Expecting Timepiece Minis?

IronLion

Re: Expecting Timepiece Minis?
« Reply #140 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:20 pm »
Got mine yesterday, been playing them ever since  8).  Photos and some basic impressions to come this weekend. 

groovybassist

« Reply #141 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:52 pm »
You're all in for a treat!  My wife just got me a Naim CD5x for my birthday (an upgrade from the CD5i I've been using) and the Mini's have stepped up another notch.  It's a good sign when a speaker design keeps up with the improvements you make elsewhere in your system.  The CD5x has a level of refinement (especially in the treble) that the old CD5i can't approach - the 5x REALLY shows off how organic and cohesive the Mini's are.  This player is all about presenting music vs. hi-fi and with the Mini's at the end of the string, the music just flows out.  Lots of fun!

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #142 on: 18 Jul 2008, 11:07 pm »
You're all in for a treat!  My wife just got me a Naim CD5x for my birthday (an upgrade from the CD5i I've been using) and the Mini's have stepped up another notch.  It's a good sign when a speaker design keeps up with the improvements you make elsewhere in your system.  The CD5x has a level of refinement (especially in the treble) that the old CD5i can't approach - the 5x REALLY shows off how organic and cohesive the Mini's are.  This player is all about presenting music vs. hi-fi and with the Mini's at the end of the string, the music just flows out.  Lots of fun!

-Mike
Wow! Your wife gets you audio equip. You are a lucky man!
My wife might beat me with some of my audio equip. hehe.
Mike

Emil

« Reply #143 on: 18 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm »
Groovybassist

Did you tell your wife to buy you the Naim or did she do it all on her own? :D

How about a nice Hi-cap for Christmas, honey? :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #144 on: 18 Jul 2008, 11:23 pm »
I was afraid my old Sony amp wouldn't be worthy of the mini's. The opposite happened. The mini's are making my Sony sound better than ever.  :thumb:

That is classic evidence of an outstanding speaker with very low distortion.  What many people consider to be weak or substandard electronics would truly surprise them if they only heard them with speakers that exhibit low distortion.

If your budget forces you to comprise, let it be anywhere but in the choice of speakers.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #145 on: 19 Jul 2008, 01:32 am »
I was afraid my old Sony amp wouldn't be worthy of the mini's. The opposite happened. The mini's are making my Sony sound better than ever.  :thumb:

That is classic evidence of an outstanding speaker with very low distortion.  What many people consider to be weak or substandard electronics would truly surprise them if they only heard them with speakers that exhibit low distortion.

If your budget forces you to comprise, let it be anywhere but in the choice of speakers.

Yep, Bob is making me feel good about my decision to start building my system from the speaker end. I made the mini's my choice based on all the good reports and reviews mostly here on the Circle.

My power amp should be back in a week and then the Sony will be relegated back to the closet again. But by then I'll at least have a good start at break-in.

I really can't wait to see how this all connects up. This journey started in Jan. so I'm ready. :drool:

Gene

groovybassist

« Reply #146 on: 19 Jul 2008, 01:51 am »
Emil:

She did it on her own.  She is one very special lady.  This is actually the second piece of audio gear she bought for me.  She also bought me the Naim Nait5i I'm using for amplification.  Sweet!!!

-Mike

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #147 on: 19 Jul 2008, 01:58 am »
Not that anyone cares except me, but I have tracking #s. Expected delivery 7/23/                                         08  aa
I won't be expecting them much longer.

Nice.... 8)

Happy listening..... :beer:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #148 on: 19 Jul 2008, 02:01 am »
Got mine yesterday, been playing them ever since  8).  Photos and some basic impressions to come this weekend. 

Great Mike..... 8)
Yes...let us know how they work with you Channel Islands 200's... :rock:
Happy listening.... :beer:

bhobba

« Reply #149 on: 19 Jul 2008, 07:04 am »

That's my experience as well.  Audible differences do exist between amps, but by and large it is swamped by your speakers.  And double blind testing of amps shows you need to be reasonably experienced to pick differences in amps:
http://www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

Note that experiments with experienced listeners like those from audiophile magazine shows they can reliably pick the difference. 
Not as bad as trying to pick the differences in cables (which can be done by the way - but it is harder) - but not quite in the same class as the easy to pick difference between speakers either.

Thanks
Bill

Rocket

« Reply #150 on: 19 Jul 2008, 12:34 pm »
Hi Bill,

I read the article that you provided a link to.

Its a pretty old article that you have referred to and amplifiers have come a long way since it was written.

I do personally believe that the most important component in a system is the speaker and if I upgrade other parts of my system I usually only hear minor improvements.  In my experience the next is the amplifier.

I currently have five amplifiers that I have collected over the years and unfortunately I find it difficult to off load them.  I bought my first amplifier over 20 years ago and it was a NAD 3240PE and the amplifiers that I have now are far superior imo.

I'm sure that a good qualifity audiophile speaker, like SP TECH, would make it pretty easy to hear differences in amplifiers.  It is subtle but when you've had as many amplifiers in your system you find out thru trial and error what type of sound you like.

Thanks for the information and I agree it is a lot harder to pick cables than amplifiers  :).

Regards

Rod
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2008, 03:02 am by Rocket »

IronLion

« Reply #151 on: 20 Jul 2008, 12:32 am »
Got these on Thursday- Ipe fronts, Sycamore sides.  They sound very, very good.  8)

mcullinan

« Reply #152 on: 20 Jul 2008, 01:51 am »
Gorgeous Speakers. If I had no pants on I'd ... um
Anyways.
Sweet!
Mike :wink:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #153 on: 20 Jul 2008, 02:59 am »
Got these on Thursday- Ipe fronts, Sycamore sides.  They sound very, very good.  8)

WOW....fancy pair there Mike....they look good !!!! :hyper:

Thanks for the photo's.....enjoy. :beer:

bhobba

« Reply #154 on: 20 Jul 2008, 03:01 am »
I'm sure that a good qualified audiophile speaker, like SP TECH, would make it pretty easy to hear differences in amplifiers.  It is subtle but when you've had as many amplifiers in your system you find out thru trial and error what type of sound you like.

Absolutely.  But please understand I was not referring to guys like you that have an enormous amount of experience listening to amps in their system, the rest of which they are intimately familiar with.  In those circumstances it is rather easy to pick amp differences.  Just like Bob can easily pick it with his speakers - even cables are not that hard for him.  Just like Hugh Dean over at Aspen, who designs his amps a lot by ear, can easily pick even a capacitor change in them.  His experience has led him to believe the amp is the most important element - hardly surprising given what he does.  It comes down a lot to your background and experience.  To those starting out in this hobby, until you get that experience, the main determinant will be the speakers, and what you should spend most of your dosh on.  Shamless plug for getting a pair of minis and relatively inexpensive source and amp gear if you're just starting out.

Thanks
Bill

phoenix_rising

« Reply #155 on: 20 Jul 2008, 06:36 am »
To those starting out in this hobby, until you get that experience, the main determinant will be the speakers, and what you should spend most of your dosh on.  Shamless plug for getting a pair of minis and relatively inexpensive source and amp gear if you're just starting out.

Thanks
Bill

That is probably the best advice on Audio I have heard. Unfortunately most people do not understand that it does not matter how good your sources, amplifier and Processor are if their speakers are incapable of reproducing all the inner details and dynamics at a low distortion level. You can always upgrade all the amplifiers, sources and processors and they do change regularly. I spend about 50% of my budget on Speakers which has worked well for me over the years.

Double Ugly

« Reply #156 on: 20 Jul 2008, 08:29 am »
Absolutely gorgeous speakers, IL.  If they sound as good as they look, you ought to be in sonic bliss.  :thumb:

Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing how they perform with your amps.  I don't believe anyone else has that combo.

IronLion

« Reply #157 on: 20 Jul 2008, 05:56 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous speakers, IL.  If they sound as good as they look, you ought to be in sonic bliss.  :thumb:

Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing how they perform with your amps.  I don't believe anyone else has that combo.

Thank you sir, I think they look quite good also!  More photos will be on the way.  I believe Spence also is using the CIA D200's, but in his case with a pair of TP 3.0's.  I have been running the speakers for about 25 hours now and would like to get them more or less fully broken in before posting impressions, but as of now, things are sounding great.   

bbchem

« Reply #158 on: 20 Jul 2008, 08:35 pm »
 :D  Hi, just a note on my new Amplifier trial, got a Rogue 90 Class A/B 90WPc Tube amp and hooked it up to a tube preamp and the Minis, let me tell you if this is not to die for than there is nothing out there that is to die for. I agree, but I feel the LOudspeaker is 70% of the sonics of the system. I fele Amps are next, than Source, than Preamp etc. Anyone curious about using tubes with the minis, I have now used two Tube amps, 60wpc and 90 wpc and two solid state, 150wpc and 350 wpc and the sound of tubes is surreal to say the least. I know that it is said that 1 tube watt is equiv. to 2 SS watts.

I am in heaven!!!    :thumb: :thumb:  :drums: :tempted: :flame:

RodMCV

« Reply #159 on: 20 Jul 2008, 08:51 pm »
Exciting news Guys,
 Enjoy the Best now that you've got it!

I feel these are the most alive and real sound reproducers I've ever heard!