The VMPS Patent, Parts I, II, III, IV

miklorsmith

The VMPS Patent, Part the Third
« Reply #60 on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:32 pm »
I've enjoyed the story, Brian.  It's ironic that what is a HOBBY for most of us can be the source of so much frustration and ire.

Florian

Re: patent
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:34 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
It all ends tomorrow.

WOOOT!!!

I need to check the time zones again so i know when to look  :lol:

trekker

« Reply #62 on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:52 pm »
It all ends tomorrow.

I hope pics are included  :D

John B

« Reply #63 on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:55 pm »
It all ends tomorrow.

Brian NO!  I told you the blue pill, you're not ready for the red one.  Be afraid, be very afraid.  :mrgreen:

John Casler

« Reply #64 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: trekker
It all ends tomorrow.

If the truth be known, that is what has been taking so long.

B, is still learning how to take and post digital pics :o  :lol:

Florian

« Reply #65 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:26 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Quote from: trekker
It all ends tomorrow.

If the truth be known, that is what has been taking so long.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Maybe he should buy one of those 1.2.3 click sets  :wink:

ScottMayo

« Reply #66 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:27 pm »

Please tell me we're getting some professional art done.  :o Actually, it would be *great* to get new photos of the entire line, Angelina'd or otherwise...

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
patent
« Reply #67 on: 18 Oct 2005, 05:48 pm »
Cabinetmaker delivered Rm1a's yesterday WITHOUT the important part.
So we'll make up some "mew tech" u-no-whats for the RM1a's and photograph the yucky hand-cut stuff.

I'll make prints and overnite them to John Casler for him to post.  No, I never learned how to do that.  Tomorrow 10:30 via UPS OK for you JC?

John Casler

« Reply #68 on: 18 Oct 2005, 06:13 pm »

I'll make prints and overnite them to John Casler for him to post.  No, I never learned how to do that.  Tomorrow 10:30 via UPS OK for you JC?

B,  to post here "prints" won't work. :evil:  (I don't have a scanner)

We need digital pics. :wink:

Florian

« Reply #69 on: 18 Oct 2005, 06:19 pm »

B,  to post here "prints" won't work. :evil:  (I don't have a scanner)

We need digital pics. :wink:

Isn't Kinkos big in America?   :mrgreen:

Brian Cheney

patent
« Reply #70 on: 18 Oct 2005, 06:33 pm »
How about pix on disc?  I can get that done locally.

John Casler

« Reply #71 on: 18 Oct 2005, 06:35 pm »
Quote from: Florian

I think that is getting a little too personal :nono:

John Casler

« Reply #72 on: 18 Oct 2005, 06:37 pm »
How about pix on disc?  I can get that done locally.

As long as it is a "digital" pic, it should work.  I think Pix on disc, is either CD or DVD, and should be fine.

Florian

« Reply #73 on: 18 Oct 2005, 07:01 pm »

LOL!

Is it named differently and i messed up on the name?  :o

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #74 on: 18 Oct 2005, 07:08 pm »

LOL!

Hi Florian,

No you got it right.  I was just fooling around.

Don't forget to try the RM30 tweak I posted a few days ago (Tall Boy)

If you listen nearfield, you should hear some intersting developments.

Florian

« Reply #75 on: 18 Oct 2005, 07:24 pm »

LOL!

Hi Florian,

No you got it right.  I was just fooling around.

Don't forget to try the RM30 tweak I posted a few days ago (Tall Boy)

If you listen nearfield, you should hear some intersting developments.

Whew, lucky me  :mrgreen:

I did read the tweak and i am going to have the same bases build for the RM30 that i had build for the DIVAS. They are pretty expensive though so i need to save a bit more. I did buy new cables for the them. QED Millenium MKII BIWIRE cables which sound better then the Audioquest on the RM30. Funny thing is that i originally bought them for the DIVA, but as it turns out the QED sound better on the RM30 and the Audioquests sound better on the DIVA.  

Cheers

Flo

John Casler

« Reply #76 on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:21 pm »
Whew, lucky me  :mrgreen:

I did read the tweak and i am going to have the same bases build for the RM30 that i had build for the DIVAS. They are pretty expensive though so i need to save a bit more. I did buy new cables for the them. QED Millenium MKII BIWIRE cables which sound better then the Audioquest on the RM30. Funny thing is that i originally bought them for the DIVA, but as it turns out the QED sound better on the RM30 and the Audioquests sound better on the DIVA.  

Cheers

Flo

Interesting about the AudioQuest and the Diva.  If I remember correctly those were the Slates, which are rather inexpensive.

As far as the base stands, if you don't want to spend big dollars I can get you, a pair for around $99, but since they are not solid, the low bass suffers a bit, but if you use a sub, they whole thing rocks.

Look here: http://www.av123.com/images_dynamic/gallery/furniture_8_1.jpg

Florian

« Reply #77 on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:36 pm »
Those look pretty interesting, did you have them made for the RM30?

You can find a picture of my bases in the gallery. They are basically a wodden box 75cmx100cm filled half way with small stones and has a huge solid stone plate resting on it. No vibrations ever get through to the floor with the DIVA, so the same applys to the RM30. They cost me around 200 bucks to have build by a woodworker and painted in black ash. I would try the RM30 on it but the DIVA is extremely heavy that i cant even move it by myself. I would take you up on the offer if i havent had such bad luck with shipping and importing things. Remember how they kept the Wodden bases from my RM30's because of the wood?

-Flo

PS: Nevermind they are not in the gallery so i hope noone minds if i post one   in here.

Brian Cheney

The VMPS Patent, Part the Last
« Reply #78 on: 19 Oct 2005, 06:07 pm »
The key to the invention lies in a peculiarity of planar panels: most of the output comes from the center of the transducer, or within about 1/2" either side of the center vertical axis. This area is responsible for about 75% of the speaker's radiation over its operating range.

It should therefore be possible to reduce the width of the panel by suitable means to a value which would enhance its directivity while reducing its sensitivity only slightly, say 1 to 2 dB of SPL.  This must be done without reflecting a lot of energy back into the diaphragm causing FR peaks/notches and coloring the sound unacceptably. In other words,  one might suspend a disco ball in front of a speaker and improve its directivity,  and in so doing destroy whatever good sound qualities the system already possesses.

After much experimentation I devised a slotted waveguide the width of which was the same as the highest frequency for which Constant Directivity was desired.  I selected 20 kHz and a width of about 2/3".  The underside of the waveguide, which contacts the panel stators directly, features considerable absorption and some diversion.

The question arises whether enhanced directivity is that important or merely an intellectual exercise.  There was no way of knowing without building a CD speaker.  The results of imposing the waveguide over an RM 30 or RM 40, my first test subjects, were spectacular.  While the tonal character of the speaker was recognizable, there was much more palpability to the image, more of a "they are here" sense, more naturalness--all to a enormous degree.  Incorporating the tweeter with its post-20 kHz bandwidth into the waveguide transformed the speaker system into a true full-range CD radiator. You can sit anywhere in front (or directly inbetween) the speakers and enjoy the effect.

There was another phenomenon to deal with, which is why I included the link on CD Equalization at the conclusion of Part the Third.  Because a CD configuration spreads the same amount of treble energy over a much wider angle, there is a gentle CD HF rolloff which requires compensation for measurably flat amplitude response.  A 6dB/oct boost centered in the 8-10kHz range is necessary.  This is easily accomplished by means of:

1. a standard Baxandall-type treble tone control like on preamps of old and some pre's and integrated amps of today;
2. an equalizer with a 10kHz hinge point;
3. increasing the tweeter level via a potentiometer such as that already in circuit with VMPS tweeters;
4. a passive EQ which impresses an inverse rollin to the mids;
5. a dedicated supertweeter operating at a higher level than the main tweeter, crossed over at 6 dB/oct at a higher frequency than the main tweeter;
 and several other remedies such as the new digital speaker correction or room correction outboards (SOCS, DEQX, TACT and their kind).

Many listeners will find the CD treble balance just fine as it is, particularly if you have age-related HF hearing loss.  CD trebles just sound smoother, more realistic and better defined, particularly in relatively undamped listening environments like almost all homes.

I have asked John Casler to post pix of the waveguides for the RM 30 and RM 40 (fronts only, since the techniques used on their undersides I'm not giving away just yet).  So, here they are:  

THE 2/3" WIDE FULL RANGE PLANAR CD SPEAKER/WAVEGUIDE

Corbin Johnson

The VMPS Patent, Part the Last
« Reply #79 on: 19 Oct 2005, 06:12 pm »
When can I send money and get what I need to CD my RM40's?

Corbin