Class D versus the rest

Freo-1

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #520 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:15 pm »
Something is not right here.  If the volume knob on the Crown is only at 9 o'clock, then it can only output a fraction of it's rated power.   Kinda defeats the purpose of a high powered amp, does it not?

roscoeiii

« Reply #521 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:43 pm »
Something is not right here.  If the volume knob on the Crown is only at 9 o'clock, then it can only output a fraction of it's rated power.   Kinda defeats the purpose of a high powered amp, does it not?

I am hardly a technical genius, but I believe that they are for adjusting gain, rather than being treated volume controls. Not sure what this means technically in terms of power delivery. But gain structure is an important component to a system, and you also see gain controls on other amps like the John Curl designed A21.

Hopefully someone more technically competent can elaborate on whether there is something to what I am saying, or if I've got this all wrong.

Freo-1

« Reply #522 on: 27 Oct 2014, 08:45 pm »
Sure, but if you cut back the gain that much, it will restrict the max output power. 

a.wayne

« Reply #523 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm »

No the controls are for input sensitivity only ......

OzarkTom

« Reply #524 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:42 pm »
If you want to buy new, the 1500 at Amazon is $336.83 and probably the best deal.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HZV2JS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am betting the 1500 will probably sound the best of the bunch because of the lower power rating. I have decided to send this 2000 back to the Ebay seller because he improperly packed the amp and bent one of the side panels sticking out the back. If he only used the amp once, he must have hauled it around in the back of his truck for a long time, marks and scratches everywhere. So I am buying 2-1500's, one this month and one for Christmas.

OzarkTom

« Reply #525 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:50 pm »
Can anyone tell me how these crown amps compare with Ncores?  Interesting option to add 5 channel capability to my home theater.  3 more nc400 is a bit more than I can swing anytime soon.

Both are very neutral sounding, so go with the Crowns. You can always match the volume of the Ncores with the Crowns because of the gain controls on the Crowns. Of course hook the Ncores to your main spaeakers and Crowns to your others. You will never miss anything, and I would go with the 1000's for the home theater. For around 400 bucks or less on Ebay, you will have your system going full speed.

Freo-1

« Reply #526 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:53 pm »
No the controls are for input sensitivity only ......

It does not read this way.  It seems like if you input a 1V signal, and this runs through the attenuator at 9 o'clock, then it becomes a .25 volt signal, which limits the output power.

OzarkTom

« Reply #527 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:56 pm »
I had been following the TPA 3116 thread and a couple of weeks ago, Wushuliu apprised me of this great thread. Thanks Wushuliu  8)

I'm seeking something that might fit well with Fritz speakers.  They  are rated around 87 db I was told they like a "high current" amplifier.
DaveC113, your positive comment on the Crown is really striking considering the level of gear you have and the comparison to an SET.
And, Ozark, since you've been "playing around" with a host of non-traditional amps for quite a while, you know the "competition."

So, for anyone who cares to chime in, please, I am wondering how you think this amplifier would fit with Fritz speakers. I'm particularly interested in knowing how this amp sounds at "moderate" volumes. Also, what might you guys suggest for a cost effective pre-amp? One input/output is fine.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge.

I also have a $9K SET amp sitting here, definitely buy the Crown. Itube is also a great sounding Pre and sometimes those go for $200 used, $300 new.

Freo-1

« Reply #528 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:02 pm »
I also have a $9K SET amp sitting here, definitely buy the Crown. Itube is also a great sounding Pre and sometimes those go for $200 used, $300 new.

Tom, how does it compare to the TBI?

OzarkTom

« Reply #529 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:21 pm »

Tom, how does it compare to the TBI?

More open, more detailed, clearer, and lots more bass.

roscoeiii

« Reply #530 on: 28 Oct 2014, 01:48 am »

More open, more detailed, clearer, and lots more bass.

:o :o :o

Any areas in which you prefer the TBI sound? Or that someone with different tastes might prefer it? I guess I am asking whether we are talking warm vs analytical here?

Odal3

« Reply #531 on: 28 Oct 2014, 02:59 am »
I have been looking into one of the Crowns XLS for a while and I plan to get the 1500 later this year (unless you all steal away the used ebay finds). I saw some comments that people should just use the XLS 1000 so I just wanted to add that a lot of people at the HT forums complained about the noise floor of the xls 1000 - especially with speakers with high sensitivity. The 1500, 2000 or 2500 seems to be the recommended options, while the 1000 was still considered good but mainly for subwoofer duty.

If you're missing high level inputs (for subs usage), also check out Ed Schilling's recommendation to convert a RCA cable into high level inputs via a 600 ohm resistor to feed the crown xls:

"take a cheap set of ICs and cut the end off a couple inches from RCA. Start with a 5k to be safe..... hook the resistor to the lead going to the center pin. Attach some speaker wire to resistor and the lead going to the shield. This end hooks to the power amp. RCA goes into the XLS. To run the xls in mono use a "Y" to combine the channels and switch it to mono and be sure to use the proper speaker connection as described in the manual. I am using a 600 ohm resistor but you should try a higher value first....the higher the value you can use and still have enough gain in the xls the better. 1/2 watt is fine. WARNING!!!!!!!  Do not use this type connection with a digital amp or any amp that the speaker grounds can not take being hooked together!!!!!! "

a.wayne

« Reply #532 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:29 am »

It does not read this way.  It seems like if you input a 1V signal, and this runs through the attenuator at 9 o'clock, then it becomes a .25 volt signal, which limits the output power.

Correct , thats defined as input sensitivity , you will now have to increase the input drive to reach full power.. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #533 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:57 pm »
This is associated with "gain staging" which is not so easy to wrap your head around and is often incorrectly implemented. Worth studying. Googling uncovers a wealth of information on this.

roscoeiii

« Reply #534 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:13 pm »

Correct , thats defined as input sensitivity , you will now have to increase the input drive to reach full power.. 
This is associated with "gain staging" which is not so easy to wrap your head around and is often incorrectly implemented. Worth studying. Googling uncovers a wealth of information on this.

So to be clear, amp can still reach full power with sufficient voltage with the gain adjustments dialed down?

a.wayne

« Reply #535 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:18 pm »
Yes .............

Freo-1

« Reply #536 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:18 pm »
So to be clear, amp can still reach full power with sufficient voltage with the gain adjustments dialed down?

The short answer is, no. The high powered Class D amp is a low to moderate powered amp at a 9 o'clock setting.  Again, in the example given, a 1 volt setting is cut down to .25 volts, which means that the amp will not reach full output power. 

a.wayne

« Reply #537 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:19 pm »
 Hillarious .... :lol:

Freo-1

« Reply #538 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:21 pm »
Yep.  I think we are getting wrapped up in semantics.   

You had it right in the previous post.   :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #539 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:46 pm »
Hillarious .... :lol:

Huh? Not clear on what is hilarious.  :scratch: