Class D versus the rest

Rclark

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #80 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:54 pm »
Don't lump all of us under the "bombastic stuff" umbrella.  I think the majority of us have been measured in our responses and views.

George

I wasn't speaking of you, of course.

Some others, after listening, have said some pretty bold stuff, which tends to make sense with everything known so far.

And by bombastic I mean, wow, anything said about a $1500 set of amps that takes on and matches what's been shown, just that fact alone is pretty heady stuff.

medium jim

« Reply #81 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:15 pm »
Rclark:

Your opinion about them means nothing and only diffuses from those who actually have heard them.  Trust me, we all can read for ourselves what others are saying and what Bruno has for that matter.  Then you try to bully anyone who dares to post an opposing point of view.  Worse yet, you become belligerent and insulting.  Not very civil.

Jim

sts9fan

« Reply #82 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:20 pm »
Did you know if you listen to Ncore and go back to other amps your ears will explode!!

fredgarvin

« Reply #83 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:20 pm »
I wasn't speaking of you, of course.

Some others, after listening, have said some pretty bold stuff, which tends to make sense with everything known so far.

And by bombastic I mean, wow, anything said about a $1500 set of amps that takes on and matches what's been shown, just that fact alone is pretty heady stuff.

Definition of 'Bombastic' :  pompous, grandiloquent.

synonyms:    balderdash, big talking, flowery, full of hot air, inflated, overblown, loud-mouthed.

Just to clear up any misunderstandings.

Rclark

« Reply #84 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:37 pm »
Rclark:

Your opinion about them means nothing and only diffuses from those who actually have heard them.  Trust me, we all can read for ourselves what others are saying and what Bruno has for that matter.  Then you try to bully anyone who dares to post an opposing point of view.  Worse yet, you become belligerent and insulting.  Not very civil.

Jim

That is an outright lie.

I am allowed to post corrections, FACTS.

I think you're the belligerent one, coming into the topic with hardened ignorance, telling everyone how it is, and how it will never be.

Goes both ways, uh in case you weren't aware.

sts9fan

« Reply #85 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:41 pm »
Rclark: what do you think makes Ncore topology better the ICE?

TomS

« Reply #86 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:43 pm »
Ok, friends and gerbils, I guess I'll have to up my bet to 100 posts. Nice work. This could have been a good topic. Why do you make it so hard on volunteer moderators?

Tick tick tick ...

Rclark

« Reply #87 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:48 pm »
Rclark: what do you think makes Ncore topology better the ICE?

iCE is a bit long in the tooth right? I've also never seen anyone compare ICE to the best of the best and come out favorably every time. Also, comparisons to Ncore have already been made in Ncore's favor, with emphasis.

sts9fan

« Reply #88 on: 27 Apr 2012, 08:52 pm »
ICE has evolved. What do YOU think are the important differences between ICE and NSnore? Why is it a "game changer"?

Rclark

« Reply #89 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:05 pm »
I dont have an opinion on ICE power but also my interest was never piqued. I did research them but found plenty of people who didnt like them. If they've evolved, awesome. There will be competitors, but Ncore is the first to beat the best, it's a tipping point.

For further info, please see the 350 page and growing ncore thread, plenty of comparisons between the two.

medium jim

« Reply #90 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:39 pm »
That is an outright lie.

I am allowed to post corrections, FACTS.

I think you're the belligerent one, coming into the topic with hardened ignorance, telling everyone how it is, and how it will never be.
Goes both ways, uh in case you weren't aware.

I think you just confirmed what I posted. Btw, there is a growing throng that is tired of your prattlings regarding Ncores.  Please let those with 1st hand experience with them tell us about them.

Jim
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2012, 12:58 am by medium jim »

jackman

« Reply #91 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:42 pm »
I've found their impressions valuable and I greatly appreciated them. I am not trying to bully you...in fact, I feel like you're the bully here. I just want info about the amps. When you provide it, I am appreciative. When you don't, I am not appreciative. I am checking these threads often and have found that I am getting annoyed to find threads continually getting off topic.

We need an "ignore" function on this site so people can politely choose to ignore complete idiots like RClark.  I've been a member of this site for a long time but don't recall anyone as irritating as RClark. 

We need an ignore feature on this site so people can tune that clown out.  Enthusiasm is one thing but he seems to combine it with a healthy dose of douche-baggery.  That's a bad combo...like laxitaves and sleeping pills. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #92 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:03 pm »
I have read roughly 20 glowing reports from people that have actually listened to the ncores. In fact, I have yet to read a single one that was less than glowing....not even one that was lukewarm. That tells me there is substance here....

All I have said is have an open mind and don't be judgmental simply because of past experiences with class d technology. Like it or not, there are more class d amps produced today than any other type. One can hardly call the technology new....Some people can't break old habits....

One always has the simple choice to listen before forming opinions. Or just simply move over and get out of the way. No one is forcing anyone to follow this thread....

Have you heard them?

I didn't know this was a Ncore thread also.

Freo-1

« Reply #93 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:05 pm »
This thread is starting to go off the rails. 
The discussion is starting to remind me of the Bob Carver hype when he claimed to emulate expensive tube amps from a solid state unit by loading the power supply (switching rails).  While it was a neat engineering trick, it certainly did not sound like a tube amp.

This seems to be similar.  While I’m sure the Ncore amps sound pretty good, at the end of the day, it’s still a switching amp (that’s how it works).  Still have not seen any explanations on how the amp overcomes the physics of switching artifacts.  I suspect that it has not overcome the switching artifacts entirely, and (in fact) may not have overcome them.

As earlier stated, it took 20 to 30 years to get conventional solid state amps to the point they were considered on a par with the best tube amps.  People still argue about Class A vs. Class AB, where there is almost no switching compared to a switching amp, and no artifacts to deal with.

cujobob

« Reply #94 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm »
This thread is starting to go off the rails. 
The discussion is starting to remind me of the Bob Carver hype when he claimed to emulate expensive tube amps from a solid state unit by loading the power supply (switching rails).  While it was a neat engineering trick, it certainly did not sound like a tube amp.

This seems to be similar.  While I’m sure the Ncore amps sound pretty good, at the end of the day, it’s still a switching amp (that’s how it works).  Still have not seen any explanations on how the amp overcomes the physics of switching artifacts.  I suspect that it has not overcome the switching artifacts entirely, and (in fact) may not have overcome them.

As earlier stated, it took 20 to 30 years to get conventional solid state amps to the point they were considered on a par with the best tube amps.  People still argue about Class A vs. Class AB, where there is almost no switching compared to a switching amp, and no artifacts to deal with.

I chose my AB chipamp solely because of it's low crossover distortion and it sounds fantastic on my efficient speakers. Class A is not perfect, no amplifier class is...that's why there are options. Money is the biggest factor in design evolution. Class D, because of it's low cost and efficient energy use, will evolve as far as the technology will allow because it has far more uses.

Just because it sounded poor in a lot of previous implementations does not mean it could not improve. Digital Audio Company and Class D (isn't that the company name?) have been putting out great sounding amplifiers for a couple of years now. The DAC Cherry amps have received very favorable reviews, based on that, why can't you believe NCore could sound even better? It might not, I don't know. There's no reason to believe it has to be worse.

There are already a couple of fanboys it seems, but don't be in the opposite boat just because. I'm intrigued by the NCore amps, but around $2,000 for a somewhat-DIY amplifier is sort of pricey.

Freo-1

« Reply #95 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm »
I chose my AB chipamp solely because of it's low crossover distortion and it sounds fantastic on my efficient speakers. Class A is not perfect, no amplifier class is...that's why there are options. Money is the biggest factor in design evolution. Class D, because of it's low cost and efficient energy use, will evolve as far as the technology will allow because it has far more uses.

Just because it sounded poor in a lot of previous implementations does not mean it could not improve. Digital Audio Company and Class D (isn't that the company name?) have been putting out great sounding amplifiers for a couple of years now. The DAC Cherry amps have received very favorable reviews, based on that, why can't you believe NCore could sound even better? It might not, I don't know. There's no reason to believe it has to be worse.

There are already a couple of fanboys it seems, but don't be in the opposite boat just because. I'm intrigued by the NCore amps, but around $2,000 for a somewhat-DIY amplifier is sort of pricey.

I am skeptical about class D amps for a number of reasons:

1.  The physics involved in its principal of operation ensures that there a lot of artifacts that need to be overcome.  There is quite a bit of data out there about their limitations, but nothing of substance about how these various artifacts have been addressed/overcome. 

2.  Efficient power has nothing to do with actual sound reproduction.  Personally, could care less about efficient amplification.  All I care about is how it sounds.  To date, Class A amps (from a well respected designer who knows what they are doing) provides the best sound, with the least amount of artifacts.  Granted, the speakers need to support the amp’s output power.  Certainly, many of the fine speakers out there that have lower SPL levels will only sound good with higher power.

3.  I’ve listened to a lot of switching amps, and yes, they are incrementally are improving, Having said that, they are not yet (to me) nearly as accurate or clear sounding as the best conventional solid state or tube amps.  The speakers used play into how much of a difference one would pick up.

So, as with anything, agree that one needs to keep an open mind.  However, to date, switching amps have not been able overcome their limitations, which are more significant then more conventional amps.  There certainly is nothing posted by the AES stating how this is achieved.

cujobob

« Reply #96 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:48 pm »
Have you heard the Class D kits or the DAC amps yet? I don't believe the kits are supposed to sound as good as great Class A amps, but it seems they perform at a tremendous level for the dollar/watt ratio.

I've read some good things in the past about switching amps that produced good sound when a lot of attention was paid to the power supply. But since most of these amps are fairly cheap, the power supplies are not well executed.

sts9fan

« Reply #97 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:54 pm »
There will be competitors, but Ncore is the first to beat the best, it's a tipping point.

You got to be kidding me. Did you really write that BEFORE trying the amps?  Have you placed an order? What is the best?
I bet these amps will go great with Emerald Physics speakers.  :lol:

Freo-1

« Reply #98 on: 27 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm »
Have you heard the Class D kits or the DAC amps yet? I don't believe the kits are supposed to sound as good as great Class A amps, but it seems they perform at a tremendous level for the dollar/watt ratio.

I've read some good things in the past about switching amps that produced good sound when a lot of attention was paid to the power supply. But since most of these amps are fairly cheap, the power supplies are not well executed.

I’ve heard quite a few iterations of class D amps in various forms. 

Agree with you about power supplies.  A linear power supply for switching amps certainly does help.  Also agree about the dollars/watt.  If one has low SPL speakers, then yes, switching amps do indeed provide good power at a reasonable price. 

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a bit biased toward Class A amps.  I own a few amps, and they are all Class A units.  (However, I am making a pair of 1625 monoblocks that will be class AB).

cab

« Reply #99 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:54 am »

I am skeptical about class D amps for a number of reasons:

1.  The physics involved in its principal of operation ensures that there a lot of artifacts that need to be overcome.  There is quite a bit of data out there about their limitations, but nothing of substance about how these various artifacts have been addressed/overcome. 

2.  Efficient power has nothing to do with actual sound reproduction.  Personally, could care less about efficient amplification.  All I care about is how it sounds.  To date, Class A amps (from a well respected designer who knows what they are doing) provides the best sound, with the least amount of artifacts.  Granted, the speakers need to support the amp’s output power.  Certainly, many of the fine speakers out there that have lower SPL levels will only sound good with higher power.

3.  I’ve listened to a lot of switching amps, and yes, they are incrementally are improving, Having said that, they are not yet (to me) nearly as accurate or clear sounding as the best conventional solid state or tube amps.  The speakers used play into how much of a difference one would pick up.

So, as with anything, agree that one needs to keep an open mind.  However, to date, switching amps have not been able overcome their limitations, which are more significant then more conventional amps.  There certainly is nothing posted by the AES stating how this is achieved.

.....A linear power supply for switching amps certainly does help.

What are "artifacts"?

Have you looked at the distortion levels and other specs of the Ncore? Have you compared them to other highly regarded amps? Have you read what people with many different high end amps are reporting? Have you listened to Ncore?

If not, you have no basis to judge. Your negativity is based on nothing more than past experience and without any first hand knowledge of the Ncore product, you are no different than the "cheerleaders", you are just sitting on the other side of the field....

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone not liking a particular product, for whatever reason, as long as it is based on something other than preconceptions, prejudices, and/or biases.