Professional Review on the Clever Little Clocks!..........

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
Re: Professional Review on the Clever Little Clocks!..........
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2007, 07:41 am »
I decided to redact this post. I've already strirred things up too much.

Can't you just click the "Remove" button?

se

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2007, 07:59 am »
I decided to redact this post. I've already strirred things up too much.

Can't you just click the "Remove" button?

se

Thanks for pointing that out, Steve. Many forums don't allow you to delete posts.

eric the red

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2007, 08:10 am »
I also hardly think that the people at Postive Feedback can be so easily be conned.

Is that what you think?

Try this one on for size.

The award in question was given out by writers Dave and Carol Clark (if you go to the article you'll see that it's "The Clark's Brutus and Gizmo Awards for 2006").

Carol Clark has placed photographs of herself (as well as photographs of her audio system) in her freezer and wrote that doing so not only improved the sound of her system, but all the other systems she listened to, even as far away as Las Vegas (she'd attended the CES at the time).

This tweak came to her from the infamous Peter Belt, who claimed:

Each individual human had a fundamental adverse problem imposed on their senses when they had their first photograph taken. A photographic image captures the unique identity of the subject of the photograph but imposes a significant temporal (time) asymmetrical pattern. The action of this photograph radically changed the inner symmetry of the senses of the photographed human being. Fortunately, this debilitating adverse condition is reversible.

To restore a significant temporal (time) symmetry to any person's senses, it is necessary to acquire one photograph which was exposed when the person was young and another photograph exposed when the person was older. Each photograph is placed, individually, into it's own clear plastic bag. The two plastic bags, each containing a spaced time photograph of the same individual, should be placed inside the freezer compartment of the domestic refrigerator.

Geoff Kait, who "invented" the CLC, is also a practitioner (or at least was) of freezing photographs of himself. He wrote on the Peter Belt forum at AOL that the effect changed depending on whether or not there was food in the freezer. He said it sounded better when there was food in the freezer along with the photographs. Another reported that it sounded even better if the food in the freezer was treated with Peter Belt's "Electret Creme."

Well I am planning to buy 2 CLCs in a couple of months. I will be the first to post here if they do nothing except keep time.

Why not try putting some photographs of yourself in your freezer? It would cost you a lot less than buying two CLS. And according to Carol Clark and Geoff Kait, it significantly improves the sound of not only your system, but every system you listen to. That's because the tweak "treats" the listener, not the system. That's also the function of the CLC according to Geoff. It treats you, not your system.

se

You're making this up right? Or tell me it was an April Fools joke. Please

eric the red

« Reply #43 on: 7 Feb 2007, 08:22 am »
Rather than have an open mind I am rather surprised at the reaction some of you have towards the CLC.
I also hardly think that the people at Postive Feedback can be so easily be conned. So I suppose Shun Mock discs also don't work and are another con? Why shoot the messenger? If you have not tried them are you in any position to comment? Well I am planning to buy 2 CLCs in a couple of months. I will be the first to post here if they do nothing except keep time.

Don't forget to set the clock to the right time. With two maybe you might have to divide the correct time to 44 and 1/2 minutes past  Machina Dynamica time.

"The time displayed by the CLC should be (approx) 99 minutes ahead of EDT (Eastern Daylightsavings Time); I mispoke in my last post - I meant to say EDT not EST.

In California it's what, 8:30 AM Pacific Daylightsavings Time? Then you should set the clock for 12:09 PM.

One feature of the CLC is that it is set for a time in the future, later than the local time. I set the two AK test clocks here prior to shipping; thus anyone receiving one of the test clocks, whether he is in the US or Canada, will receive it already set "correctly" to a time later than his local time.

Overseas shipments are a little more complicated...Smile

Hope this clears things up a bit...

Regards, Geoff"

Ever heard the saying "What a crock of shit"?

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #44 on: 7 Feb 2007, 08:36 am »
You're making this up right? Or tell me it was an April Fools joke. Please

Sorry. I'd love to help you out here, but I'm afraid I can't. T'is true.

se

rabpaul

« Reply #45 on: 7 Feb 2007, 09:12 am »
I was wondering when someone would bring up Peter Belt's theories. Well I have not been able to find a picture of myself when I was much younger so I can say I have not tried freezing my images.
Now tell me what do you have to lose? If its crap you can tell the world. If its not, I would think you would NOT tell the world lest anyone who reads your post thinks you have really gone off your rocker. Well I have tried some other little things (I have not bought anything as yet) and jumping jellyfish they do work. Its all in my mind? Not if some vistors noticed the change and they have no idea what magical mumbo jumbo I have performed in the background and I have no intention of telling them either.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #46 on: 7 Feb 2007, 09:19 am »
Why not try putting some photographs of yourself in your freezer?
Hmmmm.....how cold does the freezer have to be ?  :wink:

Dan Banquer

« Reply #47 on: 7 Feb 2007, 12:26 pm »
  The Clever Little Clocks won an Award here.... http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/brutus.htm

Attention all AC members. It's has become clear to me that Soundideas is back under another name!
Sing Hallelujah :banana piano:

Happy Days are here again.  :beer:

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE SONICROCKS
               D.B.

PhilNYC

« Reply #48 on: 7 Feb 2007, 12:32 pm »
Why not try putting some photographs of yourself in your freezer?
Hmmmm.....how cold does the freezer have to be ?  :wink:

What about freezing pictures of the clever little clock? :scratch:

Bingenito

« Reply #49 on: 7 Feb 2007, 01:02 pm »
Instead of messing around with Pebbles, Clocks and Freezing photos it might be more beneficial if these people would pull their head out of their butts. I suspect that you can hear better that way but I could be wrong.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #50 on: 7 Feb 2007, 01:13 pm »
Hey, I own the CLC, and the pebbles, Geoff is a cool dude, who actually has scientific backup....... :duh: :drool:I used to be like you guy's who have never tried things, but still have opinions.  I am NOT that way, nomo :drool:

Would you be willing to send your clock out on an AC tour?  I am sure there will be a bunch including me who will be willing to pay the postage to check it out.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 7 Feb 2007, 01:38 pm »
I don't want to check out the clock myself but after reading this thread and laughing my ass loose, I would be very eager to read the reviews. Laughter is reputed to be the best medicine and I anticipate a generous dosage following the observations of our panel of testers.

As audiophiles, we always claim it is all about the music but our behavior says otherwise. We all have the music but we are not willing or able to stop there. We are driven to pursue an ever better high, a more intense dosage, a greater experience. If we become content, we become inactive audiophiles. This, it seems to me, is the dynamic that makes some of us vulnerable to the Clever Little Clock and all of us vulnerable to other gizmology that is only slightly less ludicrous. So, while I snicker and sneer at this little fraud in the front row of detractors, I cannot ignore my own stupid choices made when I was more ambitious about the fantasy and less discriminating about my expenditures.

gooberdude

« Reply #52 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:10 pm »
has anyone reading this taken up May Belt on her offer of free foil?

I did. 

i'm a sucker for tweaks but have to admit the foil did nothing.   What was absolutely wild about the whole experience is that May (PWB) sends you the complete price list of their products....their shit isn't cheap whatsoever and they sell over 50 indiv products.    One tiny jar of some crazy cream cost over $300, a green pen to write your name with costs $85, safety pins with your name on them cost $40 each, and so on....    Literally, i could spend a few thousand $'s 'tweaking' the PWB way, and basically all i've done is practice my signature - many of their tweaks involve YOU and not your stereo.       I wish i still had the price list, i'd post it here.       

i must admit though that all the foil i 'installed' is still in place...i'm a sucker for stickers too.

May Belt's posts at audioasylum are always a hoot...

just thought i'd share this, until this morning i didn't realize the CLC was a PWB creation...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #53 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:21 pm »
By awarding that stupid clock, Positive Feedback hurts its credibility with me rather than adding to the Clock's credibility, which I imagine was their intention.
HiFiSoundGuy was sent here to antagonize, entertain or demean us. Can't tell which but nothing he has to say will ever be taken seriously by this reader. I have too much experience with value, reality, products and function to fall for such nonsense.
Reading questions and comments in various audio forums makes me aware that many fundamental misunderstandings exist in audio. But most of it is failed logic or just confusion conferred by advertising or intiated by the likewise confused. This instance represents outright fraud in my opinion. Like religion, it traffics in subjective or unverifiable claims that cannot be disproven. Certain unfortunate persons exist who see the failure to disprove as being a form of proof. These fools are the customer base for stuff like the clock.

So if your religous your a fool,You have just insulted the majority of the world.Feeling better now.Maybe if you had religion you would be more tolerate of other peoples choices.
rollo

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:33 pm »
Isn't it enough that I tolerate your spelling and grammar?
The rules here forbid religious discussion so I don't think I can elaborate for your edification. Suffice it to say that the majority of the nation thinks McDonalds is food and that Bose makes great speakers. All the majority brings to any discussion is numbers.
My 16 year old son was involved with a young lady whose parents are quite religious. She wanted to talk about it but Dewey was unwilling. Finally he told her that god is an imaginary friend for adults. I was very proud of him for displaying that degree of perception so young. They split up.

miklorsmith

« Reply #55 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:38 pm »
Whoa, fellas!  Don't derail the train now.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #56 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:49 pm »
Yes, please keep this topic on the current ridiculous course it's already on  :icon_lol:

DB mentioned that 'HiFiSoundGuy' is the re-incarnation of 'soundideas' (who posted much like HiFISoundGuy does in content and style)....but doing a little IP search seems inconclusive to reach that conclusion. 

Tho they are both based in the US, their IP's are different and they live about 1000 miles from one another in different states.

Soooo, what we have here seems to be a soundideas sound-alike, but not the same individual. Unless soundideas physically moved sometime in the past 6 months.

Just thought y'all might like to know  :wink:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #57 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:50 pm »
I agree.  I don't see where macrojack's statement necessarily leads to rollo's conclusion, but let's leave that out of this CLC discussion.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #58 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:54 pm »
Isn't it enough that I tolerate your spelling and grammar?
The rules here forbid religious discussion so I don't think I can elaborate for your edification. Suffice it to say that the majority of the nation thinks McDonalds is food and that Bose makes great speakers. All the majority brings to any discussion is numbers.
My 16 year old son was involved with a young lady whose parents are quite religious. She wanted to talk about it but Dewey was unwilling. Finally he told her that god is an imaginary friend for adults. I was very proud of him for displaying that degree of perception so young. They split up.

Macrojack,
               I didn.t insult you,sorry I'm not an english major.As far as religious discussion is concerned you brought it up.If you want to make it personal thats your choice.You can elaborate in the fight club,so you can educate me.For Dewey a closed mind dosn't show perception it shows ignorance but at least likes girls.
rollo

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 7 Feb 2007, 05:42 pm »
Perhaps Hifisoundguy is just an admirer who is imitating the style and lack of substance he appreciates.

How is a stupid individual to know he is stupid? Everything he says makes sense to him and he thinks others  are stupid for failing to agree. He may even have a tendency to extrapolate on harmless comments or illustrations enough to find a reason to feel insulted. When this occurs, I seek high ground and coffe grounds.
It's a Kona blend this morning.

Relevant to the subject of tweaks, I notice that the comment usually states that the listener(s) can hear a difference. The implication, though conspicuously not stated, has it that this difference is an improvement. Seldom are the improvements described or detailed. Same with mods. I notice people proclaiming that something has been modded as if that, in and of itself, has meaning or value. Likewise I have seen comments declaring that the writer can hardly wait to get his hands on product X so he can mod it.
To me that is like pouring salt all over your food without even tasting it. Shouldn't you know the starting point before you make adjustments? Can I get a witness?