Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...

ttan98

Re: Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...
« Reply #80 on: 3 Feb 2008, 08:54 pm »
Danny,

For your info Exodus Audio has a new sub for OB, DPL-15 see

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50353.0

I am interested in OB sub like yours or Exodus Audio DPL-15 Dipole/IB not SW-12B

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #81 on: 4 Feb 2008, 02:38 am »
do you need a special servo amp or std amp will do?

Yes you must use the Direct Servo amps. They are available through Rythmik Audio. I believe that they are currently $229 or $249. for the older models and they are in stock. I am sure Brian can chime in with the actual price.

The new amps have some really nice added features like an EQ system and variable 12db and 24db per octave settings. The new amps should come in at the $279 to $299 range. I'll make them available for order on my site as soon as they become available. The last time I spoke to Brian he said it would be the end of Feb. on these new ones.

if the former is true then the price will increase, become less economical.

Even if the new amps are $299 plus $149 for the woofer, that's only $448. That won't buy you the biggest, the loudest, or hardest hitting sub on the market. It gets you the best sounding, most accurate, most articulate, and most musical sub on the market. That sounds like a bargain to me.

It will also get you a flat response to below 20Hz in only a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box. I don't know of any other subs that can deliver that either, not with this level of driver control.

I think the Exodus Audio sub woofer amp does not need servo amp.

You can run all of these subs off of a conventional non-servo amp too. But why?

If you want a something in a lower price range we offer a great SW-12B model for only $99 each. There are a handful of amps listed here for under $100: http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html

Clearly there are less expensive alternatives if that is what you are looking for, but no greater quality can be had than these new servo driven combos at any price. They are that good.

Danny,

Sorry to come to the rescue late  :)

The current version of amp will be $249 when purchased separately for Danny's 4-ohms drivers. This is the so-called 12db version on Rythmik Audio web site, mainly for those have HT receivers and use the bass management for front and subwoofers. The 24db version will be $20 more expensive. The shipping is flat $21.

The new amps will be delayed to the end of March. It will have the one band PEQ and 12db-24db switchable Lowpass filter on the sub.

Is it worthwhile to spend extra money on GR/Rythmik servo kits?
I normally post on avsforum. Over there I have explained the advantage of servo over nonservo (or Linkwitz Transform). Nevertheless, customers' feedback is far more important.  So far the feedback is very consistent this is one of the fastest and cleanest subs.  Personally I sell both Linkwitz Transform based kits and servo kits. The servo kits consistently outperforms LT-based kit with clarity and coherence. There are so many reasons for that:
1) servo reduces boxy sound. That is, it controls the cone against the reflection sound waves from inside of an enclosure. Our servo reduces the transmission of the secondary reflection via the subwoofer cone to the external by a factor of up to 3x.  That is why these subs do not sound like just another subwoofer with non-offensive sound. It is actually very different. It is clean and goes low.
2) The transient response of a sealed box is mainly determined by the Qts value of subwoofer+enclosure.  Our 12" kits (same as Danny's) has a Qts value of 0.3 (or less depending on models) when it is in an enclosure. That is 3 times lower than nonservo. Our bass can literally stop on a dime and that is from our customer's feedback.
3) Most people think putting multiple drivers or having a larger excursion will improve the bass. As a matter of fact, other than making it play louder, it does not improve the Qts, nor it improves the cone control against the internal reflection. So it is still the same old sound.
4) The spider/surround distortion makes the bass sound less coherent. This mainly manifests itself as a lack of details or dynamics. Our servo can reduces the spider/surround distortion by 3x.  I used to have the story about 16ohms LS3/5A monitors on my website and how that speaker becomes the most sought after among all LS3/5A. When I sold mine on ebay, I got 6 or more questions if mine is a 16-ohm version . I, just like most other not familiar with the situation, mistaken that 16ohms version sounds better because it is an easier load vs later version as 8ohms.  It turns out it has very little to do with the impedance. Rather it is the new surround material that they used on the mid-bass driver that degraded the sound (making it less dynamic).  Using multiple drivers or a driver with high excursion is not the answer for this challenge either.
5) Our servo has negligible thermal compression as long as you don't play at full power. That is because our frequency response is not affect by the temperature of the voice coil. We have a consistent Q value for our bass roll-off, no matter it is in the Arizona desert or Colorado snow mountain. At the same time, because we can make the bass extension so low, we can offer 3 extension settings (14hz, 20hz, and 28hz) and 3 damping settings(Q=0.5, 0.7, and 1.1). All the damping settings are set up by electrical components which has an error of less than tolerance of speaker components. Coherence is the name of the game here.

So the final question is if you care for a sub that will sound so clean and clear that you feel like you have just upgraded a CD player. I wouldn't have any doubt. 

Brian 

« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2008, 03:25 am by rythmik »

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 4 Feb 2008, 03:56 pm »
Hey ttan98,

That looks like a really nice woofer and I have a lot of respect for my good friends that offer it.

If you want to compare them as to playing low in an open baffle both will do so very well. However both of these woofers playing in free air will begin to roll off around 40Hz and be -3db down in the mid to low 20Hz range (that's great). However the servo controlled SW-12-16FR will play flat to below 20Hz as the servo system senses and corrects the signal to a flat response. Distortions are also greatly reduced.

The real kicker is when you look at how fast each of them can return back to a resting position after hitting a hard note. Which one will more quickly dissipate the stored energy and overcome the inertia of the long excursion?

Do you think it to be the woofer with a moving mass of 271 grams or the woofer with a moving mass of less that 105 grams?

Now consider that the one with the lighter weight cone not only has that advantage doing for it but a servo control system to electrically slam on the breaks and further assist its return to center. 

The Direct Servo controlled SW-12-16FR looks like a winner to me.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #83 on: 4 Feb 2008, 04:22 pm »
Its an apples and oranges comparison.   The DPL-15 is a dipole/IB driver and the parameters reflect that.    Most of my sales will be to IB subwoofer installs would be my guess.   A servo based design is more of a system design (amp, signal processing + driver) approach so its like comparing an engine to a complete car.    The engine is just part of a completed car and a driver is just part of a completed system.

In terms of "best".   Like most things it depends on what your looking for and what your goals are.   If your building a dipole bass sub-system the DPL-15 will be a great tool for doing so.    It won't directly compare to what Brian & Danny are selling though because its two totally different approaches.   

Which sounds better?   I leave that to others to debate.    I have my own preferences but I've learned that its not a simple as saying solution 'A' has lower distortion, or a stronger motor or less moving mass.    You can achieve good results in a number of ways.   The "best" is always going to be something people will argue over.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #84 on: 4 Feb 2008, 04:36 pm »
Thanks for chiming in Kevin,

You are completely right. It is an apples and oranges comparison.

I would guess your subs to be a really great IB install for home theaters. It would go really low in that configuration too. It also comes in at a really good price point. Way to go Kevin. That price makes it a really good value.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
How does servo work in IB/OB/Dipole?
« Reply #85 on: 4 Feb 2008, 08:15 pm »
I want explain a bit on how the designs of those 16ohms drivers are different from other approach (Kevin I have not implied which one is better :). I will leave that to the customers).  Most of today's driver has a Qts of 0.3 to 0.5 depending on if it is designed for sealed or vented box.  For those designed for sealed box,  they should have a Qts around 0.4 to 0.5 by itself. When they are installed into an enclosure, the Qts increases to 0.8-1.0 depending on the enclosure size. A lot of customers will just use these drivers for IB/OB/Dipole application, which will result in a lack of passband efficiency caused by a stall effect.  This is because at the resonance frequency fs, the output is actually inversely proportional to the BL value and therefore larger motor (or higher BL) can cause the back EMF to stall the driver (sort of like restricting the output).  For instance, the output at fs for a Qts value of 1.0 is 4 times more efficient (in terms of power) than a Qts of 0.5 assuming both have the same passband efficiency above frequency 3xfs.  While this efficient does not affect the entire passband, it pretty much affects the frequency between 0.7fs to 1.4fs.  We have consciously made the decision that we would like the Qts of driver around 0.8 (it is 4 times more efficient than a driver with Qts of 0.4 when measured in power requirement). To achieve that, we didn't downsize the magnet. We actually still use regular magnet size. However, we use a 2 layer coil so that 1) the mag gap is tighter, and 2) the moving mass is lower.  All these design tricks still maintain the driver to be able to make 1.4" p-p or higher linear excursion (the voice coil is 2" long) using only 90WRMS power. Then we make the impedance to be 16ohms so that we can parallel 4 of them, driven by the same servo amp (with 370WRMS output).  We then use servo to bring down the Qts from 0.8 down to 0.3 or lower to preserve the fast transient response.  Everything seems to be in itself own place so perfectly.  We have the output of a physical Qts=0.8 charactersitic and have a transient speed of Qts=0.3 using the servo control. 

« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2008, 09:17 pm by rythmik »

ttan98

« Reply #86 on: 4 Feb 2008, 09:55 pm »
I thought I may have generated a heated discussion.

Cheers to Kevin and Danny for being so civilised in discussing their own product especially on 2 competing products.

The users will read your arguements closely and they will make up their own mind.

walkern

« Reply #87 on: 5 Feb 2008, 02:02 pm »
Hi Brian,

Am going to take the plunge on one of Danny's new 4 ohm sub drivers and would like to purchase the 24db sloped amp from you (too impatient to wait for the new version of the amp).  I don't see any way to do so at your web site.  I only see the "SE" non-servo versions of the amps available for sale.  Should I call to place my order, or did I miss the area where the servo amps are listed for sale?

Neil W.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #88 on: 5 Feb 2008, 02:58 pm »
Danny,

Could these OB sub drivers play up o 180-200hz? I'm thinking a complete OB design, with the sub drivers crossed directly over to the MTM portions of the OB5/7 kits....

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 5 Feb 2008, 03:16 pm »
Could these OB sub drivers play up o 180-200hz? I'm thinking a complete OB design, with the sub drivers crossed directly over to the MTM portions of the OB5/7 kits....

Yea, I have been thinking a lot about that myself and I am certain that I will find out very soon.

The woofers response is very smooth to much higher than I would have thought it to have played. It is smooth up to 1kHz and usable to 500Hz.

The plate amp can allow a crossover point to 160Hz, but that is likely more of a -3db down point. Drivers actually cross when they are 6db down. So there is a good chance it might reach just fine. We'll see.

nodiak

« Reply #90 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:55 pm »
Zero and Danny, that's my aim too, and probably alot of others are looking at this solution. Think I will order two of the 16 ohm drivers to use with my existing Rythmik amp to get a feel for the OB bass. It won't be optimal as will be a single sub, but is a start. Expect it will work well, and will order two more with the new amp when ready. I have a few diy OB mains to try, want to try the OB 5 mtm's too.
Sounds fun, should be great!
Really into the Rythmik servo abilities, it has proved cleaner and more controlled than the OB bass drivers I tried (in this room). So matching it to OB's should be "a whole new level".
Don

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #91 on: 6 Feb 2008, 07:20 am »
Hi Brian,

Am going to take the plunge on one of Danny's new 4 ohm sub drivers and would like to purchase the 24db sloped amp from you (too impatient to wait for the new version of the amp).  I don't see any way to do so at your web site.  I only see the "SE" non-servo versions of the amps available for sale.  Should I call to place my order, or did I miss the area where the servo amps are listed for sale?

Neil W.

Neil,

I am working with Danny to come up with a solution. Most likely is he will set it up on his web site to handle the amp ordering as well.

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #92 on: 6 Feb 2008, 03:00 pm »
Zero and Danny, that's my aim too, and probably a lot of others are looking at this solution. Think I will order two of the 16 ohm drivers to use with my existing Rythmik amp to get a feel for the OB bass. It won't be optimal as will be a single sub, but is a start. Expect it will work well, and will order two more with the new amp when ready. I have a few diy OB mains to try, want to try the OB 5 mtm's too.
Sounds fun, should be great!

For higher SPL, I would really recommend 4 units. The loss of output from front/back cancellation is pretty significant unless one uses H or W frame.  The shelving function can be implemented on the servo amp as we have provision for one shelving up circuit.  However, I need to know the corner frequency.  My proposed lower end will be 20hz to provide reasonable extension. However, how about the upper end corner frequency?

In terms of upper end limit of servo, Danny and I need to try it before we have a definitive conclusion.

Really into the Rythmik servo abilities, it has proved cleaner and more controlled than the OB bass drivers I tried (in this room). So matching it to OB's should be "a whole new level".
Don

Thanks for the testimonial.

nodiak

« Reply #93 on: 6 Feb 2008, 04:58 pm »
I was hoping to use 2 of the 16 ohm drivers as dipoles per side. I have some OB mains that can go to 70 hz and some others that go to 200hz. Want to try both so was hoping to use the frequency adjustment on the servo amp to blend from 70-200. Was going to experiment with flat, U, and M (forward facing but a 90 degree baffle) for the 200 hz cutoff. Then those plus H and W for 70 hz.
I hear what you're saying about cancellations and output. Unfortunately at this time I couldn't afford 4 drivers per side - don't really have the space anyway. If that is the case then I would just go with another sealed Rythmik for a stereo pair. Which is still far beyond everything else I've tried.
Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 6 Feb 2008, 05:36 pm »
Don, I think he meant two drivers per side.

nodiak

« Reply #95 on: 6 Feb 2008, 07:32 pm »
oh, that's quite different

...never mind!
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2008, 08:43 pm by nodiak »

rbrockman

« Reply #96 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:11 am »
+1 - "OB design, with the sub drivers crossed directly over to the MTM portions of the OB5/7 kits...."

There are many opportunities here for a OB5 style top section, and then using the servo sub(s) in either an OB or sealed bottom section. 

Sorry in advance for so many questions - this really has me intrigued.

How close in output would 2 12" servo driven drivers in OB u frame be to 1 12" servo driven driver sealed? 

Do I understand correctly that these new drivers can reproduce up to ~500 hz, but the servo electronics are not tuned for use this high and would leave a gap to cross-over to the MTM section?   

How would the "mid-bass" in a servo driven 12" compare to the 4 sealed units in the OB7?

Danny Richie

« Reply #97 on: 12 Feb 2008, 02:38 pm »
How close in output would 2 12" servo driven drivers in OB u frame be to 1 12" servo driven driver sealed? 

I'll know for sure soon, but it should be very close.

Do I understand correctly that these new drivers can reproduce up to ~500 hz, but the servo electronics are not tuned for use this high and would leave a gap to cross-over to the MTM section?

We don't know if there will be a gap left at all. Brian and I are looking into it to see if any adjustments will need to be made to the electronics on the amplifier.

How would the "mid-bass" in a servo driven 12" compare to the 4 sealed units in the OB7?

The quality of it should be great. How well it blends with the MTM section is yet to be seen (or heard). We certainly will be working on it.

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« Reply #98 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:03 pm »
Any idea when the servo amps will be available for these new sub's??

Thx

Paul

Danny Richie

« Reply #99 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:11 pm »
All of the woofers arrived yesterday. So we are now shipping out all pre-orders.

The current Rythmik servo amps can be ordered right now from Rythmik Audio: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/contact.html

They are $249 each and shipping is $21 each in the US.

Once the new servo amps become available I will make them available for order from out web site.