New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......

bhobba

Re: New Naksa Amplifier! Quick Initial Impression......
« Reply #280 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:25 am »
You know, the comment about 'transparent SET' was EXACTLY what I was trying to ahieve.  It also is vindication for my quest;  this amp contains new thinking, many threads have been brought together, and I have strong hopes it will eventually rank with the watershed JLH 1969 design.  It's been a long haul!    :banghead:  I have always loved SETs, they are sublime, but they have no power, they distort too much on peaks, and they are very expensive because voltages are high, transformers are critical, and the best tubes are much sought after.  To achieve their sound with an order of magnitude more power was always a holy grail for me.  I'm tickled pink Eric Hider noted it - he is indeed experienced, this sort of comment does not come out of the blue, it's based on years of thinking around the problem.

Hi Hugh

The more I think about it the more I think Eric is correct.  You see in saying it is digital I am thinking about Tripath amps which have been compared to SET's but without the nice even distortion harmonics etc that gives some designs their 'honey' - instead they tend to have a metallic sheen to my ears.  So saying this is like a digital without the sheen is really saying it is like a transparent SET - which is how I will express it in future.

BTW Mike mentioned he will be contacting you about the amp to give his persoanl feedback which basically is as I mentioned - it lacked a bit of the bass grip but definitely sounded non transitorr like.

Did a bit of an internet search and what I call metallic sheen other call bright or glare.  Interesting how we describe the same thing different ways.  Of course the bottom line is your NAKSA doesn't have it.

Thanks
Bill   

rysake

« Reply #281 on: 9 Sep 2010, 02:31 pm »
Bill

I disagreed with you about Seth's sensation, with the Dodd's tube buffer they are really good at this price level.

I am a kid in this area, but I am going to learn the Hugh's NAKSA in a few weeks time.

Ron

bhobba

« Reply #282 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:19 am »
I disagreed with you about Seth's sensation, with the Dodd's tube buffer they are really good at this price level. I am a kid in this area, but I am going to learn the Hugh's NAKSA in a few weeks time.

These are generalizations that I used to try and get my head around the sound of the NAKSA.  I think it is now fairer to say its like a transparent SET.  I was just speaking to Eric today and he reaffirmed in his experience transparent SET's do sound a bit like digital amps with that metallic sheen removed - but of course it depends on the digital amp.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #283 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:00 am »
Hi All

Mike Lenehan posted his own review of the NAKSA.  Here it is in his own words:

Hugh Dean NAKSA 70 Power Amplifier

The NAKSA 70 is a very liquid and musical amplifier ! more Tube sounding than solid state and with significant drive .  Running them against the 720watt $21000 Macintosh MC501’s monoblocks of course was a bit of a lump for them to bite off. We drove it pretty hard into 86db loudspeakers so current delivery in the bass was’nt optimum . Certainly high grade solid state sound and for nearly no money. If you were given the Wyred4Sound DAC 2 by your family for Chrissy this amp may tame it .

And later the comment is it clobbers any RRP product.

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

« Reply #284 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:15 am »
Thanks Bill, good review, very nice of him.   :thankyou:

Along with Laurie Menogue, designer of the VSonics, this guy is possibly one of Oz's best speaker men, so he should know.  He certainly wears the passion........   :beer:

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #285 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:43 am »
Thanks Bill, good review, very nice of him.   :thankyou: Along with Laurie Menogue, designer of the VSonics, this guy is possibly one of Oz's best speaker men, so he should know.  He certainly wears the passion........   :beer:

He is and does wear the passion just like you do.  He can just listen to amp for a few minutes and immediately tell you about it.  Saw that in action the other day - amazing.  And we are very fortunate to have guys like you, Mike and Laurie in this country producing such great products at exceptional prices.  I was just speaking to Mike about the Tranquility and it is an unbelievably neutral and transparent piece of gear.  But people at that price point simply are not used to this so may mark it down a little unless its connected to matching gear - which they may not have.  It is indeed fortunate with produces like your amp and Mike's and Lauries speakers they are available at that price point.  But people need to know about them.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #286 on: 10 Sep 2010, 07:50 am »
Hi Hugh and Guys

Just put the NAKSA in my main rig WOW - this is a few quantum leaps above the little Redgum I was using - no contest.  Detail, sound staging, imaging, depth, layering, everything is just so much better.  Again I am struck by the crystal clarity it has - just so damn clear and transparent - like the Tripath amp I had but no metallic sheen which I have been told is indicative of a transparent SET.  Mike is wrong about one thing - it doesn't make the Wyred For Sound DAC sound any better - or worse for that matter.  That incredible detail is there with even greater force - you hear it all - everything.  Thats the good.  Now the bad - that upper midrange issue is these in full force - sibilance that can reach an annoying level.  I want to be fair about this and say even with the sibilance issue some just love this DAC - they like its warts and all presentation.  I however have discovered it's not my cup of tea.  I do believe it will the perfect match for the Tranquility or Killer which is dead neutral - just like this amp.

I give Mikes Macintosh 5 out of 5 - this amp to my ears is also 5 ot of 5 - just lightly different thats all -   BTW I will let you know I am tough - only two amps have ever got 5 out of 5 from me - this and the Mac's.  Would you pay 20-25 times for something as good but just a bit different - get some better speakers is my advice.

I got to say it Hugh I am like the guy who used to listen to your glass harmony.  Can hardly wait until until I connect it up a DAC more to my likeing like the Tranquility or Killer.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 10:19 am by bhobba »

AKSA

« Reply #287 on: 10 Sep 2010, 09:42 am »
Bill,

This is all very good, and very heartening, a happy ending.....  I hope you get the DAC you really want, sibilance is a PITA and a big issue with amps too.  Normally it comes back to compensation, and I would think that somewhere in the DAC there is an undercompensated voltage amp and/or a HF filter that is not properly calibrated.

Interestingly, the Glass Harmony was my first amp, a hybrid, back in 1995.  The NAKSA is superior sonically, however, and gives almost three times the power and none of the energy wastage (The GH does 300W of heat at idle!!).

The NAKSA takes about ten minutes to warm up, you will find.  I'm absolutely thrilled that you like it so much, and consider it so good.  I have spent a good deal of my life on this fatuous pursuit, and find it difficult to get interested in anything else these days.....  talk about geek...... :o

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #288 on: 10 Sep 2010, 10:56 am »
This is all very good, and very heartening, a happy ending.....  I hope you get the DAC you really want, sibilance is a PITA and a big issue with amps too.  Normally it comes back to compensation, and I would think that somewhere in the DAC there is an undercompensated voltage amp and/or a HF filter that is not properly calibrated.

I have heard the DAC I really want Hugh - the Killer DAC but I am really keen to experiment with some others first before forking out for it.  I have a gut feeling something close or even at its performance can be had for less.  But listening to stuff sure is fun.  But I have to tell you I am enjoying this amp so much I wont be changing this for a while - maybe when you have you next breakthrough.  I really should watch the news right now and catch up on some TV - but I can't pull myself away from this amp - it is entrancing.

Yea sibilance is a real bugger.  But in this case it is actually in the Saber DAC chip used.  It has a slight problem in the upper midrange two designers who actually built DAC's using them noted.  It tends to loose sibilance control because the problem is right in that region.  It is conjectured it is related to the up-sampling in the DAC.  Oh and BTW that was the other problem I noticed with digital amps this gets rid of - no sibilance control issue.

Thanks
Bill

Johnny

« Reply #289 on: 10 Sep 2010, 11:17 am »
no sibilance control issue.

No, none at all! :angel: zero :angel: nada  :angel:

bhobba

« Reply #290 on: 10 Sep 2010, 11:54 am »
No, none at all! :angel: zero :angel: nada  :angel:

You arn't whistling dixie.

Thanks
Bill

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
« Reply #291 on: 13 Sep 2010, 07:39 pm »
Naksa review is on-line & the report is stellar as expected but it's always nice to have confirmation of one's expectations.   :thumb: http://tirnahifi.org/reviews/?page_id=207

I'm a friend of Fran, the reviewer & I lent him the amp for review. He is a great DIYer (posts as woodturnerFran on DIYA) - just look at his test equipment - he built 99% of it ranging from turntable, CD transport, DAC, amp & speakers. I heard the amp in his system on the Sachiko horns with modded FE206e drivers but not with the Quad ESL 57 speakers. He tells me this is a synergy made in heaven! I'll be looking for an audition when I pick up the amp.

BTW, while you're on the site have a look at his review of my Hiface based USB transport MK2  http://tirnahifi.org/reviews/?page_id=193 Couldn't resist, Hugh, hope you don't mind  :thumb:

AKSA

« Reply #292 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:30 pm »
Thanks for posting, John, and yes, I'm like a dog with two tails, both wagging furiously!!  WOW!!   :thumb:

I will indeed read your review, Fran is very discerning, I liked his test and audition gear a lot!

Must go post the review onto the website!

It's a good day today, thanks to you both.....   :thankyou:

Hugh

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #293 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:38 pm »
Thanks for posting, John, and yes, I'm like a dog with two tails, both wagging furiously!!  WOW!!   :thumb:
Jeez, don't take off like a helicopter, Hugh, we don't want any air accidents   :lol:

I will indeed read your review, Fran is very discerning, I liked his test and audition gear a lot!

Must go post the review onto the website!

It's a good day today, thanks to you both.....   :thankyou:

Hugh
No problem, Hugh, everyday above ground is a good day  :D

Johnny

« Reply #294 on: 14 Sep 2010, 02:04 am »
Couldn't have said it better m'self, in fact you have. Except that I can attest that it is every bit as true with the "conventional" Vsonics loudspeakers...
Tir Na HiFi!  OMG :rotflmao:

Naksa review is on-line & the report is stellar as expected but it's always nice to have confirmation of one's expectations.   :thumb: http://tirnahifi.org/reviews/?page_id=207

I'm a friend of Fran, the reviewer & I lent him the amp for review. He is a great DIYer (posts as woodturnerFran on DIYA) - just look at his test equipment - he built 99% of it ranging from turntable, CD transport, DAC, amp & speakers. I heard the amp in his system on the Sachiko horns with modded FE206e drivers but not with the Quad ESL 57 speakers. He tells me this is a synergy made in heaven! I'll be looking for an audition when I pick up the amp.

BTW, while you're on the site have a look at his review of my Hiface based USB transport MK2  http://tirnahifi.org/reviews/?page_id=193 Couldn't resist, Hugh, hope you don't mind  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #295 on: 14 Sep 2010, 03:11 am »
Congrats on your good review Hugh !!! :beer:

AKSA

« Reply #296 on: 14 Sep 2010, 03:52 am »
Thanks Johnny and Chris!

My first review was 2000 in TNT Audio, and it launched the AKSA, which sold by the hundreds.  This is my second review!  I'm hoping this one will do the same, and when it's posted at StereoMojo in the next few weeks (don't have a time yet) I would hope it draws a lot of potential interest to my website.  Not everyone is a buyer, but such is the pulling power of the internet that even if I could sell only a few each week I would be in seventh heaven....  of course this means that my life will change from R&D, my first love, to sales, something I'm less comfortable with.  But ultimately it might lead to expansion of Aspen and graduation to a more volume-oriented business model.  That would be nice, because most products have a limited life, and can only be sold over a short window of opportunity.

I'm most grateful to John Kenny and Francis Morrin for their willingness to commit and take the trouble to review the amp, Francis for the actual review, and John for the loan of his precious NAKSA 70 for more than a month of sensory deprivation!!

I can't complain, life really is a lot of fun......     :P

Hugh

gaetan8888

« Reply #297 on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:12 am »
Hello Hugh

Very good review, Congratulation.

I was sure that it would be a very good review.

That should give a boost to the Naksa buyers number wen it will be posted at StereoMojo.

Bye

Gaetan

bhobba

« Reply #298 on: 14 Sep 2010, 07:47 am »
Congrats on your good review Hugh !!! :beer:

Yes indeed Chris but having one myself I was in no doubt.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2010, 10:35 pm by bhobba »

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #299 on: 14 Sep 2010, 09:17 am »
While waiting for Stereomojo, why not drive some traffic to Fran's Forum, http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/ as some slight form of payback.