Class D versus the rest

Folsom

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #580 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:11 am »
I don't give two shits if an amp has 90% distortion, if I prefer it, I prefer it. Distortion is an indicator of potential sound, not a determiner of sound.

It's like obesity, it means you could have heart disease, but it's not for sure.

OzarkTom

« Reply #581 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:12 am »
Are you guys plugging the Crown straight into the wall?

I am.

wushuliu

« Reply #582 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:21 am »
I don't give two shits if an amp has 90% distortion, if I prefer it, I prefer it. Distortion is an indicator of potential sound, not a determiner of sound.

It's like obesity, it means you could have heart disease, but it's not for sure.

:o

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #583 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:36 am »

The edge and noise that can plague some D amps seems to be completely absent.

You nailed it there... :lol:
if it wasnt for the high power you wouldnt touch this amps...
dont say bad things about the vs rest though... :o

rodge827

« Reply #584 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:38 am »
This line of Crown Digital Drive Core amps have less wattage, but have a better S/N ratio:

http://www.crownaudio.com/comtech-drivecore.html

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/CT_Dowloads/ComTech_Datasheet.pdf

They run from $1100-$2500

werd

« Reply #585 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:40 am »

Not with class D or even A/B. Especially with class D using a SMPS.  All that can go wrong with Class D shows up in the distortion and noise. Current sinking back into the PS and switching on/offs reveals itself in playback. This is why Class D generally sucked for years. 

Class A or tube driven AB seems to be a lot more forgiving. But no way on bad specs using Class D. Forget it it's poopoo.

werd

« Reply #586 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:48 am »
class D You want to get into the 120Db s/n with like .005% distortion range.

Folsom

« Reply #587 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:54 am »
There are too many counter examples to what you say. It's not a simple equation as you suggest.

You can have a very clean PSU, and higher distortion class D, yet very good sound. The distortion caused by the problematic power incoming will have a very negative effect, where as the chips for class D are not predictable this way for self distortion.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #588 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:13 am »
I am.

That is by all accounts truly amazing. I don't need more than a few watts, but Crown is calling my name.

werd

« Reply #589 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:23 am »
There are too many counter examples to what you say. It's not a simple equation as you suggest.

You can have a very clean PSU, and higher distortion class D, yet very good sound. The distortion caused by the problematic power incoming will have a very negative effect, where as the chips for class D are not predictable this way for self distortion.

Yes, it's a very simple equation. That's the beauty of Class D. Class D is great and all the great Class D amps are excellently spec'ed. Look for good specs and pick one that you like. We are there now with Class D.  You got a vendor right here on AC that puts out class D with specs like that. Marachino amps look great.

You get what you pay for.  Crown amp with shit specs that weighs 10lbs ... Cmon.  If you are going to give me .5% distortion at least weigh more than 10lbs using a beefy power toroidal.  :lol:

I am not trying to be a dick but there is no easy way with amplification. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #590 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:36 am »
werd, there's a good chance that some distortion was programmed into the amp in order to voice it like a tube amp. Harmon touts this as an achievement, they have 5 patents on the Drive Core technology. If you don't want to trust Tom and I that it's a very good amp then get one yourself and see... you should know measurements aren't everything.

It's not an "easy way" either, D amps have been around for a long time and most of them are not very good, the Crown Drive Core is the result of a lot of cash being thrown at R&D. This is one of the few good D amps available at any price.

steve f

« Reply #591 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:43 am »
This is interesting. Many well regarded SET amps run 1% THD and have much worse signal to noise ratios. A DF of 200 isn't bad either. I thought I read on the factory site that the chip front end of the Crown amps ran class AB.
I'll probably get a 1500 just to play around with it.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #592 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:46 am »
werd is right, smps are noisy... 8)

Folsom

« Reply #593 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:53 am »
Werd, my TPA3116 sounds better than Bel Canto monoblocks. Even if I didn't use any parts I have, sub $200 right now.

Sorry, but the days of cheap amplification is here... It'll still run you upwards of $600 as a product unless it's total Chinese manufacturing. Now the irony, so are the days of good power conditioning as the most fundamental part of any system, and the costs are higher than the amps by far  :lol:

I'm not sold on SMPS's. But I don't build linears everyone else does either.  It's complicated when a bunch of class D require dual rail and aux, these days.

werd

« Reply #594 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:55 am »
werd, there's a good chance that some distortion was programmed into the amp in order to voice it like a tube amp. Harmon touts this as an achievement, they have 5 patents on the Drive Core technology. If you don't want to trust Tom and I that it's a very good amp then get one yourself and see... you should know measurements aren't everything.

It's not an "easy way" either, D amps have been around for a long time and most of them are not very good, the Crown Drive Core is the result of a lot of cash being thrown at R&D. This is one of the few good D amps available at any price.

Dude there are no Class D amps with .5% distortion that are any good. I know I still owe you some words on your excellent cables but I am going to lay it flat out. Specs on class D are paramount.  The noise on those amps blow and the distortion is worse. Good sub amp maybe or PA at a shitty wedding.

I grew up with class D in my car. It's embedded in my audio psyche. Ive got the mother lode of Class D in my house atm. This is truly a great amp and shows how important specs are.

werd

« Reply #595 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:27 am »
Werd, my TPA3116 sounds better than Bel Canto monoblocks. Even if I didn't use any parts I have, sub $200 right now.

Sorry, but the days of cheap amplification is here... It'll still run you upwards of $600 as a product unless it's total Chinese manufacturing. Now the irony, so are the days of good power conditioning as the most fundamental part of any system, and the costs are higher than the amps by far  :lol:

I'm not sold on SMPS's. But I don't build linears everyone else does either.  It's complicated when a bunch of class D require dual rail and aux, these days.

No the days of cheap amps are not here. Not at all. This is a sales tactic i have seen before.  Speaker manufacturers are notorious at belittling the industry to enable a marketing campaign to spend more on speakers. The idea is sell down everything else and market the speakers as the most important part. Well I agree speakers are important but cheating out on amps, TTs or dacs is devasting to the unknowing listener that loves music enough to venture down the path of great Hi Fi

I don't buy your story. Not at all.

OzarkTom

« Reply #596 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:38 am »
No the days of cheap amps are not here. Not at all. This is a sales tactic i have seen before.  Speaker manufacturers are notorious at belittling the industry to enable a marketing campaign to spend more on speakers. The idea is sell down everything else and market the speakers as the most important part. Well I agree speakers are important but cheating out on amps, TTs or dacs is devasting to the unknowing listener that loves music enough to venture down the path of great Hi Fi

I don't buy your story. Not at all.

:scratch:

werd

« Reply #597 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:57 am »
:scratch:

Am I to assume this is the response of some body who invested in these amps?  Do not take it to heart they are still amps. Probably not bad but who cares they are cheap. What did you Expect? Entrance and acceptance into audiophile heaven for $300?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #598 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:59 am »
it's like comparing fm to cd... :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #599 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:23 am »
I don't sell the TPA3116... In fact there is no marketing for it besides DIY.

All of the engineers of high end gear will tell you design is first, before parts, and parts are the $. There's no $80 transistors in these things.