The Walking Dead

sts9fan

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #40 on: 21 Mar 2012, 06:51 pm »
No spoilers but where they left off should lead to awesomeness.

Gopher

« Reply #41 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:30 am »
kbuzz,

I love your observations!  So true.  I was thinking about the whole t dog scenario myself too.  He's the single least developed of the core characters.

In any event, I love the series and the theory behind it.  The whole post apocalyptic survivalist theme does it for me.  This is the only show I actively follow on TV. 

I do think the pace of season 2 vs. season 1 changed significantly and though the whole fortifying/re-establishing a sense of norm theme is a cool one, I don't think its what the fans want to see yet.

I will say I am motivated to start reading the comic book.

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:38 am »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449

Actually, Darabont was the one who was canned early in the filming of Season 2.  The pace has slowed considerably because the AMC insisted that budget be cut dramatically and hence more indoor scenes, less zombies, etc.

My post was from way before that - he canned the writers end of first season. We tried to give the 2nd season a go but just couldn't get over the overly drawn out drama. Even Stephen King made sure there was an overarching bogeyman to give shape to the interpersonal conflicts. Granted, we are still recovering from being screwed over by Lost. Anyhoos, I do think it's cool that the Walking Dead is so popular, definitely is a strike against those that think TV should just be mindless (get it!) entertainment.

Also, T-dog was as token as you can get. Once Dale's brother never came back ( a dropped subplot?) and Dale turned out to be more sympathetic (when last we left the show), they dropped the ball on him. They gotta fix that. My .02.

PPS - Those who like Walking Dead will also probably like Darabont's 'The Mist' based on SKing book. It's like all the drama of the WD crammed in 2hrs. Though Darabont shows his politics a bit more in it. Still, it's very much similar dynamics of WD.

mjosef

« Reply #43 on: 22 Mar 2012, 05:03 am »
That Lori(?) /wife character walks around in a self-absorbed bubble, she did the same kinda role in Prison break...as cute as she is, she just make one want to strangle her.
Tbone/Tdog should go, his token is used up, brings nutten' to the table...bring back the badass dube Rick first met up with in his hometown,  am sure he is out there somewhere, that man is a survivor.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #44 on: 22 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm »
That Lori(?) /wife character walks around in a self-absorbed bubble, she did the same kinda role in Prison break...as cute as she is, she just make one want to strangle her.

Twice:  once as Lori and then once as Zombie Lori...

D.D.

jriggy

« Reply #45 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:15 pm »
bring back the badass dube Rick first met up with in his hometown,  am sure he is out there somewhere, that man is a survivor.
The black guy with the young boy? He was my favorite character and have been wanting him back the whole time! The characters in season one were not all that developed, but he seemed complex and more developed (better actor?) that all the rest.
---------------

Folks that want total action zombie flick must remember that the producers have said many times in the interviews that this is really a character based drama during the zombie apocalypse...

They seem to be in it for long haul - taking it slow. Making one feel the exclusion and the mind games that would ensue with that, at the farm... I for one am glad that they are not trying to develop every character at the same time.

This season was a notch or two above season one and I suspect three will be again...

Rclark

« Reply #46 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:01 am »
 Just finished Episode 13 and I have to say it was the best tv series I've ever seen. I was riveted the whole way...right up to that horrible deus ex machina ending in the woods. It went from realistic drama based on comic book story, to comic book, in an instant (you know what I'm takin' bout - that incredibly random event in the middle of nowhere).

I think I just saw Fonzie jump a shark.

... Too bad!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #47 on: 3 Apr 2012, 04:59 pm »
I am reading the graphic novels and I am now up to volume 6 (out of 15).  It is very interesting to see how the TV series matches up with the novels in terms of characters, time lines, and story.  While there is a good deal of overlap, there are definitely differences.

Others comments about Season 2 being uneven are spot on.  At times you wanted things to move a little faster, but overall I still think it is one of the better shows on TV (I know that is a pretty low bar to clear).  I thought that the last few episodes from Season 2 were very good and set things up nicely for Season 3.  Look for some new characters and some major changes as Season 3 unfolds in the Fall. 

A few comments on the graphic novels...

Overall I am really enjoying them.  They are well written and illustrated, while having a nice flow to them.  There is a good mixture of character and over-arching plot development.  Parts are definitely "graphic".  While I have no issue with this, it is keeping me from reading them with my younger kids. 

George

WGH

« Reply #48 on: 18 Apr 2012, 02:54 pm »
The end of Episode 13 was very dark both in the long term outlook for the remaining characters and visually. Although I can't do anything to brighten the mood I was able to brighten and enhance a screenshot of the final scene which can be viewed here. What the heck is that?

Looking forward to Season 3.

Wayne

santacore

« Reply #49 on: 18 Apr 2012, 03:00 pm »
What the heck is that?

I believe that is a prison they are about to stumble upon.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:27 pm »
I believe that is a prison they are about to stumble upon.

Yes it is.

A good chunk of the future revolves around the prison.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:29 pm »
The end of Episode 13 was very dark both in the long term outlook for the remaining characters and visually. Although I can't do anything to brighten the mood I was able to brighten and enhance a screenshot of the final scene which can be viewed here. What the heck is that?

Looking forward to Season 3.

Wayne

Dark times are indeed coming in the future (if they closely follow the graphic novels).

I am really looking forward to seeing how much they cover in the next season.

George

acresm22

« Reply #52 on: 18 Apr 2012, 07:52 pm »
Just finished Episode 13 and I have to say it was the best tv series I've ever seen. I was riveted the whole way...right up to that horrible deus ex machina ending in the woods. It went from realistic drama based on comic book story, to comic book, in an instant (you know what I'm takin' bout - that incredibly random event in the middle of nowhere).

I completely agree, though I still love the series and can't wait for season three next fall. The armless zombies on chains was jarring to say the least.

Rclark

« Reply #53 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:11 am »
And the explanation for the chained pet zombies has just been given. No arms, no jaw, and they become...

This series has OFFICIALLY JUMPED THE SHARK, just missing Fonzie on waterskies, Walking Dead has just become a joke. Merle with his "Evil Dead" bionic knife arm...

yawn. Season 1 and 2 were great.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #54 on: 30 Oct 2012, 01:56 pm »
Sorry your won't be watching it anymore Rclark, I enjoyed it and thought the series needed to be brought back to life (excuse the pun).  It was getting bogged down and needed a direction as well as some new actors, wouldn't you agree?  Hopfully it won't turn into a Terre III or what ever that show was.

acresm22

« Reply #55 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:16 pm »
I think Season 3 is off to a great start actually. And I may be in the minority when it comes to Season 2...I thought the search for Sophia and the time spent squabbling on the farm was great TV. The barn scene at the conclusion of the first half of Season 2 was a truly jaw-dropping moment IMHO.

Rclark

« Reply #56 on: 30 Oct 2012, 09:23 pm »
I finished the episode, grumbling a little, but I think it might turn out ok. But the direction they took of saying they could be rendered "docile" is just stupid.

sts9fan

« Reply #57 on: 30 Oct 2012, 09:55 pm »
This is a show about the walking dead but if there is a way to make them docile then THAT is ridiculous?
That said, I don't think they went into it in the comic.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 30 Oct 2012, 09:56 pm »
Go read the graphic novels.

I am extremely confident that you will enjoy them more than the TV show.

George

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #59 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:24 am »
This is a show about the walking dead but if there is a way to make them docile then THAT is ridiculous?
That said, I don't think they went into it in the comic.
They barely even mentioned them in the comic (from what I remember)
If anyone enjoys the show read the novels! They are intense.

Just make sure to buy more than one volume (i can only get them online).
It was murder having to wait for the next book to come in the mail.

Havn't watched s3 yet, waiting to finish "Rise of the Govenor" which happens pre-season 3.