Class D versus the rest

werd

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #620 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:21 pm »
As a former dealer. I sold Classe, David Berning, NYAL Futtermans, Threshold, Bryston, Hafler, Bedini, Conrad Johnson, Spectral, Musical Fidelity, Aragon, Belles, Rowland and a few others for amps.

For speakers, I sold Celestion, KEF, Acoustat, VMPS, Spendor, Meridian, Mordaunt Short, Castle, B&W, Pro-Ac, Goetz, Rogers, and a few others.

So what would you say is a great amp and Speakers?

What was your favourite amp?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #621 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:32 pm »
werd, I for one would like to see you answer some of the questions posed by rajacat and OzarkTom. It's time you established some credentials, with all your pontificating.

werd

« Reply #622 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:02 pm »
Werd,

You like to portray yourself as an expert, dispensing wisdom to the unwashed masses.
 What are your qualifications? Were you born with perfect pitch? Do you have an EE? Have you ever built an amplifier? Do you play a musical instrument?
BTW, how's your hearing? When was the last time you had it checked?
How did you come to the conclusion that you know it all?
I checked your equipment list. Hmm... so you're into fancy and expensive wire. Did measure the specs on this boutique wire?
You paid North of $2000 for some 10' speaker cables! :lol: OTOH you won't cough up $300 to check out an amp! That must be mere pocket change to you. :P

Went looking for it and couldn't find a vendor to rent. Picked up the York vile for $10 on half price Oct. at L&M.

I got the cable used for about $500. $2k is steep but the new Synchrony2's are worth it at $2k.

I'm a master of my own ceremonies.  Don't know it all but there some basic rule of thumbs that are hard not to point out here, Like Class D needs to be low distortion and noise.  Switching distortion is brutal. It's the worst output distortion there is. If this amp is .5% all the transients are going to be fatiguing when it pulls for transient power.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #623 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:36 pm »
Back in the seventies many people assumed that the lower THD, the better / cleaner the sound. However gradually as more and more people actually listened with their ears rather than referring to specs on paper, there came enlightenment as to what truly sounded good rather than what ignorance and wishful thinking would dictate as must sound good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #624 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:59 pm »
Went looking for it and couldn't find a vendor to rent. Picked up the York vile for $10 on half price Oct. at L&M.

I got the cable used for about $500. $2k is steep but the new Synchrony2's are worth it at $2k.

I'm a master of my own ceremonies.  Don't know it all but there some basic rule of thumbs that are hard not to point out here, Like Class D needs to be low distortion and noise.  Switching distortion is brutal. It's the worst output distortion there is. If this amp is .5% all the transients are going to be fatiguing when it pulls for transient power.

Agreed that switching noise is brutal. That is why not all class"D" amps are not the same. OEM power modules are OK however a custom made power supply  can be much better implemented.  Yes more expensive however worth their weight.Then there are hybrid class "D" amps. These designs bring natural weight and soul to the party.
     There are options. Disclaimer we are dealers for Arion. If my post appears self serving please remove. Not sure if I can comment.

charles

OzarkTom

« Reply #625 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:21 pm »
What was your favourite amp?

You first, and then I will respond.

werd

« Reply #626 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:35 pm »

Agreed that switching noise is brutal. That is why not all class"D" amps are not the same. OEM power modules are OK however a custom made power supply  can be much better implemented.  Yes more expensive however worth their weight.Then there are hybrid class "D" amps. These designs bring natural weight and soul to the party.
     There are options. Disclaimer we are dealers for Arion. If my post appears self serving please remove. Not sure if I can comment.

charles

My Chapter integrated is a hybrid and it's like that. Nice toroidal powering class D.  With seriously low distortion  I guess pointing out the big elephant standing in the room isn't very popular here but oh well.

OzarkTom

« Reply #627 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:52 pm »
My Chapter integrated is a hybrid and it's like that. Nice toroidal powering class D.  With seriously low distortion  I guess pointing out the big elephant standing in the room isn't very popular here but oh well.

And speakers?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #628 on: 29 Oct 2014, 07:53 pm »
I guess pointing out the big elephant standing in the room isn't very popular here but oh well.

The only elephant is in your mind. You've stated your opinion, the people that have evaluated the amp by actually listening to it think you're wrong.

a.wayne

« Reply #629 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:20 pm »
Now Dats funny ..... :lol:

Freo-1

« Reply #630 on: 29 Oct 2014, 08:55 pm »
Maybe I should change the name of this thread to " The Class D Crown Appreciation Thread"   :lol:

werd

« Reply #631 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:05 pm »
And speakers?

What are you asking me? You list a bunch of amps and speakers and ask which ones are good. That doesn't make any sense. Good at what?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #632 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:10 pm »
Maybe I should change the name of this thread to " The Class D Crown Appreciation Thread"   :lol:

Lol, I know... and it's all my fault.  :P

OzarkTom

« Reply #633 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:39 pm »
What are you asking me? You list a bunch of amps and speakers and ask which ones are good. That doesn't make any sense. Good at what?

You said you would recommend me a great sounding pair of speakers. If the speakers are great, all well recorded recordings are going to sound great. What speakers do you use?

OzarkTom

« Reply #634 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:40 pm »

+1

werd

« Reply #635 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:42 pm »
You said you would recommend me a great sounding pair of speakers. If the speakers are great, all well recorded recordings are going to sound great. What speakers do you use?

Check out my system profile, it's up to date. 

werd

« Reply #636 on: 29 Oct 2014, 09:47 pm »

Did you put a decent fuse in it?

mr_bill

« Reply #638 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm »
So, guys - to make a long story short, what are you recommending?
Stereo Crown XLS 2000 or 2500
Or
Mono Crown XLS 1500s?

.....and the Crown(s) is better than Job or NCore?

I'm buying an amp and will try what's best on my Maggie 3.7s.
Thanks.

OzarkTom

« Reply #639 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm »
On my Zellatons, the Crown is my favorite.. I would worry about the Job having enough power for your Maggie's. Crown 1500 puts out 525 Wpc into 4 ohms, that should work. Buy one and if you like it, buy a second. I am trying the high-pass filter this weekend to see if that improves the highs. Bi-amping your Maggie's just might sound the best.

Ncores never worked at my place, but I am sure they are very close.