NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
Re: NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!
« Reply #600 on: 30 Dec 2009, 10:36 pm »
J Gale, do you have any pictures?  My imagination is having difficulty here.  It souds like you've got a great idea!

Dan

j gale

« Reply #601 on: 30 Dec 2009, 11:34 pm »
Dan, Pretty much the same as the podium1 pictures. Same kind of spine and for his so called sound bridges I used the styrofoam backer rod. Helps take the weight of the panel off of the exciters and keeps the panel from pivoting as if the narrow line of exciters was a knife edge. So spiders are not stressed too much. My 1st panels have nothing holding the edges since there is no spine. My experience tells me that there is no penalty for restricting movement somewhat at the edges. Bass has not suffered.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #602 on: 30 Dec 2009, 11:40 pm »
Dan, Pretty much the same as the podium1 pictures. Same kind of spine and for his so called sound bridges I used the styrofoam backer rod. Helps take the weight of the panel off of the exciters and keeps the panel from pivoting as if the narrow line of exciters was a knife edge. So spiders are not stressed too much. My 1st panels have nothing holding the edges since there is no spine. My experience tells me that there is no penalty for restricting movement somewhat at the edges. Bass has not suffered.

Cool,

Dan

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
« Reply #603 on: 30 Dec 2009, 11:43 pm »
I'd still like to see a picture, if possible.

Thanks

j gale

« Reply #604 on: 31 Dec 2009, 12:58 am »
Stuck a couple in my gallery don't know how to get it to show up here. Not computer literate.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #605 on: 31 Dec 2009, 04:02 am »
yust click on this in the options above the text box when you post:

here ya go:

doug s.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #606 on: 31 Dec 2009, 11:17 pm »
Clever Mt Gale.  Clever.  No one else doing something similar? :scratch:  We should be I would think.  Would it be possible to get more pictures of how the top/bottom of the spine attach.

Really got me dreaming,

Dan

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #607 on: 1 Jan 2010, 05:51 am »
I've had at least 3 instances of the tacky tape coming unglued from black gatorfoam over the past couple of days. I will monitor to see if there is a pattern, at which point I'll spring for the real 3M stuff

Those of you whove had gatorfoam panels longer than I, have you noticed the same ?

j gale

« Reply #608 on: 1 Jan 2010, 06:56 am »
Zobsky,   I have had no problem with the  3M stuff letting go. I cleaned the plastic footers on the exciters  and the areas of the panel that the tape contacts with 99% isopropanol alcohol 1st. I think that this is a necessary step. I guess that a glass cleaner would be OK too.

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #609 on: 1 Jan 2010, 07:41 am »
It seems to me that the exciters should be placed in a straight line and as close together as possible for maximum treble response and deepest bass.  Spacing the exciters out would seem to cause issues in both domains.  Anyone tried this?

Dan

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #610 on: 1 Jan 2010, 07:48 am »
Thinking out loud here, but perfectly even spacing should seem to be just as good for treble, but less good for bass--well for maximum output.  Maximum output may well be too much however.

Dan

captainjack115

« Reply #611 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:15 pm »
I've had at least 3 instances of the tacky tape coming unglued from black gatorfoam over the past couple of days. I will monitor to see if there is a pattern, at which point I'll spring for the real 3M stuff

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with the Tacky Tape. Maybe the surface on the Gatorfoam just won't take to it like the paper surface of foam core.
It was certainly not my intension to mislead anyone by my experience with Tacky Tape.

Jack

captainjack115

« Reply #612 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:24 pm »
It seems to me that the exciters should be placed in a straight line and as close together as possible for maximum treble response and deepest bass.  Spacing the exciters out would seem to cause issues in both domains.  Anyone tried this?

Dan
[/b]

I have found close spacing to be just as you say. Highs are missing "breath" however.

Jack

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #613 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:57 pm »
Nice work doug s !!!!!!! :thumb:..........we have a true ''Podium clone'' :D
hey, don't praise me for anything more than showing j gale how to post pics of his panels to the forum.  :lol:

hippo gnu ears to all,

doug s., interested lurker

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #614 on: 1 Jan 2010, 04:28 pm »
Zobsky,   I have had no problem with the  3M stuff letting go. I cleaned the plastic footers on the exciters  and the areas of the panel that the tape contacts with 99% isopropanol alcohol 1st. I think that this is a necessary step. I guess that a glass cleaner would be OK too.
WIll try this (if/when) they come loose again ( prior to mounting I cleaned the exciter with alcohol, but not the panel)

zobsky

• My Audio Blog
« Reply #615 on: 1 Jan 2010, 04:31 pm »

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with the Tacky Tape. Maybe the surface on the Gatorfoam just won't take to it like the paper surface of foam core.
It was certainly not my intension to mislead anyone by my experience with Tacky Tape.

Jack

No problem

j gale

« Reply #616 on: 2 Jan 2010, 04:58 am »
Looks like no one seems to care about my experience with the Nomex and Forex.......... :scratch:
Oh well, ....................so be it............... :icon_surprised:
I care. In fact I can hardly wait. Could it be that you have a conclusion for us? :hyper:

irishpatrick33

« Reply #617 on: 3 Jan 2010, 07:27 am »
Thanks everybody for their help. A few hours in and I am happy with the product. A little light on the bass, but that could be due to many factors (all new components, SI T-amp, smaller panels than suggested, etc.). Hopefully bass improves with break-in. If not, I live in a town house an that insures I keep the peace.

So basically I built these things for around $70. And most of the parts came from Hobby Lobby. Pretty simple build really. Well worth the time and money for somebody short on funds. Used super glue instead of the tape. And used air conditioning foam to support the bottom.

usp1

« Reply #618 on: 3 Jan 2010, 02:21 pm »
Patrick - Very nice looking and easy build. Where did you get the plastic stand and what exactly is it?

irishpatrick33

« Reply #619 on: 4 Jan 2010, 09:26 pm »
I built the stand with supplies from hobby lobby. The big strip is nothing more than balsa wood. The square rods you can find at hobby lobby, home depot, etc.. The wood ball was also found at hobby lobby. Not sure what the real purpose is for the ball, maybe a knob for a railing.

I took a spade bit and drilled two holes in each ball. Then inserted the rods and applied liberal amounts of glue. I glued an extra piece of balsa onto the balsa driver plate. I put a hole into the added piece of balsa where I inserted rod and applied liberal amounts of glue. Pretty simple actually. Added some paint and glued on a speaker terminal.

Sure it's not built to last forever. Just until I get a real job and upgrade. Soldering the drivers in series/parallel might have been the hardest/time consuming part.