How to get more people into our world, how do you do it?

mfsoa

Re: How to get more people into our world, how do you do it?
« Reply #100 on: 16 Feb 2007, 01:06 pm »
The most rewarding thing for me is to know that I've gotten people into MUSIC and that this gift will last for a lifetime.

Lately, I've been hearing from old high school friends I haven't seen in 20 years. To hear my old friend say "I was just playing some Return to Forever" and it made me think of you..." was really a great feeling!

PhilNYC

« Reply #101 on: 16 Feb 2007, 01:27 pm »
I just discovered this thread and have not read through all the pages of responses.  Here are my thoughts, with apologies if I'm repeating anything that's already been discussed.

There are three reasons I hear from my "mainstream" friends as to why they do not indulge in high end music systems:

1 - Too expensive!  The reality for most people is that spending $1000 for a stereo component is something that takes a lot of thinking and discussion for a family decision.  Admittedly, since becoming a dealer, I've had to wake myself up a few times in terms of what constitutes "affordable" for a lot of people; when Focus Audio came out with the FS-68SE monitor, a non-audiophile buddy came over and I said "hey, they're only $2K!"...he looked at me like "only?"   I recently helped a friend put together a system for about $8K, and all his wife could say was "he didn't spend that much on my wedding ring".

2 - Too big!  And not only the wives think so.  Particularly when I lived in NYC, where space is a premium, but even in the burbs, the idea of having to orient an entire living space towards a sound system because the speakers are relatively large is very unappealing.  This is why the Bose Acoustimass systems became so popular...they were small.  In-walls seem to be the rage in new home construction.  Home theaters are changing some of that...for some reason, people are more into 5.1 surround (with in-walls)...perhaps its partially because movies are more "mainstream" than music that sounds good on a good system.  I will say that Class D amps such as Bel Canto's e.One series have generated much interest, because they are small, don't generate heat, and are non-intrusive.

3 - Music not that important!  A couple of my non-audiophile friends who have money and space are simply not into music enough to invest in a great system.  They certainly appreciate it, but when listening to the pop music that they like, it just doesn't matter to them whether or not they are getting a natural sound.  If it sounds bright, they are more than happy to turn down the treble on a tone control or equalizer.  What will get these people to invest in a good system is not the sound quality, but the conveniences.  Something like the Class D amps that allow them to hide the gear is appealing.  Something like a Squeezebox/Transporter is appealing to have all of their music available anywhere in the house.  But chances are they are still going to look for the least-intrusive speakers they can find...

kbuzz3

Phil is right
« Reply #102 on: 16 Feb 2007, 02:51 pm »
I agree with mr sonic spirits 100 percent. While my friends are intriqued and curious about my systems, in the end it really boils down alot to what phil said. He seems to be right on the money. 

Too bad he sold the demo unit i just asked him about...he also have another customer

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #103 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:33 pm »
One of the things that vexes component manufacturers is how to get more people involved in this world.

If, by "this world" you mean the world of exotic hi-fi gear where each essential part of the "system" is lovingly chosen and procured at some difficulty and very carefully arranged in proscribed patterns, roughly equivalent to a home shrine, then I think most manufacturers (and publications!) serving this particular market are doing as well as they deserve.

If, by "this world" you mean the world of music appreciation in general, then it comes down to:
1. much more support in education - which includes exposure to quality music played on a quality (audio/video?) system at some point in the child's educational experience, since most will never ever get to have the real experience of un-amplified music in a concert hall. Here's unexplored territory for manufacturers - sell school districts on the importance of each district having a mobile hi end demonstration system transport between schools to instill an interest in music.

Music really is important, in my books. In fact, to put my cards on the table, I am of the opinion that music is humanity's best idea and the most important unifying force in our world.

2. Smarter design.

We are entering an era where a few important details are falling into place - cheap, small and efficient core components (amplifier chips, DSP chips, playback transports). I read the other day where manufacturers can now buy the equivalent of the cpu of an old Mac Classic for a dime. This amount of processing power can make for a very smart stereo, plus it can make a cheap smallish wide range driver sound great, with a little judicious DSP applied to take care of that bark at 5 kHz, etc.!

The buyer wants the security and convenience of buying one brand. This makes sense to them, and for some good reasons.

All that is needed now is a simple, small, elegant, high performing, cheap one brand system - say of Galo quality, for reference sake, or Hsu quality, for a little more.

In other words - a better looking, better built, more flexible and versatile, better sounding Bose-type system. At the same price!
And, for the "third world", Bose quality - battery powered and 1/5 the price.

I see Yamaha as a manufacturer who could, with their resources, do this. So could Mark Schifter of AV123, with his connections, if he could force himself to think a little more "down-market".

I also agree completely with PhilNYC.

TONEPUB

« Reply #104 on: 16 Feb 2007, 08:53 pm »
That's all good stuff.  However, PHILNYC said music isn't that important!  I understand
where you are coming from though..

In issue 9 of TONE Audio, we are changing our format and putting the music section
in the front and the gear in back, to reinforce how much we agree with that philosophy.

We also donate ad space to VH-1's Save the Music program and are working on a future
project that will allow us to be a monetary contributor to this very worthwhile charity
that assists our schools music programs.

I guess what we are trying to do is bridge the gap between being a magazine for
music lovers, and people who are very enthusiastic about hifi gear, yet at the same
time trying to expose the entry level people to this world as well.

Some people will become high performance audio enthusiasts and some will
not, Im ok with either side of the fence...

I'm not sure how we will succeed or exactly where we will end up in our focus.  I know
that when Mark from Affordable Audio came to me over a year ago with his ideas
I wasn't interested in reaching quite that far down market.  He's doing a fantastic
job with AA, so I do belive there is room for everyone here.

Unfortunately, not all mfrs have the expertise to make electronics and speakers.
Some do and do a great job with it, others not so well.  But again, I do think this
is a great solution for many.

We've had some great discussion here and I think we have covered most of the
bases. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #105 on: 16 Feb 2007, 09:15 pm »
That's all good stuff.  However, PHILNYC said music isn't that important!  I understand
where you are coming from though..

Actually he said his "mainstream" friends think that, so this ties in with what I said about education.

JEaton

« Reply #106 on: 16 Feb 2007, 09:29 pm »
Music education has very little correlation to audio playback systems, whether it's high, mid or low end.  If you know any professional musicians then you probably know what I'm talking about.  I've met very few with decent two channel systems.

Exposing kids to music is a wonderful thing and very commendable.  Exposing them to fine audio systems in schools sounds like mass marketing.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #107 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:05 pm »
Music education has very little correlation to audio playback systems, whether it's high, mid or low end. 
It does have something to do with "getting people into our world", though, if "our world" refers to the world of music. I realize it has nothing to do with the world of exotic stereo systems, though, but I was seeking clarification on that. 
If you know any professional musicians then you probably know what I'm talking about.  I've met very few with decent two channel systems.
I know - I record lots of them and my wife is a pro. I would say that their systems are a little better than average, on the whole, especially in the correct tonality department.
Exposing kids to music is a wonderful thing and very commendable.  Exposing them to fine audio systems in schools sounds like mass marketing.
A lot cheaper and more practical than trucking them off by the busload to theaters, though, and the brand names could be obscured, unless they're donated.
I must say though that the cheapest music awareness-enhancement program I ever heard of was in rural Nova Scotia, here in Canada. The superintendant of music education, a brother of Sir Hugh Roberton of Glasgow Orpheus Choir fame, had a choir formed and toured it around the province. The thinking was that this might arouse interest in music and every school could afford a choir, there being no instruments to buy. Apparently it worked.

prokennex

« Reply #108 on: 16 Feb 2007, 11:38 pm »
Nova Scotia..........Hey that's where I live. Small world.

PhilNYC

« Reply #109 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:06 am »
However, PHILNYC said music isn't that important! 

HEY! :nono:  I said that "the average person" thinks that "music isn't that important"...I, on the other hand, could not live without music... 8)

PhilNYC

« Reply #110 on: 17 Feb 2007, 12:10 am »
Music education has very little correlation to audio playback systems, whether it's high, mid or low end.  If you know any professional musicians then you probably know what I'm talking about.  I've met very few with decent two channel systems.

On the other hand, my sister was about as "gotta get it from K-Mart" as they get.  Boom box, all-in-one portable, etc.  Then, when she discovered that her 6 year old daughter was somewhat of a piano prodigy, she said that her daughter's piano teacher urged her to get "a good stereo" so that her daughter could listen to pieces and actually hear what the music was supposed to sound like.  Suddenly, sis calls me up and says "What can $5K buy me?".  She ended up with something that cost her $10K, and she now couldn't be happier (her daughter, too!)   :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #111 on: 17 Feb 2007, 04:53 am »

[/quote]

On the other hand, my sister was about as "gotta get it from K-Mart" as they get.  Boom box, all-in-one portable, etc.  Then, when she discovered that her 6 year old daughter was somewhat of a piano prodigy, she said that her daughter's piano teacher urged her to get "a good stereo" so that her daughter could listen to pieces and actually hear what the music was supposed to sound like.  Suddenly, sis calls me up and says "What can $5K buy me?".  She ended up with something that cost her $10K, and she now couldn't be happier (her daughter, too!)   :thumb:
[/quote]

Well, there you go.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...

Im always amazed when people that I never thought would buy a decent system, go nuts over it.

I guess that's why in the end, it's hard to actually market to a certain audience, because
some people just make the connection from the oddest places!