Expecting Timepiece Minis?

Double Ugly

Re: Expecting Timepiece Minis?
« Reply #100 on: 5 Jul 2008, 03:08 pm »
SP Tech post of the month, Christof.  :thumb:

It seems that while some realize SP Tech speakers are capable of extraordinary sonic reproduction (defined in this instance as "worth the wait"), these same (seemingly) reasonable and intelligent people assume they're designed and built exactly like your average, run-of-the-mill speaker, and consequently should be just as easily and quickly manufactured.  :roll:

Superior performance + superior build + expensively built in the USA should = something more akin to the Magico Mini's price, but some just don't (or don't want to) get it.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #101 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:13 pm »
Anyone heard from Bob lately?

I talked to him last week when he told me my mini's were ready and should ship by July 3rd, if not then by Monday of this week, July 7th. Haven't heard anything since, no tracking #'s, etc.

I sent him an email yesterday morning looking for an update. No reply.

I hope everything is OK in Indianaland.  :thumb:

Gene

Update: I just heard from Bob. Just a few bumps in the road (easy for me to say :) ).

My mini's are on their way!

« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2008, 04:53 pm by Goosepond »

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #102 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:25 pm »
Just got off the phone with Bob, bumps in the road indeed.  :duh: My Minis are done.  :green: Going to have to wait a week so he can ship them so they'll arrive on my days off. Jason, the golden eared son, opined that they are a little quicker in the mid-bass area due to the extra mass of the Ipe.  :drool:

Zero

« Reply #103 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:31 pm »
Goose, Konut,

Of course YOU KNOW we demand pics upon their arrival!   :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #104 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:56 pm »
Without a doubt!

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #105 on: 11 Jul 2008, 12:13 am »
Goose, Konut,

Of course YOU KNOW we demand pics upon their arrival!   :thumb:

I told Bob, that as anxious as I am to get the mini's, I'll probably not be able to listen to them right away. I just shipped my 4 month old amp back for the 2nd time for repairs. Not very confidence inspiring to say the least. :duh:

But I have just bought a pair of very nice speaker stands on Audiogon so I'll at least be able to take some pics, of course.

I'm trying something I'm not sure of. My mini's will be walnut but the stands are maple. Got the contrast thing going for sure.  :thumb:

Gene

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #106 on: 11 Jul 2008, 04:41 am »
Happy listening guys..... :beer:

phoenix_rising

« Reply #107 on: 13 Jul 2008, 07:07 am »

Hi LoneWolf,

Since you have both the Mini and the Timepiece I was hoping you could answer a question for me.  I have two Rythmik subs that will be pairing with the mini's and I was wondering how high a cross-over I would have to go to get the same bass weight as 8" timepieces. At present I was thinking 80 hz but given your comments of it being 85% the bass of the Timepiece I am thinking I may have to go to 100hz to achieve the desired result. In which case I would have to drop from 15" to 12" drivers for the subs.

Thanks
Phoenix

ooheadsoo

« Reply #108 on: 13 Jul 2008, 07:18 am »
I can't really help you specifically since I am using sptech av-2s, which are nowhere near the level of the minis, but I am having good luck crossing over right now with 2 subwoofers @ 60hz, one with phase reversed and the other with phase at 70degrees or so, placed near the midpoints of the side walls.  This is the best balance I've had to date in my problematic room.  One is a hsu vtf-2 and the other is a GR Research 12" w/ passive radiator subwoofer.  Both the av-2 and mini have f3's of circa 40hz, but the av-2 rolls off more slowly than does the mini - however, there is no question that the mini design hits both harder and more cleanly, given adequate power.  I find it doubtful that you will be crossing at 100hz or even 80hz.  Without a doubt, good placement will have a large role.

My subwoofer system is not completely dialed in, but I am satisfied enough with the integration that I am going to just listen and see if I stay satisfied.  So far, 1 week and still happy.

phoenix_rising

« Reply #109 on: 13 Jul 2008, 10:41 am »
I can't really help you specifically since I am using sptech av-2s, which are nowhere near the level of the minis, but I am having good luck crossing over right now with 2 subwoofers @ 60hz, one with phase reversed and the other with phase at 70degrees or so, placed near the midpoints of the side walls.  This is the best balance I've had to date in my problematic room.  One is a hsu vtf-2 and the other is a GR Research 12" w/ passive radiator subwoofer.  Both the av-2 and mini have f3's of circa 40hz, but the av-2 rolls off more slowly than does the mini - however, there is no question that the mini design hits both harder and more cleanly, given adequate power.  I find it doubtful that you will be crossing at 100hz or even 80hz.  Without a doubt, good placement will have a large role.

My subwoofer system is not completely dialed in, but I am satisfied enough with the integration that I am going to just listen and see if I stay satisfied.  So far, 1 week and still happy.

Thanks for that.

I was specifically looking for bass weight and impact which you get a lot more of with the 8" woofer compared to the 6.5" woofer even in the mid bass area.

Maybe Bob can chime in and comment. In HT to get very high dynamic peak which is what I am also concerned about.

Phoenix

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #110 on: 13 Jul 2008, 02:39 pm »

Hi LoneWolf,

Since you have both the Mini and the Timepiece I was hoping you could answer a question for me.  I have two Rythmik subs that will be pairing with the mini's and I was wondering how high a cross-over I would have to go to get the same bass weight as 8" timepieces. At present I was thinking 80 hz but given your comments of it being 85% the bass of the Timepiece I am thinking I may have to go to 100hz to achieve the desired result. In which case I would have to drop from 15" to 12" drivers for the subs.

Thanks
Phoenix

Phoenix.....I don't own a sub.... :?

But.....the Mini's are going out today to BobM....he owns a sub. He'll have them awhile....and has said he'd like to try them in his HT setup...along with his 2 channel setup. He presently has the TP2's as well....for an overall comparison. :thumb:

Chris

ooheadsoo

« Reply #111 on: 13 Jul 2008, 02:44 pm »
I wouldn't be too surprised if the region below the mini's f3 was all you needed to fill.  I heard the s-9, which uses 2 6.5" woofers, but does not use Bob's hybrid alignment, and there was PLENTY bass weight in a hotel convention hall.  Sounded real. :o

mcullinan

« Reply #112 on: 13 Jul 2008, 03:45 pm »
I get to listen to the minis today! Yeah! Thanks Chris.. Cant wait, must elude the wife... she suspects NOThing.. wait what is that sound of an axe being sharpened, honey I , um . aaaargh..
Mike

phoenix_rising

« Reply #113 on: 14 Jul 2008, 10:05 am »

But.....the Mini's are going out today to BobM....he owns a sub. He'll have them awhile....and has said he'd like to try them in his HT setup...along with his 2 channel setup. He presently has the TP2's as well....for an overall comparison. :thumb:

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that much appreciated.

ooHeadsoo
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to hear them for myself.

phoenix

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #114 on: 14 Jul 2008, 03:57 pm »
I just got 2 beautiful undamaged boxes from UPS.

Should I open them or just think about what's inside for a while.

I'll let you know!  :thumb:

Gene

mcullinan

« Reply #115 on: 14 Jul 2008, 04:05 pm »
Post PIcs!
Mike  :thumb:

RodMCV

« Reply #116 on: 14 Jul 2008, 05:19 pm »
   After the long gestation, let those boxes give birth and let the babies breath in the music.

These are the famous twins after all!

Well, your's are matching anyways.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #117 on: 14 Jul 2008, 07:03 pm »
Ok, since I haven't figured out yet how to post a pic in a thread, I did put a pic in my gallery:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1346&pos=1

I knew how much these babies weigh but that doesn't prepare you. They are not small speakers. I can't imagine how big the TP 3.0's must be.

I'm fit to be tied because my amp is in the shop. I might have to unbox my old Sony amp that I was going to give to my daughter.

Otherwise, for now, they are just nice pieces of furniture and something to put on my stands.  :duh:

Gene

IronLion

« Reply #118 on: 14 Jul 2008, 07:08 pm »
Nice!  What finish is that? 

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #119 on: 14 Jul 2008, 07:10 pm »
Walnut