The VMPS Patent, Parts I, II, III, IV

Florian

The VMPS Patent, Part Deux
« Reply #40 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:08 pm »
I am really interested in these new speakers. I like the sound of my 626 and RM30's a lot. Well, i like it all exept the bass. I just can't get that to my liking but with a subwoofer its pretty good. Now the midrange and treble speed is were its at! Also the efficency is great and the volume they can handle.

Is the efficency and power handling going to stay the same Brian?

-Flo

NealH

« Reply #41 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:23 pm »
Florian, those Divas are a sight to behold.  If I had those speakers set up in my home constant directivity would be the last thing on my mind.   I heard a pair of well set up Apogees once and it is permanenty ingrained in my head.  Easily one of the best systems I have ever heard.

Good job with your set-up - looks awesome.

Florian

« Reply #42 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:27 pm »
Quote from: rnhood
Florian, those Divas are a sight to behold.  If I had those speakers set up in my home constant directivity would be the last thing on my mind.   I heard a pair of well set up Apogees once and it is permanenty ingrained in my head.  Easily one of the best systems I have ever heard.

Good job with your set-up - looks awesome.

Thanks Neal, the DIVA is the primary listening system and it will not change. 8) But i also run the RM30's upstairs and they are very good when setup right. I am open to all new inventions but the big Ap is it.

-Flo

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
The VMPS Patent, Part the Third
« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2005, 03:50 pm »
Constant Directivity as a concept goes back at least 30 years and had its origins in the Sound Reinforcement field where engineers wanted more coverage with less complex horn throats (e.g. multicellular).  The rule of thumb was, if you can see the horn throat, you're covered.  Computer-aided design application lead to horns with slower flare rates providing wider (typically plus/minus 60 degrees) and more evenly distributed dispersion.  Since the problem was greatest with HF horns, that is the kind which first appeared in CD configurations.

I remember the bow-tie shaped Emilar horn as being the first CD tweeter.  I don't remember any commercial midrange CD horns, but I'm sure they were made at one time or are still even today.  

A responder to Part the First made quite a distinction between Constant Directivity and Controlled Directivity.  I was uncertain about a correct technical difference and so requested my colleague Jon Risch to respond:

"So far as I am aware, controlled directivity is more of a marketing phrase than a technical one.

Constant directivity has a specific meaning, while controlled directivity can mean whatever you want it to mean.

As an example, an exponential HF horn, which is NOT a constant directivity device, could be called a controlled directivity horn.  Just because the directivity is CONTROLLED, does not mean it is CONSTANT.

However, in recent years, the term controlled directivity has started to be used in the pro sound arena for subwoofers with radiation patterns that are less than omnidirectional, such as subs with dipole or cardioid patterns, etc.  I feel that if this trend continues, then Controlled Directivity may become a term used to describe such subwoofers."

To be clear, then, the phenomenon my patent addresses is Constant Directivity for a type of speaker which invariably lacks such quality.

Now, CD response has a peculiarity which also must be dealt with or the tonal balance of a speaker will change considerably when it is reconfigured from non-CD to CD or near-CD performance.  To learn about "CD EQ", click on this link, then rejoin me for "The VMPS Patent, Part the Fourth"

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/horn_eq.cfm

suits_me

« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2005, 05:05 pm »
Aha! Now I see where all this is leading: A "communication" from Bose's legal division....

; >

Marbles

« Reply #45 on: 17 Oct 2005, 05:07 pm »
Quote from: suits_me
Aha! Now I see where all this is leading: A "communication" from Bose's legal division....

; >

Umm actually I think he is going to stretch this out until he actually gets a patent in 12-18 months....  :lol:

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #46 on: 17 Oct 2005, 05:18 pm »
Busted again.

ScottMayo

« Reply #47 on: 17 Oct 2005, 05:39 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Quote from: suits_me

; >

Umm actually I think he is going to stretch this out until he actually gets a patent in 12-18 months....  :lol:

Well, until he gets the returned receipt for the letter, anyway. :-)

Don't joke about Bose. These are the people who went after Thiel for having a speaker named something vaguely like one of Bose's. Given that Thiel is arguably better than Bose and Bose could possibly have benefitted frm any confusion, that's an indication of how their lawyers react when they smell red meat.

As this sounds like some sort of wave guide (because Brian wouldn't sell a *horn*  :D ), I don't doubt that Bose will check in at some point.

DFaulds

« Reply #48 on: 17 Oct 2005, 05:51 pm »
Unfortuately, I think this is leading to a loss of interest for most of the people trying to follow the story.  It would have been much better to just put this together professionally and have a general press release, with an early release on this forum.

I'll check back in a week, and hope by then we've reached some announcement.

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #49 on: 17 Oct 2005, 06:26 pm »
You're hired to write the press release, which print magazines receive by the carload and in most cases roundly ignore.

It's important that audiophiles familiarize themselves with the technical background of the invention.  If you think there is a better way to accomplish this here or on another forum, let me know.

BobM

« Reply #50 on: 17 Oct 2005, 07:17 pm »
I think the story has been cute enough, and contains enough "bait" to lure me into reading the next one. Although the 3rd part was pretty lean.

However, I would really like to hear about some part of the new design that worked at this point. Then how it was improved upon and such. Perhaps a picture of an early prototype would be nice too.

Time to make some satisfactory progress toward the goal rather than all trial ... and errors.

Bob

ScottMayo

« Reply #51 on: 17 Oct 2005, 07:39 pm »
I think we're all ready for the News, and of course the pretty pictures. And ideally the price. How you got there is interesting enough, but all most folk really want to know is how *they* get there.

ctviggen

« Reply #52 on: 17 Oct 2005, 07:47 pm »
I personally would rather have all the information at once.  I can go back multiple times to revisit about what I'm unsure.

John B

« Reply #53 on: 17 Oct 2005, 08:55 pm »
However, I would really like to hear about some part of the new design that worked at this point.

The The Flux Capacitor worked pretty well  :lol:

KJ

« Reply #54 on: 17 Oct 2005, 11:32 pm »
Quote from: John B
The The Flux Capacitor worked pretty well.

Hopefully Brian didn't come up with the new design after hanging a clock and slipping on a wet toilet.

-KJ

dwk

« Reply #55 on: 17 Oct 2005, 11:50 pm »
Quote from: John B

The The Flux Capacitor worked pretty well  :lol:

I'm thinking that if the new models have a 'Mr Fusion' stiking out the side, they're going to be awfully tough to sell......

suits_me

« Reply #56 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:51 am »
>I think we're all ready for the News, and of course the pretty pictures. And ideally the price.

And also ready for the letter from Bose legal.

While Bose did successfully sue Thiel for having a speaker with the model number "2.2", which conflicted with a Bose model, my reference in this thread was more based on Bose's successful and quite lucrative judgement against Harman over flare shapes in horns.* Brian is not using horns, so far as we know, but he referenced the article on curvature.

I am sure Bose can find a lawsuit in here somewhere for some reason; after all, their website has an entire section on their intellectual property initiatives....

*This is all from memory, so buyer beware.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #57 on: 18 Oct 2005, 12:59 pm »
Quote from: Nosferatu1923

No temper just have a low bullshit tolerance.

You are missing out on finer things in life.  The fine art of BS acquired from early age when you had to stretch that 3 pages into 5 pages for high school papers and fine tuned in higher learning and work places is to be enjoyed like a fine wine.  You can't hurry a fine yarn in progress.  He's stalling for pictures of new tech speakers in a good veneer finish.  He is giving us funnies while we are waiting.  If you can't stand it check back a week later.  You can't hurry good wine nor speakers it seems.

BobM

« Reply #58 on: 18 Oct 2005, 02:42 pm »
Yeah ... it's a tease. And I appreciate the tension he is creating. I just hope there is something of substance in the next installment. Brian, you need to show us something about the design that is real.

Please

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #59 on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:24 pm »
It all ends tomorrow.