Japanese Chef's knives

whopnyc

Re: Japanese Chef's knives
« Reply #100 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:07 pm »
Funny I just found this thread. I ordered a 240mm Gyuto from http://www.moritakahamono.com/ the other day. It's made with Aogami Super Steel.  I've always used nothing but German knives but felt they were lacking. Hopefully this will do the trick.  As far as pricing with knives, think of it as a lifetime investment. Two hundred dollars doesn't sound like much then.

jules

« Reply #101 on: 21 Jul 2007, 12:47 am »
Some nice blades there ... very authentic Japanese designs using carbon steel ...

Sashimi anyone?

jules

ooheadsoo

« Reply #102 on: 21 Jul 2007, 01:29 am »
It's just too bad carbon steel rusts so easily.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #103 on: 22 Jul 2007, 02:39 am »
You hit the nail on the head, Jules.  The technique for using a 10" is different than an 8"- the shorter knife doesn't "rock" as well.  I find a large knife easier to use (long practice and it's what I'm used to).

Btw, I'm posting from fishing camp- they now have a wireless router in the office! :oops:  "Roughing it" just ain't what it used to be! :lol:  I took my knife roll with me, too- it's much easier to be camp cook with all the pro tools.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #104 on: 31 Jul 2007, 07:08 am »
Well, while I was in Sioux Falls today I found a great deal on the 10" Shun Classic chef knife. :)  I have to say I'm floored by it!  I've never seen a knife that sharp right out of the box. :o  "Scary sharp" is an accurate assessment.  Almost as impressive is the deftness of it- it's lighter than my Wustoff Trident 8", and perfectly balanced.  A wonderful knife!

I'll probably give my sister my Henckels santoku and buy a 7" granton-edge Shun.  It's easily the nicest santoku I've ever seen, and the 2 Shuns I already have have won me over. :guitar: