHO) sounds great.  After 4 listens, I'm addicted.
(Love 'Aint No Sunshine' with Chapman!)
Enjoy!
DeadFish

scottielee

« Reply #244 on: 6 Oct 2005, 01:38 am »
- Janos Starker, Bach Suites for Solo Cello, Mercury SACD

- Evgeny Kissin, Live 1986 performance of Chopin Mazurkas, Nocturne No. 14, Scherzo No. 2..., Intersound CD

both absolutely heavenly...

CIAudio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #245 on: 6 Oct 2005, 02:03 am »
Picked up the Cream-Royal Albert Hall reunion CD because I heard the sound was great at the show...unfortunately, the CD set sounds like it was recorded by some guy in the bathroom with a portable...don't waste your $25

-Dusty-

GBB

« Reply #246 on: 6 Oct 2005, 02:23 am »
Emiliana Torrini - Fisherman's Woman
Madelaine Peyroux - Careless Love

Both come highly recommended.  Torrini is Finnish-Italian and sings in English.  This album is mostly acoustic and showcases her lovely voice.  Peyroux sounds like an old time jazz singer - think Billy Holiday crossed with Dinah Washington.

---Gary

R_burke

« Reply #247 on: 6 Oct 2005, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
Picked up the Cream-Royal Albert Hall reunion CD because I heard the sound was great at the show...unfortunately, the CD set sounds like it was recorded by some guy in the bathroom with a portable...don't waste your $25

-Dusty-

I wondered why I couldn't find samples anywhere, guess this one comes off my list.  Thanks for the heads up, I had high hopes, maybe I'll check out the DVD.

ScottMayo

« Reply #248 on: 6 Oct 2005, 03:14 pm »
Ordered, not yet heard: Fripp & Eno "Equatorial Stars" and "No Pussyfooting". Bought them based on the fact that my son is the only person I know who likes to sit through "An Index of Metals" (Fripp & Eno, Evening Star), so I thought he might like more.

Anyone got other recommendations on dark ambient? I've already exposed him to Pink Floyd's _Echoes_...

L'wood

« Reply #249 on: 14 Oct 2005, 10:02 pm »
Baden Powell - What an absolutely wonderful guitar player from South America (Brazil I believe).  He has a very unique style.  I'm not a player, but he does things I've never heard before!!

ScottMayo

« Reply #250 on: 14 Oct 2005, 10:57 pm »
Quote from: ScottMayo
Ordered, not yet heard: Fripp & Eno "Equatorial Stars" and "No Pussyfooting".

Heard this now. Extremely odd, even odder than _Evening Star_. Equtorial is vaguely like something you'd expect to hear in _Myst_, except, well, much less mainstream. The sort of thing you might play in a dark room with a candle, and at the end you'd look out the window to make sure it was still planet Earth out there.

DeanSheen

« Reply #251 on: 14 Oct 2005, 11:08 pm »
TAKAHASHI, IKURO - Domori to Sanshu   (Siwa)

The Invisible Pyramid / Elegy Box  (Last Visible Dog)

Uton - Pseudohumanoid  (Pseudo Arcana)

The Skaters -Gambling in Ohpa's Shadow (Pseudo Arcana)

The Wooden Cupboard - Boiling the Animal in the Sky (Pseudo Arcana)

WOODEN WAND & THE VANISHING VOICE – XIAO (Troubleman Unlimited)

KEMIALLISET YSTÄVÄT  - Alkuhärkä (Fonal)

D Yellow Swans – Live During War Crimes  (Release the Bats)

Sunroof! - Silver Bear Mist (VHF)

Pelt – Ayahuasca  (VHF)

Yellow Swans & Cherry Point - Live at Camp Blood (Troniks)

Double Leopards     Savage Summer Sun   (Hospital Productions)

Yellow Swans & Grey Daturas – 2X cd comp (Jyrk)

D Yellow Swans and Jim Altieri - Drowning Yellow Swans (Carbon)

bunky

« Reply #252 on: 15 Oct 2005, 12:38 am »
i just bought Neil Youngs Prarie Wind album on cd and the recording on this album is very good. this album is worth checking out.

DeanSheen

« Reply #253 on: 15 Oct 2005, 01:39 am »
Anyone got other recommendations on dark ambient? I've already exposed him to Pink Floyd's _Echoes_...

Heh, yeah, DARK AMBIENT

The Disc that the term DARK AMBIENT is credited to is:

Lustmord : HERESEY

Matter of fact, old B.Lustmord came down the same path as Eno, he is a soundguy for film first, artist second.  He has a bunch of releases but that one is the best and has recently been reissued.

samples: http://www.sleepbot.com/ambience/page/lustmord.html

another recent dark ambient disc that is superb

Troum & Yen Pox : Mnemonic Induction

Try those out and lemme know what you think.  Heresey was actually recorded in 'caves, crypts and catacombs'.  The spaces and their echos are a large part of the recording.  

The Troum & Yen Pox has tons of low end.  Great Halloween music both of them & damn near perfect examples of the genre.

http://www.strangefortune.com/cd.php?id=1761

This ones pretty good too:  Robert Rich and B. Lustmord: Stalker

DeanSheen

I'm taking over this thread............
« Reply #254 on: 20 Oct 2005, 10:56 pm »
Fursuxa - Lepidoptera (ATP Recordings)

Grey Daturas - Dead in the Woods (Crashing Jets)

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase (Warp)

mcrespo71

« Reply #255 on: 21 Oct 2005, 02:38 am »
Paul Westerberg- Besterberg

mjosef

Latest 8, Telepopmusik...
« Reply #256 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:15 pm »
Latest 8 CDs I got this week.
1. Telepopmusik, 'angel milk', a real surprise, a dreamy musical trip kinda reminds me of Bjork. I am puzzled by the gap of silence at the end followed by softly spoken words then silence again.
2.Wayne SHorter 'Beyond the sound barrier', I have heard him live the last three years at the JVC jazz festival, so no real surprise here, a top notch band.
3. Drew Gress '7 black butterflies', another surpise having never heard of him/her(?), there is no pictures of the players or even any liner notes. But very good sounding acoustic bass throughout. I need to find out more about this band.
These I haven't yet gotten to:
4. Paul Motian with Bill Frisell and Joe Lovano 'I have the room above her'
5. Down to the Bone 'Spread love like wildfire', I have a couple of their earlier cds.
6. Charles Lloyd 'Jumping the Creek', This should be good, Geri Allen is listed on piano.
7. LSO 'Shostakovich SYmphony No5, a live date with the LSO, a SACD hybrid.
8. Dove 'Some cities', not sure if this is rock, could be.

Glen B

« Reply #257 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:46 pm »
Spiritual Chillout by Various Artists is a unique compilation CD featuring Gregorian chants combined with uptempo beats.  A couple of my favorite tracks are Recordare by the group Magna Canta and Humilitas by the group Lesiem.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6738202&style=music&cart=280747974&BAB=M  

"5" by the group B-tribe which I recently discovered, features flamenco guitar blended into electronica/pop/new age.  

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6288708&style=music&cart=280747974

Folsom

« Reply #258 on: 2 Nov 2005, 06:48 pm »
I just picked up the Vinyl of "The Jazz Singer" by Neil Diamond. Let me just say..... There is a reason he is the greatest entertainer of all time. The people doing the instermentals are very professional, and obviously are show casing his voice and lyrics. Not that I have any complaint about the almost robot like, but pleasent instermentals, they sound how they should. I have to say having Neil Diamond on Vinyl makes all the difference, his voice really is great, and I have never heard it like this on CD. I think a CD is a waste of time for Neil Diamonds powerful voice, this is definatly an event where digital does not have the range to really display what makes his voice special. I like all the songs on the album, I got no idea what the "Robert E. Lee" song is about though. I really enjoy "Hello Again", such a great song.

Folsom

« Reply #259 on: 3 Nov 2005, 03:02 am »
I actaully picked up a couple Vinyl albums lately so... (yeah you all probaby have or have had)

Run DMC - Crown Royal. I have always liked Run DMC, and yeah they are still Kings (who is left). It has a lot of guests in it. I still enjoy it though, they obviously have some mixing talent. They seem to mix or simply have instermentals. While I have no idea how it was recorded in the studio, the vocals are definatly a lot better then a CD would be for me.... I will still say I should of just got some of their original stuff, I am not to terribly impressed with this album. I enjoy it, but it most certainly does not hold a candle to their original work. I might just get rid of it.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country. I love CCR, and on vinyl they are magical. The guys definatly have a little more insterment talent then given credit for, and the lead singers voice is much more emotional then I experience on original non-remastered CD's. When they recorded this stuff back in the day, it was obviously ment for vinyl and never for CD (not that they knew what one was even). I plan to pickup more CCR Vinyl. While I saw Creedence Clearwater Revisited in Sturgis this year, the original band is still amazing, and the vinyl gives a new prespective on it. I thought nothing would touch the only two origianl member band, in concert, after listining to the CD's. I was certainly wrong. Any one who can say all their stuff sounds the same, well that is the unfortunate non-remastered interpritation you will probably get.

Eric Clapton - Just One Night. I like this one, I am just a plain old Eric Clapton fan, and yes it has the song Cocaine haha..... I guess this one was live, in Tokyo in 1979. Even if they all spoke Japanese, they sang with Cocaine. I still like his unplugged stuff way to much, which sucks cause there is no Vinyl of it...

Jethro Tull - Aqualung. Love this album (Thanks Dave), flute and tons of other insterments. They remind me of Black Sabbath when they go into some guitar riffs. The religious portions are good, not that I am comenting on my relgious believes, they most certainly is a bit of inteligence behind them. The vocals are rather thin though, I wish they where a bit louder.

Joe Cocker - Greatest Hits. Wow, the emotion this man puts into his music.... Yeah I know he does a fair amount of covers, I honestly could not care any less that he does, or about the originals. If he thought it need to be redone, it came out better. I wish I had a Vinly copy of his new album of stuff that inspired him. It is very professionally done, however it lacks serious quality in the recordings of vocals. This Vinyl piece, does not. There is no way to down talk "You are so Beautiful" and "With a Little Help From My friends" etc...... When you judge musical vocals, if emotion is more important then talent as many people believe, this guy is what you want. I plan to buy more albums of his, but what can I say, his greatest hits are damn good. I however need to find some Vinyl that includes Sandpaper Cadilac, I like that song a lot.

The Police - Ghost In The Machine. (Thanks Dave) This album reminds me of Pink Floyd a little bit, but with more blatant lyrics. The instermentals are definatly not that of Pink Floyd, they are not telling a story, they are fit to the music, chorus, etc, while they are mind blowing (pretty fair guitar, simpler on drums), they fit the lyrics, and just make the song. I do enjoy the lyrics, they are good, the vocals while I can not say any thing bad about them, I will say that many remind me of what they are, pre - 80's high pitched rock voices, but calmer.