GIK/RealTraps

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: GIK/RealTraps
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:50 pm »
Bryan, perhaps I am off-base but I do believe there is a big market for printed panels that take on a more artistic feel. As you know, through your hard work with me, I am fairly limited on options right now but once we move I would certainly opt for all my panels to look like the ASC ones I referenced above but with the absorption of your panels.

Should we move this thread to the Acoustic Circle??

I would love to see this moved to the Acoustics Circle.   :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:03 pm »
Don't hijack my thread, this is the TONE forum, remember?  We are discussing us reviewing room treatment.

You couldn't give me a set of those acoustic art panels. That is some of the most unattractive stuff I've ever
seen, but it's not my taste in art, which is what I think will ultimately be a tough sell for something like that.

What I would be very curious about is how much the ink on the fabric, which decreases the porosity of the
fabric affects it's ability to absorb sound, or if it changes a linear frequency absorbance at all.  Either way,
I'm amazed that guys that complain about a couple of blue lights detracting from their listening experience
would want those things in the room.  Ugh.

But buying any kind of art is very subjective.  What one person finds dreadful, another thinks is great.
I have a 54" inkjet printer, so I guess I could do some custom prints for my panels if I really wanted to.

I like the GIK stuff because it works, it's reasonably priced and in basic black or white is very unobtrusive.

The last thing I want to be paying big money for is someone else's idea of art.

bmckenney

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:16 pm »
Don't hijack my thread, this is the TONE forum, remember?  We are discussing us reviewing room treatment.

You couldn't give me a set of those acoustic art panels. That is some of the most unattractive stuff I've ever
seen, but it's not my taste in art, which is what I think will ultimately be a tough sell for something like that.

What I would be very curious about is how much the ink on the fabric, which decreases the porosity of the
fabric affects it's ability to absorb sound, or if it changes a linear frequency absorbance at all.  Either way,
I'm amazed that guys that complain about a couple of blue lights detracting from their listening experience
would want those things in the room.  Ugh.

But buying any kind of art is very subjective.  What one person finds dreadful, another thinks is great.
I have a 54" inkjet printer, so I guess I could do some custom prints for my panels if I really wanted to.

I like the GIK stuff because it works, it's reasonably priced and in basic black or white is very unobtrusive.

The last thing I want to be paying big money for is someone else's idea of art.

Jeff, we haven't really discussed you reviewing room treatments, other than my sarcastic comments that you didnt get.  This thread has been 95% about different vendors room treatments and their merits when it comes to looks and cost.  But I'd still leave the thread here just in case we can turn it around andput you on the spot to do a review of the GIK products :-)

Back to the looks department.  I am also interested the look of the patterned fabric that GIK can use with their Elite products.  Go to here ( http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_elite_pillar.html ) and scroll down and there are three Timberline fabrics available for a very reasonable extra cost.  Take the great look of the pillar trap (e.g. it doesn't even look like room treatment) and add if your room works with these other cloths then it could be a very good thing.  What I like about the patterns is it is not art.  Its more like wall paper or faux painting.  And it could look cooler than basic black or white.

Bryan

TONEPUB

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:52 pm »
You don't have to put me on the spot to do a review of GIK.  Again, I guess I'm not
"getting your sarcasm".

The only thing that is holding up the article, really is a meaningful way to describe
the products in a manner that will be useful to our readers.  I've been talking to
a few people to help me do some measurements that are actually useful and will
coincide with what I'm hearing and wondering if we need to do them or not.

There are a number of other aspects of this that we've been mulling around for
some time now as well, so until we reach a general consensus, it's still on the back
burner.

Unless I can get someone in here that is a fairly noted professional, I won't do the
measurement part of the article, because I am an amateur at best when it comes
to that kind of thing.

I would hope that my listing GIK products as a reference component in the last
100 reviews I've done would carry a little bit of weight.

This is a fairly big undertaking, so it's something that will happen some time this
year, I just don't know when.  I'm still of the mind that a well treated room will
provide a much more satisfying experience with a hi-fi system.

However, just like component and cable choices everyone has different tastes.
I've heard a lot of rooms that have been overdamped and over treated that sound
completely dead, yet the owner of the room loved it.

So part of me is very excited about it, while part of me doesn't want to open
up yet ANOTHER can of worms, starting another argument similar to cables,
power conditioners, etc.

At least with room treatments, we can take some before and after measurements
that will at least show where changes have been made. 

Again, as soon as we can provide some meaningful data, and a decent process
of how to go about room treatment, there will be something forthcoming as I
do feel this is the most important upgrade to your system.

sts9fan

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2009, 07:38 pm »
I am getting ready to paint my GIK 244 panels.  I am going to use light spray paint.  I am sure it will effect them a bit but I am not worried. 

rydenfan

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:24 pm »
Bryan, perhaps I am off-base but I do believe there is a big market for printed panels that take on a more artistic feel. As you know, through your hard work with me, I am fairly limited on options right now but once we move I would certainly opt for all my panels to look like the ASC ones I referenced above but with the absorption of your panels.

I just sent Rob a PM so hopefully he can move it  :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:25 pm »
I don't want the thread moved....
Please let us moderate our own forum, thank you.

sts9fan

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:55 pm »
Que the Rolling Stones. 

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:01 pm »
New thread and poll posted in the Acoustic circle

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:34 pm »

I just sent Rob a PM so hopefully he can move it  :thumb:

You are a real piece of work ryderfan. This is Jeff's Circle, not yours or anyone elses! :nono:

Cheers,
Robin

rydenfan

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:50 pm »
Robin, sorry I offended you and/or Jeff. I have never been great with dictators and that is why I simply left. Best of luck.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:31 am »
Robin, sorry I offended you and/or Jeff. I have never been great with dictators and that is why I simply left. Best of luck.

You didn't offend me. But you and Zybar trying to dictate what threads should be and what shouldn't be in Jeff's Circle, well that's a different story.

Good luck with your thread in the Acoustic Circle. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:43 am »

You didn't offend me. But you and Zybar trying to dictate what threads should be and what shouldn't be in Jeff's Circle, well that's a different story.

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

Nobody was dictating anything.

rydenfan simply asked if the thread should be moved to the Acoustics Circle and I said "I would love to see this moved to the Acoustics Circle."

If that is considering dictating, I guess you and Webster have very different definitions of the word.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:05 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

rydenfan simply asked if the thread should be moved to the Acoustics Circle and I said "I would love to see this moved to the Acoustics Circle."

If that is considering dictating, I guess you and Webster have very different definitions of the word.

George

What I said to ryderman especially holds true for you George as you were the catalyst to all this thread moving talk. What topics are discussed in this Circle are none of your business.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:09 am »

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

George

What I said to ryderman especially holds true for you George as you were the catalyst to all this thread moving talk. What topics are discussed in this Circle are none of your business.  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

Who the hell put you in charge??   :finger:

If Jeff had an issue with the suggestion let him deal with it - he certainly doesn't need your input.

BTW, it is rydenfan.  Might be nice to get it right on one of your posts.

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:12 am »

Who the hell put you in charge of what topics should be in this Circle and want topics should be moved? :finger:

Your arrogance is unbecoming George. :roll:

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:16 am »
Jeff,

If my reply to rydnefan's suggestion to move the topic to the Acoustics Circle was upsetting to you or in bad taste, I apologize.

I am also sorry that I let Robin's comments get to me.  Clearly the right course of action would have been to ignore them.  Going forward, I will do that.

Regards,

George

rydenfan

« Reply #37 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:38 am »
I am sorry if I fueled this in someway;  I truly had the best of intentions when I asked if we should move the thread. I was trying not to derail the Tone circle and put the conversation in the right place, so much for that...

Robin I think you are WAY out of line to me and even more so towards George. Really uncalled for IMO.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:49 am »
I am sorry if I fueled this in someway;  I truly had the best of intentions when I asked if we should move the thread. I was trying not to derail the Tone circle and put the conversation in the right place, so much for that...

Robin I think you are WAY out of line to me and even more so towards George. Really uncalled for IMO.

I'm not surprised you'd feel that way. You showed the same childish indifference in your own thread towards Jeff as you're continuing to show here. If I'm out of line for calling you 2 out,,,, so be it. But it was you, then George that were out of line first. You might keep that in mind as you first apologise, then continue to add the fuel.

Cheers,
Robin

arthurs

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:07 am »
I was under the distinct impression Zybar and Rydenfan were trying to be courteous to Jeff and his circle with the suggestion the thread might need to be moved....