Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
Re: Best sounding subs on the market? Could be...
« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2007, 03:02 pm »
Rythmik,

I have a Visaton B200 wide range 8" driver that I am using on an open baffle.
In some ways this driver is very good, but it has a rising frequency response that most people feel needs some kind of filter on it.
I don't have a filter on mine, simply because I have not got around to implementing one.  I definitely think it needs one though.
However, I feel this is the wrong approach, and what I really would like is a driver like the B200 but that does not require a filter.

Have you given any consideration to building a driver for open baffle use using this servo technology that works from say 150Hz on up?

I do have plan to try servo for midrange drivers. But I need to build the drivers first, and for now the T/S parameters are definitely for sealed/vented enclosures.  I need try these first to see if we can benefit from the servo technology at all. If it does work, it will be active xover with frequency contouring as passive filters and active filters work very differently, and then I can try OB.  BTW, I heard Danny's OB7 in his room. It was very neutral, no particular emphasis on any frequency band.

Doug,
Unfortunately, I am not good at drawing plans. Danny may need to help me here. 

Brian

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2007, 03:46 pm by rythmik »

audioferret

« Reply #41 on: 5 Dec 2007, 07:09 pm »
Hi Brian,
Can you comment on the use of RDES or other types of EQ with your servo subs?

..I can.  I built a Sealed Sub from Brian and I am always grinning from ear-to-ear when listening to it at home.  The opening heartbeat from Pink Floyd DSOTM is freaking monsterous on this sub.  Of course, now that I am in Iraq, I am seriously tempted to get him to ship a kit out here.  The SEEBEES have a nice woodworking area I could throw a sub together in pretty readily for the Post theater (our BOSE system crapped out - go figure)

I also use RDES.  BEFORE RDES, I actually had a room a few room mode peaks, but otherwise, it was almost flat to +/- 5db with the only serious PEAK at 16 HZ!!!  After RDES, I am flat to +/- 3dB from 16-120 Hz.  You just can't beat that.

Christof

« Reply #42 on: 12 Dec 2007, 02:50 am »
Danny

Do you have a measurement of the outside diameter of the 12" driver in your first post?  Also the volume displacement numbers for the driver. Trying to establish rough dimensions for Robs sub array.

Thanks
Chris

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2007, 11:40 pm by Christof »

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 12 Dec 2007, 03:18 pm »
The outside diameter is 12 and 9/16".

You can down fire it as well if you like.

TomS

« Reply #44 on: 12 Dec 2007, 08:41 pm »
Just wanted to say THANKS to Danny for all his help with Christof and my sub project.  Danny has been VERY generous with his time and knowledge.

Thanks!  :thumb:
I have a feeling I'll be able to feel these babies at my house 10 miles away  :lol:

TomS

« Reply #45 on: 12 Dec 2007, 09:17 pm »
I'll warn my friend and your neighbor when I see him tomorrow.  Any damage over there is on YOU!

nodiak

« Reply #46 on: 16 Dec 2007, 09:01 pm »
I use one of Brians 12" Rythmik servo subs with OB mains. In my smallish room the Rythmik sub has cleaner output than an ob bass unit I tried (high Q~ .9), and far deeper response. The subs bass detail keeps up with the ob's easily. So this effort between Danny and Brian is exciting as the OB sub system will surely improve on what I'm using, (which is already totally satisfying).

Don
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2007, 10:50 pm by nodiak »

TomS

« Reply #47 on: 16 Dec 2007, 11:51 pm »
After spending a few weeks with four 15" OB woofers (CS2's), I'd really like to see and hear what an OB sub design would look like with these amps. 

Any design details and drawings of this coming soon?

Tom

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 17 Dec 2007, 02:13 am »
All you need is a baffle to mount them on. An H frame or W style frame might work really well too.

nodiak

« Reply #49 on: 17 Dec 2007, 07:58 pm »
Brian or Danny, felt the need to ask - can I use my existing Rythmik A370 amp with the upcoming OB driver? Might need modification? Or just need the new amp?
Thanks, Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #50 on: 18 Dec 2007, 01:42 am »
Brian or Danny, felt the need to ask - can I use my existing Rythmik A370 amp with the upcoming OB driver? Might need modification? Or just need the new amp?

I believe there are no issues there. It should work just fine. In fact the older style amp worked great when we were testing prototype woofers.

The new amps will have some really nice added features that new users will really like, but the servo controller section is still the same as far as I know.

nodiak

« Reply #51 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:00 am »
Thanks Danny, should be good news for me.
Will keep up with these sub developments, and your soon to be 20-20,000 hz ob's!
Don

nodiak

« Reply #52 on: 25 Dec 2007, 01:44 am »
Also, does the high q/ob driver have same f3 depth as the ones for boxes? Does it require 2 or more to equal their power handling?
I can see me going from my single Rythmik to a pair of these new ones. Either sealed (nice smallboxes) or ob for possibly better sq. But not sure about ob ones if requires 2 or more for power handling.
Like the idea of higher xo (up to 160) being possible, real versatile and help keep the mains cleaner.
Don
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2007, 01:57 am by nodiak »

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 25 Dec 2007, 01:55 am »
The higher 16 ohm impedance of the free air subs was so that 2 or 3 units could be run off of one plate amp if needed to get the SPL levels up. They work really well in an infinite baffle as well.

nodiak

« Reply #54 on: 25 Dec 2007, 09:30 pm »
Sorry, I see you folks already explained that.
I can't do IB, but multple driver, stereo OB's are possible. If I kept them below ~70 hz, then do you think mounting the 2 or 3 sub drivers with each on a side of a U box would be ok wrt phase/etc. ? Would like to have the option of smaller/shorter unit than having drivers stacked on same baffle. ( EX. - 15"w x 15"h x 20"d, with a driver on front and each side.)
I realize there are resonance issues with a U box, so ignoring that (big important) issue for now, just wondering if this type of idea is one of the considerations you've had in designing the drivers. If I used 2 drivers per side would try with an L shape to help avoid resonances. But it would all be up to experimenting...This may be getting more into design then can talk about here, gotta do it and see/hear surely.
The reason for my concern is I might want to position the stereo subs under mains, for a tidier speaker system. Stacked sw drivers would be too tall. I have a narrow but long room (12 x 26.5), it would be nice to get subs away from walls.
Don
Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 26 Dec 2007, 08:50 pm »
I would really avoid a U shaped box with drivers mounted to the outside. For one the resonance problem will be pretty sever.

You could build a box similar to the Linkwitz Orion with the woofers staggered on a W shaped center section. This will keep the height down some.

As a further update the drivers should be here around Jan. 20th.

nodiak

« Reply #56 on: 26 Dec 2007, 09:47 pm »
Found the Linkwitz W frame, that would work fine. Thanks Danny.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #57 on: 26 Dec 2007, 10:19 pm »
Could someone tell us if the new sub amps are going to have the high level inputs referenced to ground? I would like the option of going high level to these but some switching amp topoligies (like the tripaths and ice modules) will not tolerate that. 

-Thanks.
Tony

rythmik

• Industry Participant
    • Rythmik Audio
« Reply #58 on: 31 Dec 2007, 03:32 am »

Our amps are class A/B, so it is not bridged. You are ok to use the speaker level input.

Brian

Rythmik Audio

ewarren

« Reply #59 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:19 pm »
Hey Danny and Brian,  I was wondering if there was any news on the new woofers and plate amps