Best subwoofer deal ever!

Danny Richie

Best subwoofer deal ever!
« on: 7 Aug 2010, 09:01 pm »
Here is a deal that you just can't beat.

I am bundling our SW-12B woofer:

Specs and info are here: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=131

And our new SA-1 amp:

See amp info here: http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=156

You can't get better sound than this near this price point. In only a 1.2 cubic foot sealed box, and using this amp, and you will get a -3db down point in the mid 20's.

Order them both right now for only $199. plus shipping.

Yes, $199 for both of them.

You'll have to call GR Research to order and say that you saw it on AC. 940-592-3400

You know, a slightly smaller version of our "sand box" design would be awesome for this thing.

See sand box build thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=53675.0

Rclark

Re: Best subwoofer deal ever!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:01 am »
Dayum! That's ridiculous!

Danny, how long might you run this special?
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2010, 02:27 am by Rclark »

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:06 am »
I dont want to seem ungrateful, but wouldnt that amp run 2 of those woofers much better?   :D
(Also, what might shipping to Australia cost, if one was interested?  :)  )

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm »
I'm new and have maybe a dumb question-are these the Servo type subs?? If so then the amp will correctly drive it? I'm looking into
doing a servo sub as I like tight bass and this may be a good start. Thanks!!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2010, 12:59 pm »
I'm new and have maybe a dumb question-are these the Servo type subs??

No, they are not.

Lin

Construct

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm »
This deal even beats a dayton titanic III sub.  This driver has better specs.  The dayton tapers off at 28hz.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:42 pm »
Thanks!!

Zerogravity

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2010, 02:13 pm »
No it is not a servo sub, however in it's sealed configuration. It is a very tight, acurate and musical subwoofer, especially considering it's price point. I purchased this from GR Research about 6 months ago. Sometimes  I use it with my computer setup, no crossover as I'm running my mains directly to each amp and then to the computer, so it's running full range. I know it's not the best method to run a sub, however it will do until I get a pre with crossover or a sub that will control crossover by itself utilizing the LFE input! Operating full range from the P.C. does not seem to take away from the S.Q. of my main speakers but I use the sub at very low volume.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2010, 03:53 pm »
Danny,

If using the LFE input, does it bypass everything (including the HP filter at 20Hz), except the volume control and amplification? I haven't worked out the numbers but I would be surprised if the amp at 110 watts/8 ohms would push the woofer past xmax at really any frequency...

I agree with a poster above that using a pair of these woofers in a 2.5 cubic foot or 3 cubic foot box would be even better and only $100 more expensive. A nice ULF subwoofer for a very cheap price. Build it as a small tower, or back to back to cancel out any rocking. Maybe something that will compete with the Epik Legend? Don't know much about the quality of the woofers on the Legend though...the SW-12B looks very nice.

Anand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:58 pm »
To answer a few questions...

As mentioned already this is not a servo controlled system and does not perform in that class. However, it is not at servo price points either.

I am pretty sure the LFE by-passes all functions including the rumble filter.

And yes, adding a second sub to it would be great as two of the SW-12B woofers (8 ohms each) can easily be paralleled onto just one SA-1 amp.

I'll sweeten the deal even further and offer two SW-12B woofers and one SA-1 amp for only $279 plus shipping.

Yep, the amp and two 12" subs for only $279!

pecker

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm »
Can this woofer be used in a downward firing configuration?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:19 am »
Can this woofer be used in a downward firing configuration?

Yes.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm »
Danny, any plans to offer a similar package deal on the servo subs and amps? I'd be way tempted.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2010, 01:49 am »
Danny, any plans to offer a similar package deal on the servo subs and amps? I'd be way tempted.

I can't do much on the amps as I am having to buy them from Rythmik. I'd have to see if Brian would go in on any discounted deals to make it work.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2010, 06:40 pm »
I'd have to see if Brian would go in on any discounted deals to make it work.
  Go ahead and call him, Danny.  For a package deal, I'd probably buy 2 drivers and an amp and save some shipping cost by driving over to Brian's and picking up the amp from him :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2010, 08:04 pm »
Only sold a few. I have a LOT in stock.  :eyebrows:

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:16 pm »
I really need to more woofers to make space for a lot of new stuff coming...

You can't beat this deal!

Jeffr1966

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:20 pm »
any leads on good builders in the NE USA to assemble build one of these???  I have zero woodworking skill (or tools!)

Jeff

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:23 pm »
any leads on good builders in the NE USA to assemble build one of these???  I have zero woodworking skill (or tools!)

Jeff

I suspect you are not alone.  I wouldn't call mine or my tools zero but not much more.  If there was a nice finished box available to assemble the components there would be lots of interest.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:25 pm »
When I went to the recent Captial Audiofest - one of the exibitors is located near where I live and uses this co - http://www.rynowoodworks.com/

for cabinets