GIK/RealTraps

bmckenney

GIK/RealTraps
« on: 17 Jan 2009, 03:43 am »
Have you reviewed products from either?  If not, do you have plans to?  If not, your readers would like you to.

Bryan

TONEPUB

Re: GIK/RealTraps
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2009, 02:33 am »
We haven't yet, but I've been using GIK stuff for a while now and really like it a lot.

I have to get some measurements done so I can get some decent data for the article.
Probably won't do real traps as I just don't get along with Ethan...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:16 am »
Probably won't do real traps as I just don't get along with Ethan...

I can totally understand that sentiment Jeff.

Cheers,
Robin

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:48 am »
Well, I really know the GIK stuff works well.
We've had it for a little over the year and I am very
pleased with the results.

Can't recommend it highly enough....

bmckenney

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:52 am »
Thanks Jeff.  Not exactly a review, but a good conclusion perhaps.  You just need to write up a lead and the body, take a couple of pictures and you're good to go.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:21 am »
It wasn't intended to be a review or a conclusion.

:scratch:

bmckenney

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:31 am »
It wasn't intended to be a review or a conclusion.

:scratch:

Jeff, I was joking.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:25 am »
I have a LOT of GIK panels, and I have a friend who has a lot of Real Trap panels.

We did not do any "in the same room comparisons".

My thoughts are that they both work very well.

The GIK are less expensive and look OK.

The Real Traps are more expensive and look it.

So if you want to impress with looks, by all means go with Real Traps.  If you aren't quite so picky, go with GIK and save a few bucks. 

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:34 am »
If you want to do a review that's strictly by the aesthetics, I'd disregard both them others and give the nod to Acoustic Art panels sold by Echo Busters. The Modright room below blows away the competition in the WAF arena AFAIC. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 07:07 am by satfrat »

bmckenney

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:00 am »
But the GIK 242 Elite and the Pillar with the wood trim look pretty nice to me.   I agree the normal bass trap products from GIK don't have the same fit and finish look as the Real Trap products like the Mondo from what I can tell from pictures.  Also the Elite Pillar looks to have a pretty good camouflage ability in that it can look like a plant stand or something.  The Mondo can't do that.

Bryan

I have a LOT of GIK panels, and I have a friend who has a lot of Real Trap panels.

We did not do any "in the same room comparisons".

My thoughts are that they both work very well.

The GIK are less expensive and look OK.

The Real Traps are more expensive and look it.

So if you want to impress with looks, by all means go with Real Traps.  If you aren't quite so picky, go with GIK and save a few bucks. 

I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:05 am »
That's why we offer 2 different lines.  The standard line is a very cost effective way to get great performance at very reasonable prices.  Some people actually prefer that look.  The Elite series is a result of people asking for something a little nicer looking.  Unfortunately, that comes at a cost.

We've actually been investigating doing prints on fabric for some time now.  We're just looking for a cost effective way to do it.

Bryan

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:38 am »
I should note I have the Standard Line and have never seen the Elite Line by GIK

Jeff, I try not to do business with people I don't like.
I have no problem with Ethan, but understand if you do.  I have not done business with him, but only because of cost.

AB

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:34 am »
If you want to do a review that's strictly by the aesthetics, I'd disregard both them others and give the nod to Acoustic Art panels by Echo Busters. The Modright room below blows away the competition in the WAF arena AFAIC. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Those aren't Echo Buster panels. They are Art and Acoustics Panels. See http://www.artandacoustics.com/

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:19 pm »
I think those art panels are pretty darn cool. Not sure how many guys out there can afford $800 per 2x4 foot panel though.  :scratch: :bawl: :dunno:  Just keep in mind that it is pretty common to have up to 10 panels in a room so at $800 your looking at A LOT OF COIN!
Bryan is right though it is something we have looked at but not really sure if it is just COOL or a real seller like the Tri Trap and Pillar Traps are. I think moving in the direction of things like the Table Trap (furniture)  and so on is what people really want, but then again I could be wrong on that. Maybe it is both? but at a better price?

GLENN

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:12 pm »
While the Acoustic Art panels look stunning, their price is equally stunning!!   :cry:

Here is their pricing according to their website:

Pricing

Art and Acoustic panels can be created in a variety of configurations. They are priced at $100. per square foot, so for example, a large 48” x 60” (20 SF) single panel would be $2000. If the same image is divided into three 20” x 48” (6.66 SF) panels, they would be $667. each or $2001. for the three together.

While I love the look, three 20" x 48" panels for $2000 is simply much too high!!

If you look at what Echo Busters is doing, they are asking for an upcharge of 15% to add artwork to their panels.  So three 18" x 48" panels with artwork would cost $948.75.

I have no idea sonically how the Art and Acoustics panels compare to the Echo Busters, but the Echo Busters are literally half the price.

Anyway, I am hoping that Art and Acoustics, GIK, or RealTraps can come out with cost effective, artistic, room treatments in the near future.

George

rydenfan

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:14 pm »
Glenn, I agree they are pretty high prices. ASC seems to offer some nice choices for much less.

http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/picture-panel-samples.htm

http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/picture-panel-pricing.htm

arthurs

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:18 pm »

While I love the look, three 20" x 48" panels for $2000 is simply much too high!!

They looked and sounded terrific in person at CES, but I have to agree with George...

Levi

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:19 pm »
That's why we offer 2 different lines.  The standard line is a very cost effective way to get great performance at very reasonable prices.  Some people actually prefer that look.  The Elite series is a result of people asking for something a little nicer looking.  Unfortunately, that comes at a cost.

We've actually been investigating doing prints on fabric for some time now.  We're just looking for a cost effective way to do it.

Bryan

Great products Bryan!  Are you making custom sized panels?  

Levi

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:28 pm »
Yes.  We can make custom sizes for pretty much anything with a few restrictions - like:

Tri Traps can only be made shorter - not longer and can't change the dimensions of the triangle.

All other products have the standard size as the max size.  Things can be made smaller but not larger. 

The big thing with custom prints is the setup fees.  If we had existing artwork to choose from, that's much more reasonable.  Doing 1-offs gets very expensive in a hurry.  The printers we've talked to that will do large prints like that and on cloth, want a minimum $125 setup fee per print - not to mention the actual cost of the production printing.  That means we're easily doubling or tripling the price of the treatments depending on which one we're talking about.  Is there a real market for this?

Bryan

rydenfan

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:34 pm »
Bryan, perhaps I am off-base but I do believe there is a big market for printed panels that take on a more artistic feel. As you know, through your hard work with me, I am fairly limited on options right now but once we move I would certainly opt for all my panels to look like the ASC ones I referenced above but with the absorption of your panels.

Should we move this thread to the Acoustic Circle??