Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...

Danny Richie

Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...
« on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:04 pm »
I thought I'd finally drop a little announcement about the up and coming subs.

I have been working with Brian Ding of Rythmik Audio on some new subs that I will be offering shortly.

These new subs will be utilizing Brian's patented Direct Servo technology.

Read all about it here: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

The Direct Servo technology produces the cleanest, tightest, most accurate low end that I have ever heard. I don't just mean by a little bit either. I mean by a lot. Nothing on the market that I know of comes close to the performance that this technology brings to the table.

I have been working hand in hand with Brian and the woofer manufacturer to design three different 12" woofers. These woofers have now all been approved and a production run is now under way. I should have stock on them by the first week or two of January.

These woofers can be used in a sealed (most musical) or ported enclosure (for the most output).

The first one is a 4 ohm woofer. Optimal sealed is 1.2 to 1.5 cubic feet of air space. Yes the box is that small. Plus the servo keeps the woofer flat to 20Hz. It not only adds power as needed but slams on the breaks too keeping it in control in a way that no other sub can compare.

The second woofer has parameters just like the first one but is an 8 ohm woofer. This allows you to parallel both woofers onto one amp. This further decreases distortion by cutting the output level to each sub in half, and increase maximum SPL levels as needed.

The third woofer is a completely different animal. It is a high Qts design (just over .7 Qts) specifically designed to work in free air, in open baffles, or in infinite baffle configurations. This woofer will give you the control of a boxed woofer plus a flat response to 20Hz. These are a 16 ohm version allowing you to run two or three woofers off of one amp. This could easily be the number one solution out there for dipole bass designs.

I plan to offer these woofers for only $149 each. So not only do they out perform everything else on the market but they are not expensive either.

The new plate amps being made for these are adjustable in frequency response from 25Hz to 160Hz. They have variable phase, plus a variable EQ circuit so you can correct a peaked area or dipped area in your room response. It also has additional crossover slope settings that will allow you to add a 24db per octave slope at  50Hz or 80Hz to the 12db per octave slope variable crossover point. It has a rumble filter that can be turned on or off. It even has selectable extension filter and variable damping settings. These amps do it all. The amps will be available in mid January as well.

Here are a few pics of one of the 12" subs.

I'll post the T/S parameters for all three woofers shortly.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2008, 06:01 pm by Danny »

BradJudy

Re: Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2007, 11:22 pm »
I'll go for the obvious question:  What will be the differences between these driver/amp combos and the ones that Rythmik sells?  In particular, compared to their combo designed for a small, sealed enclosure. 

gprro

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2007, 10:35 pm »
Any pricing on the amps? Will they all be servo models?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2007, 04:51 pm »
Brad,

These use a lighter weight paper cone, and are priced to sell.

And you know I like the more natural sound of a paper cone especially in applications where these will be crossed high.

I'll get pricing on the plate amps shortly, and yes they are specifically designed for these servo woofers.

Tmantn

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2007, 05:27 pm »
Danny,

Do you think that this could substitute for the Woofer in the OB 7 plus? :D

Travis

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2007, 05:35 pm »
Do you think that this could substitute for the Woofer in the OB 7 plus?

Yes it can. I think the 8 ohm version would be most ideal for the smaller 1 cubic foot of air space in this design.

Tmantn

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2007, 05:41 pm »
So I take it the third woofer is going to go in an ultimate open baffle bass column to support the OB line array you are working on. :notworthy:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2007, 05:47 pm »
So I take it the third woofer is going to go in an ultimate open baffle bass column to support the OB line array you are working on.

:green: Six 12" woofers per side on an open baffle and servo controled. It will use two servo amps per speaker with built in EQ and the works. It will be cool.  :thumb:

Jazz and Baroque

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2007, 06:58 pm »
Will the 12" driver fit into an 11.0-inch diameter cutout with 6.75-inches depth clearance??

Mike

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2007, 06:59 pm »
This is the answer to my dreams.  I was just going to contact you about a sub to go with my OB5's.  I stole the one I have now (Adire Audio Rava's) to go with my HT.  Absolutely perfect.

I may be in the market for two to go with my AV 1's I just got from you.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:13 pm »
So I take it the third woofer is going to go in an ultimate open baffle bass column to support the OB line array you are working on.

:green: Six 12" woofers per side on an open baffle and servo controled. It will use two servo amps per speaker with built in EQ and the works. It will be cool.  :thumb:

WOW!  I have to hear those.  :thumb:

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:22 pm »
Yep, looks like the bass module for the future OB LS is planned.  Now for the mid/tweet module :drool:

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:46 pm »
Will the 12" driver fit into an 11.0-inch diameter cutout with 6.75-inches depth clearance??

It does fit an 11" hole cut out. From the surface to the bumped back plate is about 6 and 3/8".   :D

BlkNotes

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:47 pm »
Dear Danny;

What is the sensitivity of the 16 ohm OB woofer? What are the surrounds made of?  Is the magnet structure ferrite?

Thanks
BN

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2007, 07:53 pm »
What is the sensitivity of the 16 ohm OB woofer?

Right at 85db.

What are the surrounds made of?

Foam type.

Is the magnet structure ferrite?

Yes.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:16 pm »
...The first one is a 4 ohm woofer. Optimal sealed is 1.2 to 1.5 cubic feet of air space. Yes the box is that small. Plus the servo keeps the woofer flat to 20Hz. It not only adds power as needed but slams on the breaks too keeping it in control in a way that no other sub can compare.

The second woofer has parameters just like the first one but is an 8 ohm woofer. This allows you to parallel both woofers onto one amp. This further decreases distortion by cutting the output level to each sub in half, and increase maximum SPL levels as needed...
hi danny,

if i wanted to build a sub w/a single servo plate amp, i am curious as to whether it would be better to run two 4 ohm subs in series to get an 8 ohm load on the amps, or to run two 8 ohm subs in parallel to get a 4 ohm load on the servo plate amps.  what would the effciency of a dual-driver sub like these be, max output, etc; and if one were to build one, would the cabinet size simply be doubled, vs building a single-driver sub?

thanks,

doug s.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:32 pm »
It is better to use two of the 8 ohm woofers and run them in parallel. This is why they were designed. Besides I don't think you can series the servo coils.

Max output depends a little on the box size verses exertion. A pair of them will have pretty solid output but I don't know what the max output would be. It would also depend on frequency.

And yes the box size would double.

Jazz and Baroque

« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:39 pm »
if i wanted to build a sub w/a single servo plate amp, i am curious as to whether it would be better to run two 4 ohm subs in series to get an 8 ohm load on the amps, or to run two 8 ohm subs in parallel to get a 4 ohm load on the servo plate amps.  what would the efficiency of a dual-driver sub like these be, max output, etc; and if one were to build one, would the cabinet size simply be doubled, vs building a single-driver sub?

Doug,

I am eagerly awaiting a chance to hear these subs.

Mike

BlkNotes

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:54 pm »
Dear Danny;

85db/ 1 watt@1 m ---I guess this woofer would not be appropraite in an OB with the woofers crossed with a low pass filter driver by an SET?  I am assuminng this would mandate the use of a separate amp to power the woofer portion, most likely a SS type.

BN

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2007, 09:09 pm »
The servo subs must be used with the direct servo plate amp. So sensitivity is not an issue. You can just turn up the gain to match you main speakers.

See this info for a better explanation: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/technology.html

Also the reason that the OB version is 16 ohms is so that two or three woofers can be used on one plate amp. Using this many woofers will get the ouput level up to levels typically only obtained with boxed subs.