BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #420 on: 11 Nov 2012, 10:44 am »
Hi Marius,

Good to hear you got to do some listening at last. Quite a dilemma, for which route to use the balanced approach. For me the choice is easy as I have the B100 which only has RCA in's. To quote a great Dutch philosopher: Each disadvantage has it's advantage. Would love to own the 28's one day.

Due to the proximity of my neighbors, I use the headphone for serious listening anyway. Does not get any closer to a live experience than that. As you are a musician, I am sure you are a better judge of that.

Have also ordered a balanced cable for the HD800 to see if this lifts the experience even further.

Enjoy!
Bob

Marius

« Reply #421 on: 11 Nov 2012, 11:06 am »
HI James,

just because it's so different from the other Bryston gear: is it correct that the XLR-ins on the back don;t have the release-levers? I noticed because my cables came out by them selves moving the BHA1...If so, why did you decide on that?  And, the little green power-led sticks out, where all the other leds are recessed within the aluminium frontpanels, is that as supposed to?
I know, the devil is in the details.

Cheers,
Marius

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #422 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm »
Marius,

Just a thought, have you tried to use the balanced outs of the BHA conneceted to the 28's?

Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #423 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:34 pm »
HI James,

just because it's so different from the other Bryston gear: is it correct that the XLR-ins on the back don;t have the release-levers? I noticed because my cables came out by them selves moving the BHA1...If so, why did you decide on that?  And, the little green power-led sticks out, where all the other leds are recessed within the aluminium frontpanels, is that as supposed to?
I know, the devil is in the details.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

We felt it was safer to use the non locking XLRs with the headphone amp as we did not want people forgetting they had headphones on and walk away and pull the BHA off the shelf or worst break the connection on the headphone cable.

Not sure on the power indicator position - I will as the engineer.

James

saisunil

« Reply #424 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:35 pm »
Thanks Marius for your impressions.

I have fond memories of 800 at shows and rather unimpressive impression of T1 and I am wondering if T1s were lacking juice, in which case this amp in balanced mode could be the ticket.

Anyone tried T1s on BHA1 and how they compared with the 800s.

I am undecided between reference in ear or over the ear system  :scratch:

Marius

« Reply #425 on: 11 Nov 2012, 02:58 pm »
Hi James,
Sure, the front xlrs seems most safe this way, but I meant the back xlr in's.

Marius
Hi Marius

We felt it was safer to use the non locking XLRs with the headphone amp as we did not want people forgetting they had headphones on and walk away and pull the BHA off the shelf or worst break the connection on the headphone cable.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #426 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:40 pm »
Hi James,
Sure, the front xlrs seems most safe this way, but I meant the back xlr in's.

Marius

We could offer locking as an option I guess.  Most of the new amplifiers do not use the locking.

james

Marius

« Reply #427 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:41 pm »
Great, would love that.
It's already in my auditorium though... How would I go about realizing that option?

Marius

We could offer locking as an option I guess.  Most of the new amplifiers do not use the locking.

james

Joker

« Reply #428 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:48 pm »

james

Hi James, picked up my BHA and HD800 yesterday and just got both hooked up. So will give both a serious workout over the coming days and will report back soon.

Given the BHA produces more heat, would I be able to leave it switched on all the time as I do with my BDA and BDP? I have enough space left / right and on top and it sits on its own shelf. Or do you rather reco to switch it off e.g. overnight?

Thanks a lot!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #429 on: 11 Nov 2012, 04:55 pm »
Hi James, picked up my BHA and HD800 yesterday and just got both hooked up. So will give both a serious workout over the coming days and will report back soon.

Given the BHA produces more heat, would I be able to leave it switched on all the time as I do with my BDA and BDP? I have enough space left / right and on top and it sits on its own shelf. Or do you rather reco to switch it off e.g. overnight?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Joker

It does run Class A with high bias so it will get warm - a lot depends on the venting around it - I would tend to turn it off but it does have thermal disconnect if it should ever get too hot..

Looking forward to your report.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #430 on: 11 Nov 2012, 11:39 pm »
Hi Marius

James

James,

...the same safety reasons here for the 875HT amp :scratch:?? it has the non locking XLRs, too...

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #431 on: 11 Nov 2012, 11:42 pm »
James,

...the same safety reasons here for the 875HT amp :scratch:?? it has the non locking XLRs, too...

al.

Correct the newer designs use the non locking connectors to prevent cable or component damage.

James

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #432 on: 11 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm »
...ok. so is Bryston going to offer them with all their amps in the future??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #433 on: 11 Nov 2012, 11:53 pm »
...ok. so is Bryston going to offer them with all their amps in the future??

al.

Yes and locking as well

James

MttBsh

« Reply #434 on: 12 Nov 2012, 12:42 am »
Thanks Marius for your impressions.

I have fond memories of 800 at shows and rather unimpressive impression of T1 and I am wondering if T1s were lacking juice, in which case this amp in balanced mode could be the ticket.

Anyone tried T1s on BHA1 and how they compared with the 800s.

I am undecided between reference in ear or over the ear system  :scratch:

I have the same question - I have the Beyerdynamic T1s and would love to pick up the BHA1 if the 2 are a good match. Somehere I read that they work really well together but would appreciate a 2nd opinion if anyone has heard the combo, thanks!

Marius

« Reply #435 on: 12 Nov 2012, 06:57 am »
And call the locking ones 'Pro' , bet they'll sell best.
Love the clicking-in locking sound of those Xlr's. the only way to be sure they're snug in place. And stay there.

Cheers Marius

Yes and locking as well

James

Marius

« Reply #436 on: 12 Nov 2012, 03:46 pm »
Nope, not yet. My options are 1) standalone with the BDA/BDP combo and hd800, or 2) incorporated into my main system, with bp26 and 28's. No need for the BHA as a full pre-amp yet. Maybe Ill give it a try just for experiments sake, but am struggling with option 2 for now...
Marius

Marius,

Just a thought, have you tried to use the balanced outs of the BHA conneceted to the 28's?

Bob

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #437 on: 12 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm »
OK

Let us know how you get on with the spliced XLR cable, think that was your plan.
Bryston makes good XLR cables I hear, perhaps they can come up with a twin XLR cable.
You can't be the only one with this issue.

Would be interested in your findings one you get to compare the BHA as a preamp to the BP26.
(am considering a 4BSST2 upgrade in the future)

Cheers,
Bob

SHV

« Reply #438 on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:10 pm »
"perhaps they can come up with a twin XLR cable.
You can't be the only one with this issue.'
Make them yourself, takes about 30".

Steve

Marius

« Reply #439 on: 13 Nov 2012, 06:55 am »
No, i cant make them myself, and in fact i dont want a splitter, because its all about the extra voltage swing, which is gone when splt.

I d hope Bryston would make a Bryston grade switch like this http://www.goldpt.com/sw2x.html

Marius

"perhaps they can come up with a twin XLR cable.
You can't be the only one with this issue.'
Make them yourself, takes about 30".

Steve