What is your latest acquisition?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: What is your latest acquisition?
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:46 am »
Poor Dave.... he doesn't have much choice left, does he?

You know what... forget where it's made... look at the company behind it... do they offer a reasonable warranty and do they have an unquestionable customer service.... do they have local reps or do you have to ship things across the globe....

If JBL lowers the price as a result of the Mexican outsourcing, then keep them on your short list. If not then you'll probably feel shafted ("mhhh the CEO is taking more bonus out of it while I still pay full price") and look elsewhere.

Nap.  :thumb:

Well, I will sit back and observe. Right now I'm keen on Dynaudio and somewhat with Klipsch, but that might change. Who knows? :D

And I've had it with JBL at the moment. I already have MExican made JBLs...why would I even pay $5000 for another MExican made pair?

vegasdave

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:53 am »
My boxers were made in China, and holy crap are they comfy!!!!!  :eyebrows: Sorry. Couldn't resist.

:lol:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #42 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:59 am »
New in my set: the Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.

Only one word: Awesome.

I have always liked Marantz equipment - yes, it truly is awesome Anonamemouse. Congratulations :thumb:  :drool:  :!:

Be well...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:00 am »
Well, I will sit back and observe. Right now I'm keen on Dynaudio and somewhat with Klipsch, but that might change. Who knows? :D

And I've had it with JBL at the moment. I already have MExican made JBLs...why would I even pay $5000 for another MExican made pair?

Why not look at some used JBL equipment vegasdave, stereo equipment really depreciates in a hurry  :D

Be well...

vegasdave

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:02 am »
Possibly. I will observe the used market and see what kind of resale value the JBL will command in the future.

Napalm

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jun 2010, 05:32 am »
And I've had it with JBL at the moment. I already have MExican made JBLs...

For the price they serve you well, maybe better than other more expensive products, so why bash them.... they didn't fail did they....

vegasdave

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jun 2010, 07:18 am »
For the price they serve you well, maybe better than other more expensive products, so why bash them.... they didn't fail did they....

True. I'm not bashing them.  Actually, they are pretty damn good for $900. lol.

KeithA

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jun 2010, 09:52 am »
Ok, no problem. And they are? Where did you hear this?

Review in Home Theater Magazine....

As is common today, while the CS3.7’s drivers are 100 percent designed by and proprietary to Thiel, they are manufactured in China. The CS3.7’s extruded-aluminum front baffle and the cast-aluminum top piece are also manufactured there. Thiel handcrafts the gorgeous wood cabinets and builds the speakers in its Lexington, Kentucky factory.

Keith

Napalm

« Reply #48 on: 18 Jun 2010, 06:54 pm »

As is common today, while the CS3.7’s drivers are 100 percent designed by and proprietary to Thiel, they are manufactured in China. The CS3.7’s extruded-aluminum front baffle and the cast-aluminum top piece are also manufactured there. Thiel handcrafts the gorgeous wood cabinets and builds the speakers in its Lexington, Kentucky factory.

Keith

Funny. US will become a nation of carpenters. Such a pity that the home building sector doesn't do that well...

Nap.  :roll:

vegasdave

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jun 2010, 10:31 pm »

Keith

Wow, you learn something new every day. Thanks for the info.

patrickm

« Reply #50 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:47 am »
Went to my local audio store looking for a stand.  Purchased a Target CL470 and since it has 4 shelves and I only have 3 pieces, I picked up a 4BSST2.  Funny how that worked out, at least the shelves will be full.

vegasdave

« Reply #51 on: 19 Jun 2010, 12:49 am »
Cool! How do you like your 4B?

patrickm

« Reply #52 on: 19 Jun 2010, 01:06 am »
It's excellent.  I have it hooked into my B100P/DA at the moment, this will change over time. 

vegasdave

« Reply #53 on: 19 Jun 2010, 01:08 am »
Cool. And that's a great preamp, don't change it! :D

Scottdazzle

« Reply #54 on: 19 Jun 2010, 06:20 pm »
You need one of these and a hand saw.

Thanks for the advice.  That blue box (the technical term I'm sure) came with it.  I want something I can take with me when I move so the PS Audio outlet has to go.  New in box. Now on Audiogon. 

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:37 pm »
I have always liked Marantz equipment - yes, it truly is awesome Anonamemouse. Congratulations :thumb:  :drool:  :!:

Be well...

Ken Ishasomething definitely did a great job here! I am more pleased with my new toy every day!
Thanks!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:39 pm »
My boxers were made in China, and holy crap are they comfy!!!!!

So are mine!!! 8)

srb

« Reply #57 on: 20 Jun 2010, 05:08 pm »
I live in the USA so I prefer things made in USA.  Not always possible or affordable.  I have made some buying decisions paying more for the USA made item, but I have my limits as well.

As far as quality, there are Chinese items that are crappy and there are those that are superb.  Take a look at a PrimaLuna amplifier or a Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) knife.  ISO 900x factory certification goes a long way towards insuring quality whether here or abroad.

If you've never had a pair of ISO 9002 certified boxer shorts, you're in for a treat.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #58 on: 20 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm »
Question for those who would know.

If a preamp has a bass and treble  control but is configured to only be active in the signal path once it's out of the 12 o'clock position,would that not be the best of both worlds?Especially for recordings that are less than stiller?
But again if left in the 12 o'clock position it bypasses the bass or treble control altogether.
Are there compromises in designing  such a unit?

Also could someone go into (trim) decibel control?What are the uses for such a option? I saw it on a unit where minus 6DB,0 DB,plus 6 DB and 12 DB were the options.Would it give more power for low level listening?Is that it;s purpose?

whanafi

« Reply #59 on: 20 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm »

The Squeezebox Touch, picked up on recent trip through Silicon Valley. 

Much smaller than the older Squeezebox 3 (now Classic), which surprised me a bit.  I don't intend to use it for the touch screen much (still prefer the excellent remote) but wanted the increased resolution it offers - 24/96 - over the Redbook only versions in the past (with the Transporter the exception of course).

Fired it up, and it was on my network instantly, which has always been a hallmark of the Slim Devices kit.

I am happy.