YES-"Fly From Here" -Music and recording are top notch, yes!!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I love YES, had everything they ever did at one time and gathering it back together now so I grabbed the new YES, with the new lineup and new sound and I like it a lot.

First off the cymbals and the way they are recorded sounds excellent- Zildjian cymbals are my favorite and these sound thick and heavy and ring and sound like the big chunks of metal that they are-the best recording of cymbals I've heard in a very long time.

The new lineup is tight, plays within itself and the talent absolutely shines through. Each instrument has been recorded superbly I think. Music is subjective nd some YES fans may like it , love or absolutely hate it but for me as a fan my entire live I welcome the sound the new lineup creates, they just have to keep it going and let it breathe. If they maintain the balance they have started to create with this album we are in for a real treat.....thank you music Gods for getting these guys back on track!!!!
 All I can say is YES!!!!!! :thumb:   ...sorry...

WC

Ed,

Did you get the CD? I listened to the album a few times on MOG and will probably pick it up. The album sounds good even as streamed MP3s.

eclein

• Volunteer
Yep CD from Amazon....I can't stop listening to it, got it yesterday.....every instrument is just recorded so well I think.

Wayner

I have the vinyl version (black vinyl, not the white vinyl) and it is on 200 gram. Very well recorded. I simply made a CD from the record. I posted about this LP on another thread (What vinyl have you bought recently) and I will make my statement here. This is the best new LP I've heard in years.

These old dogs are very crafted at their work. Of course, they are not even in the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Hard to get the LP right now.

Wayner

wushuliu

Agree, this is their best album in aaaaages. Kudos to them...

eclein

• Volunteer
I have the vinyl version (black vinyl, not the white vinyl) and it is on 200 gram. Very well recorded. I simply made a CD from the record. I posted about this LP on another thread (What vinyl have you bought recently) and I will make my statement here. This is the best new LP I've heard in years.

These old dogs are very crafted at their work. Of course, they are not even in the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Hard to get the LP right now.

Wayner

+1 Wayner and the reason they are not in the Hall of Fame is because they are probably the most influential progressive band on the planet and not the most commercially abused and raped band on the planet that plays some kind of music-"oh I think they called it progressive". (if that statement offends anyone ask yourself why)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
+1 Wayner and the reason they are not in the Hall of Fame is because they are probably the most influential progressive band on the planet and not the most commercially abused and raped band on the planet that plays some kind of music-"oh I think they called it progressive". (if that statement offends anyone ask yourself why)

I love Yes and think they have had some great lineups and albums over the years, but they are certainly not the most influential progressive rock band and they aren't even the best progressive rock band not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Both of those honors belong to the power trio from Canada - RUSH.

Back to the original thread topic...based on the very positive recommendations, I will buy the album and give it a shot.

George

wushuliu

I love Yes and think they have had some great lineups and albums over the years, but they are certainly not the most influential progressive rock band and they aren't even the best progressive rock band not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Both of those honors belong to the power trio from Canada - RUSH.

Back to the original thread topic...based on the very positive recommendations, I will buy the album and give it a shot.

George

Oh boy, May want to add a smiley face or somethin' in that post or people might take you seriously.

:o :? :) :D :lol: :rotflmao:

Whitese

I bought as soon as it came out and still play it quite a bit.  I find that the good effort really comes though.  They didnt phone it in.

I am glad they kept the snare drum under control..a Bit more Steve Howe, and this would be a stellar LP...but I love it as it is regardless.

It was selling quite well when it came out, I am not sure whats happening at the moment.

Wayner

Comparing Yes to Rush would be like comparing Handel (Handel's Messiah) to Ozzy Osborn. I like them all, but they are not apples and apples.

Wayner  8)

zybar

• Volunteer
Comparing Yes to Rush would be like comparing Handel (Handel's Messiah) to Ozzy Osborn. I like them all, but they are not apples and apples.

Wayner  8)

Wayner,

You can like who you like, but to say that Rush and Yes aren't both Progressive rock bands use the analogy above seems more than a little wrong to me.

If you look up the definition of progressive rock and look at who is labeled as being influential and successfully in the genre, Rush is consistently mentioned (along with Yes, Tull, Genesis, ELP, etc...).  Yes absolutely came first in the timeline, but Rush was only a few years later.

George

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
I like this album.  The new vocalist is really good! 

I'm a Yes fan but an even bigger Trevor Horn fan.  This could be called a "Buggles" reunion album since Trevor and Geoff Downes wrote most of the songs and produced the album.  That's what makes it so good IMHO.  The rest of the "Yes" men were there to play the charts put in front of them and add name recognition.

Wayner

George,

It's not the music style, but rather the content of the lyrics that sets these bands way on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Yes, these bands are all dumped into the same bin (right or wrong), but there musical structures, messages and directions are as divergent as past US foreign polices.

For me, Yes always has sent a spiritual message. Rush seems to deliver a defiant message. Handel is a hopeful message, Ozzy, the bit the head off the bat message!!!!

I think we all have so many different tastes in music, it's hard to talk about these types of musical styles. I relate my musical tastes to life experiences. As an example, the first time I heard Yes's Close to the Edge, is the first time I well...... and then I got the message.

I'm listening to the box set of Genesis 1970-1975 and it's got me all worked up right now. And it brings me right back to when I was a kid, so many, many years ago.

Damn, I wish I was 21 again.....

8)

simoon

You guys are ALMOST convincing me to listen to some samples of this.

I'm a YES fan, but I've been burned too many times over the years by people claiming that the latest YES release was as good as *fill in name of benchmark YES album here*, only to be disappointed.

There's just so much new, top notch progressive music that has been produced, and is still being produced,  during the same period of time that YES have been producing stinkers (IMO), that I haven't bothered keeping up with them.

You guys may have renewed my interest.

Andre2

(...)
I think we all have so many different tastes in music, it's hard to talk about these types of musical styles. I relate my musical tastes to life experiences. As an example, the first time I heard Yes's Close to the Edge, is the first time I well...... and then I got the message.

I'm listening to the box set of Genesis 1970-1975 and it's got me all worked up right now. And it brings me right back to when I was a kid, so many, many years ago.

8)

I came back from Brazil this Sunday night and I was listening to Close to the Edge on the plane on the way back on my iphone.  Man,  I had not listened to that song in about 5 years - what a great song!  Squire's bass at a certain point is really great as it appears offbeat, but of course in sync!

yeah, I remember going surfing in Rio in the 70's right after listening to it   :D
Damn, I wish I was 18 again!

PS: I don't have Fly from Here, but I am buying this evening!

zybar

• Volunteer
George,

It's not the music style, but rather the content of the lyrics that sets these bands way on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Yes, these bands are all dumped into the same bin (right or wrong), but there musical structures, messages and directions are as divergent as past US foreign polices.

For me, Yes always has sent a spiritual message. Rush seems to deliver a defiant message. Handel is a hopeful message, Ozzy, the bit the head off the bat message!!!!

8)

Wayner,

I totally mistook your analogy and didn't get it.  Your follow-up helped me better understand your point - thanks for taking the time to do that.

I think we all wish we could be 21 again (if only for a short period of time).

George

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Anyone know if there are any Hi-Rez files or discs available of this album?

eclein

• Volunteer
First off its all subjective, Wayner I've been digging in lately to "The Lamb..." so we are on the same plane here for a bit...very cool.

I've tried, and tried to get into RUSH and I just can't get with the music, the drummer is of course a phenom of the highest caliber but I could never get the switch to click and like RUSH. It doesn't mean I dislike the people, its not a competition, its just music I can't get with....so I wasn't thinking at all about RUSH when I said YES was the most influential........etc...etc....so I apologize... :thumb:

wushuliu

Well there are different types of influence. For instance I would say Yes had far more influence on the birth of punk -by the fact they epitomized what many people disliked about prog rock and its popularity at the time (a kid saying 'Yes sucks' get more mileage than 'Rush sucks').

I also think Yes is a group that a lot of people will just never own up to liking even though they have a copy of CTTE and Fragile tucked away some where. Same with Floyd to a lesser degree.

zybar

• Volunteer
First off its all subjective, Wayner I've been digging in lately to "The Lamb..." so we are on the same plane here for a bit...very cool.

I've tried, and tried to get into RUSH and I just can't get with the music, the drummer is of course a phenom of the highest caliber but I could never get the switch to click and like RUSH. It doesn't mean I dislike the people, its not a competition, its just music I can't get with....so I wasn't thinking at all about RUSH when I said YES was the most influential........etc...etc....so I apologize... :thumb:

No need to apologize.

We simply have differing opinions.

George