Latest music you've picked up...

2bigears

« Reply #300 on: 5 Feb 2006, 12:03 am »
here's a good one-- Lou Reed   Animal Serenade,nice sound on the mastering,very cool. :D  :D  :D  :D

mcrespo71

« Reply #301 on: 11 Feb 2006, 04:27 am »
Just picked up some new LP's:
The Strokes- First Impressions on Earth
Spoon- Gimme Fiction
Arcade Fire- Funeral

New CD's-
Duran Duran Rio Remaster
Miles Davis- Milestones
Hot Hot Heat- Elevator
Libertines- Up the bracket.
Pearl Jam- Rearview mirror
Cranberries- Greatest Hits.

LFE

« Reply #302 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:33 am »
Today:

Sonic Youth - Dirty (LP re-issue)
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West (CD)
Cat Power - The Greatest (CD)
Dinosaur Jr - You're Living all Over Me (LP re-issue)
Bill Bragg and Wilco - Mermaid Avenue (bought the CD just for the song: California Stars... amazing song)
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Self Titled (LP just released)

mjosef

« Reply #303 on: 17 Feb 2006, 02:51 am »
Just received my monthly disc from yourmusic cd club: Osvaldo Golijov, 'Ayre' with Dawn Upshaw, soprano. I love this lady's voice.

Some of the bargain cd from aforementioned batch:
Double Trouble, 'been a long time'
Bach 2000, an assortment of Bach music performed by a variety of European conductors.
Mat Marucci, 'ulterior motif'. the jazz drummer mixes it up on some classic music of Monk, Strayhorn, Mingus, Bley, Eddie Harris, and even Sheryl Crow's all I wanna do...
Leann Rimes, 'Unchained Melody', country ain't my thing but for $1.50 it got a couple tunes I like.
Space Monkeys, the daddy of them all. My first listen of this group( not counting the one when they met Gorillaz), mhnnnn....

Soundbitten

« Reply #304 on: 17 Feb 2006, 01:53 pm »
picked up these new cds from the bargain bin for 25 cents each . Some cases were broken .

Date with The Smithereens - very good garage pop
Best Of Jackie Wilson Vol 1 - excellent r & b
Dean Martin Christmas - can't go wrong here
Perez Prado 24 Original Greats - good if you like Mambo
Planet P Project - dated 80's music ... yuck
Pavement - Crooked Rain ... not bad , need to hear it some more

from the used bin :

Skull Ring - Iggy Pop ... very good .. the old guy can still cut the mustard

G.Michael

« Reply #305 on: 17 Feb 2006, 02:22 pm »
Jazz Vocalists:

Freddy Cole: Rio de Janeiro Blue

Gwyneth Herbert:  Bittersweet and Blue

Both CD's are, IMHO, outstanding.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Todd Rindgren "Liars"
« Reply #306 on: 20 Feb 2006, 08:51 pm »
I got this cd a while back and it took about 6 listens to really start getting it. It is a parody on all the bullshit going on in the church, the goverments and the media. It is true Todd. There are bits that sound like old Todd and very new Todd. It is not for everyone, but that is Todd. His lyrics are great and the production is also great.
Then I got the DVD of the live show called "Liars". It kicks ass, A great band including Utopia fame Kasim Sultan on bass and the fabulous Prarrie Prince of The Tubes on drums. It is so good, that Todd deserves a star on the "Walk of Fame" and certanly in the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame for all the great stuff Todd has done in the music world. This DVD, I could see to be taken by some in this crazy world just like the cartoon that people are rioting over. They all wear different costumes representing institutions I have mentioned above. His voice is in top form and the list of song are a supereb chioce.
All instuments were direct into a computer and then to a PA and to DVD. The sound is very different for a live recording. Almost not live. If you are a Todd fan, buy it! This is just my opinion :|

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #307 on: 20 Feb 2006, 08:59 pm »
David Bowie "David Live" DVD-Audio
David Bowie "Stage" DVD-Audio
The sound is great for both. Remastered by Toni Visconti

JoshK

« Reply #308 on: 26 Feb 2006, 08:22 pm »
From AllofMP3.com:

Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great  (highly rec'd d/l!! a kick ass song)
Josh Groban & Tanja Tzarovska - Remember Me from Troy OST
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
Firehouse - When I Look Into Your Eyes
Damn Yankees - High Enough
Mudvayne - Happy

How is that for some variety?

ajzepp

« Reply #309 on: 26 Feb 2006, 08:29 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
From AllofMP3.com:

Iron Maiden - Alexander the Great  (highly rec'd d/l!! a kick ass song)
Josh Groban & Tanja Tzarovska - Remember Me from Troy OST
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
Firehouse - When I Look Into Your Eyes
Damn Yankees - High Enough
Mudvayne - Happy

How is that for some variety?

Wow, Damn Yankees.....there's some nostalgia for me. I thought the title track was an awesome song, man. Gotta love Nugent :)

Soundbitten

« Reply #310 on: 26 Feb 2006, 08:32 pm »
Lowe Profile : Tribute To Nick Lowe

mjosef

J&R used Cs
« Reply #311 on: 6 Mar 2006, 05:50 am »
Took a stroll around J&R complex today, checked out the Plamsa TVs, and the stereo section...and ended up in the music dept. and came upon a few cds in the used bins...even though the price was kinda steep @$8.each I had to have
Buddy Miles Express, hell and back. Produced by Bill Laswell, so I am hoping it rocks.
Karsh Kale, Redesign. One of my fav. trance/trip/house artist.
Steve Roach and Elmar Schulte,
Solitaire: Ritual ground.  My fav. ambiance electronica whatever artist.
The other three CDs were 'why not' @ $3ea...
Claude Chalhoub. a violinist from Lebanon... fusion of Arabian, Indian, classical and jazz music. A pleasant surprise.
Teo Macero presents Impressions of Charles Mingus, Vol.5...
The last disc is actually a dvd music disc with surround sound of Handel Messiah by the LSO.
[/i]

aggielaw

« Reply #312 on: 7 Mar 2006, 04:32 am »
Picked up volume 2 of the "Elizabethtown" soundtrack at amazon last week.  I wanted volume 1, but I refuse to buy the Sony hacker CD's.  I've never "pirated" songs before, but Sony's asseninity is making me want to do so...but only from THEIR label.   :nono:

mjosef

memory lane...
« Reply #313 on: 9 Mar 2006, 12:21 am »
Within the last week or so, I have picked up music from my coming of age period, the 70's...see if these ring any bells...
1. Joe Cocker, 'Mad dogs and Englishmen'. This is a newly reissued 35th anniversary 2-disc set. Man this brings back memories(mostly stoned out ones lol) like honky tonk women, cry me a river, the weight, lets go get stoned(uh huh), give peace a chance....wooohaaa.
2. Rainbow, catch the rainbow. I remember I had the 2LP set of their live recording, dunno where that is now...but I remember tripping out to that live concert. Richie Blackmore, wonder what ever became of him...
3. Robin Trower, bridge of sighs. Loved his guitar playing then, and he still sounds great hearing this cd today. The sound on this cd is very good, very clean and spacy.
Lastly I also picked up the Ultimate collection of Billie Holiday which consist of 2CDs+1DVD. The sound on the cds are pretty good, haven't seen the dvd yet.

Gordy

« Reply #314 on: 9 Mar 2006, 04:03 am »
Hi Josef,

Here's what Richie Blackmore has been up to....

http://www.blackmoresnight.com/

mjosef

busy man...
« Reply #315 on: 9 Mar 2006, 06:11 am »
Thanks G., he sure have been busy...didn't even know he had reformed Rainbow in the 90's. BY the late 70's my musical attention was focused on jazz. Wow where did those 30 years go...lol.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: busy man...
« Reply #316 on: 9 Mar 2006, 08:29 am »
Quote from: mjosef
Thanks G., he sure have been busy...didn't even know he had reformed Rainbow in the 90's. BY the late 70's my musical attention was focused on jazz. Wow where did those 30 years go...lol.
Check out this cd....live !!
    [/list:u]
      That Joe Cocker set is much improved....better sound and more tunes...it's a good one !!! :wink: [/list:u]

Soundbitten

« Reply #317 on: 9 Mar 2006, 02:28 pm »
    First Blush - Tricky Woo

mjosef

sure right wolf...
    « Reply #318 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:10 am »
    For a live recording circa 1970, it sure sounds good, nice balance throughout, very clean, I love the rapport with the audience...Joe COcker's voice can emote so much emotion. There are several 'newly released' songs which did not appear on the original LP set, clocking in at 58 and 79 minutes, its a whole lotta classic rock to enjoy.

daveshel

« Reply #319 on: 10 Mar 2006, 02:01 am »
    Last week my brother gave me a copy of Greenday's American Idiot. A bit heavier than my usual taste but I like it.