Best subwoofer deal ever!

ctviggen

Re: Best subwoofer deal ever!
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:31 pm »
I suspect you are not alone.  I wouldn't call mine or my tools zero but not much more.  If there was a nice finished box available to assemble the components there would be lots of interest.

Definitely not alone.  The deal is great, but as a person who is trying to finish a room so that the room is complete before our second child is born, I know I won't have time to make a sub box for at least 6 months if not a year.  Now, if I could just buy a box in the future and take an afternoon putting the equipment into the box, then I'd be more likely to jump on this deal.  As it is, I don't foresee having the time to make anything for a long time, and even though this is a great deal, it's a bit too much to take on right now.  And, I've made the mistake of buying stuff and letting it sit -- for years.

Phil A

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:37 pm »
I found this - I'll let the experts weigh in on whether it is something worth it

http://www.onlyfactorydirect.net/p/Yard+Sale+%7C+12%22+Single+Sealed+Car+Enclosure+%7C+12SYS/413/

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:41 pm »
and not that I need another sub, my main system has 4 subs (all Rels), I have a Sunfire, Jr. in the bedroom system and an old Phase Technology Octave 1.0 in the basement system.  The bedroom and basement systems don't see tons of use.  I even have a small 50W RCA sub behind the printer stand for the main computer.  I'm currently running 2.1 there and when I upgrade the basement receiver and shift stuff around, I'll probably wire for the surrounds to make it 4.1.  I could do it with the current receiver I have but I figure when I end up with an extra Blu-Ray player I'll make the effort.

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm »
Definitely not alone.  The deal is great, but as a person who is trying to finish a room so that the room is complete before our second child is born, I know I won't have time to make a sub box for at least 6 months if not a year.  Now, if I could just buy a box in the future and take an afternoon putting the equipment into the box, then I'd be more likely to jump on this deal.  As it is, I don't foresee having the time to make anything for a long time, and even though this is a great deal, it's a bit too much to take on right now.  And, I've made the mistake of buying stuff and letting it sit -- for years.

Having the time is definitely a big problem even if you have the skills and tools.  I just got my Squeezebox Touch this past weekend (on a 40% off deal) and ordered an upgraded power supply (from Welbourne Labs) and I opted for the assembled one due to the time thing.  I made the power cord while I'm awaiting the unit but don't want to deal with one more thing to do.  I'd rather spend the time playing with the new toy.

keenween

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:32 pm »
curious...what sort of combo of these used for lfe could keep up with 200w powered n3's?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:56 pm »
curious...what sort of combo of these used for lfe could keep up with 200w powered n3's?

One woofer per side and a SA-1 amp on each or two woofers in the middle and just one SA-1 amp driving them both will be fine.

alphaiii

« Reply #26 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:10 pm »
You can't get better sound than this near this price point. In only a 1.2 cubic foot sealed box, and using this amp, and you will get a -3db down point in the mid 20's.

Just curious... how much would using one of the 1.0 ft^3 hamper low end performance compared to the 1.2 ft^3?

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:35 pm »
Just curious... how much would using one of the 1.0 ft^3 hamper low end performance compared to the 1.2 ft^3?

Not a lot. A couple of Hz difference on the graph.

dvenardos

« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:27 pm »
How would the SW-12B in a sealed box compare with the MFW-15 driver and SA-1 amp in a sealed box?

alphaiii

« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:13 pm »
So if one were to build a bipole sub with 2 SB12 drivers on opposing faces, wired in parallel, the box volume should just be doubled, right?

Is 200W really sufficient to drive dual woofers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm »
How would the SW-12B in a sealed box compare with the MFW-15 driver and SA-1 amp in a sealed box?

Might be pretty close, but the 15 will need a larger sealed box.

So if one were to build a bipole sub with 2 SB12 drivers on opposing faces, wired in parallel, the box volume should just be doubled, right?

Is 200W really sufficient to drive dual woofers?

If they are in phase (both moving the same direction at the same time) then it cuts the box size in half.

If they oppose (move in opposite directions at the same time) then the air space is doubled.

dvenardos

« Reply #31 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:54 am »
What are the pros/cons of one way versus the other?

If they are in phase (both moving the same direction at the same time) then it cuts the box size in half.

If they oppose (move in opposite directions at the same time) then the air space is doubled.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:50 am »
What are the pros/cons of one way versus the other?

With them in phase and working together you get a smaller box, but the output levels of a single woofer.

With them out of phase the box size is double but you get twice the output.

alphaiii

« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:54 pm »
So bipole woofers (in phase) requires 1/2 the box volume compared to a single woofer?  As in 0.6 ft^3?   :scratch:

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:14 pm »
So bipole woofers (in phase) requires 1/2 the box volume compared to a single woofer?  As in 0.6 ft^3?   :scratch:

Yes, it puts twice push and pull power into one box. The problem with doing that with the SW-12B's in a sealed box is that the box isn't big enough to fit two of them back to back. You'd have to turn one the other way.

It works better on a real high Q driver that requires a lot of air space.

Rclark

« Reply #35 on: 27 Aug 2010, 08:58 am »
Would these be a solution for OB bass in H-frames, and without the need for special eq'ing?

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:23 pm »
Would these be a solution for OB bass in H-frames, and without the need for special eq'ing?

You could use a pair of them on one amp that way.

dvenardos

« Reply #37 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:50 pm »
You can also purchase the subs that used in the V2 and you have the bottom half of the V2 and so you are all set to upgrade to full OB.

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:16 pm »
You can also purchase the subs that used in the V2 and you have the bottom half of the V2 and so you are all set to upgrade to full OB.

Yeah, I might make a deal on those too. I already have the V-2's on sale.

bjarnetv

« Reply #39 on: 27 Aug 2010, 09:16 pm »
Yeah, I might make a deal on those too. I already have the V-2's on sale.
Do it! :green: