Bryston Bi-200 New Integrated

mrhyfy

Re: Bryston Bi-200 New Integrated
« Reply #40 on: 10 Mar 2024, 01:51 pm »
There's also a thread about the Bi200 on Canuck audio mart. Maybe someone should answer questions and concerns there as well.

Or they can come here with their "concerns".

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 10 Mar 2024, 02:20 pm »

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2024, 04:21 pm by James Tanner »

Williams2

« Reply #42 on: 10 Mar 2024, 02:53 pm »

Or they can come here with their "concerns".

Just trying to give a heads up because someone should care. Since CAM is way more known than audio circle, ignoring a large customer base might not be a good move. I'd like to see Bryston do well, but whatever, it's not my company.

bcugk

« Reply #43 on: 10 Mar 2024, 03:16 pm »

Agreed, the thread isn’t positive
Talk of non response etc, that isn’t my experience with Bryston but seems to be theirs

Just trying to give a heads up because someone should care. Since CAM is way more known than audio circle, ignoring a large customer base might not be a good move. I'd like to see Bryston do well, but whatever, it's not my company.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 10 Mar 2024, 03:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes we had some issues with repair parts through COVID and then moving production to our larger factory in Dwight slowed things down substantially.
We are back up and running again so things should improve substantially from here.

best
james

R. Daneel

« Reply #45 on: 11 Mar 2024, 06:46 pm »
Pretty sure that was me. :D

You would agree, I'm certain, that re-designing the BP-19 board to move the Balance buttons would incur some cost and, instead of just one board for two different products, there are two that have to be tracked, ordered, stocked. The program that runs the machine that makes the holes in the face plate would need to be tweaked to move those two buttons. More cost. A large volume manufacturer can spread those costs out across a lot of units with a likely small impact to end user pricing, a small one doesn't have that scale.

Every change has a cost. The variables are how much and who's paying for it.

Yes, but it doesn’t cost as much as you think. Redesigning the tracing on the PCB takes hardly any time at all and hardly any attention from an electronics engineer. A CAD operator can make the necessary changes in two hours and have the program derive the necessary data to be loaded into the machinery to produce a prototype board. The CNC machine work costs the same.

There was a time when manufacturers could make pretty much anything you wanted. When I bought the BDA-2 in 2012, Bryston was happy to make it a custom order with 4 RCA coaxial inputs instead of having 2 RCA and 2 BNC ones. That’s because the electronic designer in question put double traces on each of the inputs, allowing both connectors to be used.

This is what is expected from Bryston and companies like Bryston – the extra mile. Otherwise, you might as well buy a mainstream product. The “high-end” pedigree and breeding doesn’t just come from performance. It comes from the service the company is committed to providing to its customers. Cost comes second. There are very few companies still providing such service today, a lot fewer than people think, and it makes absolutely no difference how much money you spend. In some cases, the more you spend, the ruder they get.

So, while I would normally agree with your reasoning, it just doesn’t apply here.

Cheers – Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 12 Mar 2024, 02:13 pm »

Jozsef

« Reply #47 on: 12 Mar 2024, 10:23 pm »
The new faceplate options are very attractive. I would suggest no extra charge for the standard colours or just discard the incised borders that look ungainly to my eyes and go with the simpler design across the board.

I recall that General Motors in the sixties would design unattractive "standard" steering wheels and wheel covers so that people would pay extra to have the optional at extra cost, good looking Deluxe ones instead. This struck me as rather cynical back then and doing something similar is not a great idea. I understand that this may simply be a case of different tastes from mine.  :wink:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 12 Mar 2024, 10:39 pm »
Hi Jozef

All the colour options will be the same price so just a matter of cosmetic preference. :thumb:

james

Dan H

« Reply #49 on: 13 Mar 2024, 02:51 pm »
Quote from: Jozsef
I recall that General Motors in the sixties would design unattractive "standard" steering wheels and wheel covers so that people would pay extra to have the optional at extra cost, good looking Deluxe ones instead.

Super off-topic, but I'm doing it anyway. :D  The "plane" steering wheels came in the lower trim level models. Chevrolet's Biscayne, for example, was a lower trim level with an unadorned steering wheel while the Impala was a higher trim level with a more attractive steering wheel (as well as the rest of the interior). If you bought a Biscayne you couldn't just check some option box for an Impala steering wheel. This was the case across all GM's product lines. Of course, there was nothing stopping a customer from buying a Biscayne and then wandering over to the parts department and ordering an Impala steering wheel. ;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

clpetersen

« Reply #50 on: 16 Mar 2024, 02:14 pm »
Pretty sure that was me. :D

You would agree, I'm certain, that re-designing the BP-19 board to move the Balance buttons would incur some cost and, instead of just one board for two different products, there are two that have to be tracked, ordered, stocked. The program that runs the machine that makes the holes in the face plate would need to be tweaked to move those two buttons. More cost. A large volume manufacturer can spread those costs out across a lot of units with a likely small impact to end user pricing, a small one doesn't have that scale.

Every change has a cost. The variables are how much and who's paying for it.

Great post, likely very close to the mark.  I always wondered why Bryston chooses buttons for source selection, and not a rotary knob. A knob would allow much more visual symmetry in the front panel layout.

Big Bryston fan, and I do like the front panel design of the new integrated. Prefer a bit of three-dimensionality.  But it appears you can have it both ways (with or without groves in the front panel).

clpetersen

« Reply #51 on: 16 Mar 2024, 02:31 pm »
... and if I could make a suggestion - I prefer the Euro-plug style (might have the name wrong) trigger connections (stripped wire, with screw connects) over the more common 3.5mm style mono-plugs. Those plugs can be persnickety whereas the older style is rock solid. I have both in my Bryston equipment.