How NOT to pack an amp!!!

jackman

How NOT to pack an amp!!!
« on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:14 pm »
I just received a Crown K1 amp from a guy on eBay.  The cost was low and I've heard good things about this amp so I decided to take a chance.  Paid $50 to ship it from NYC, UPS Ground, and I can't blame UPS for this one.  Will post pictures soon but this JackASS put the amp in a box with ZERO padding or foam, just a thin plastic bag and shipped it to Chicago.   What a complete MORON. 

Can't blame UPS  for this one but I can't believe someone could be so stupid.  I'm going to test it after work tonight and send it back if it doesn't work.  Even if it does work, I'm thinking about sending it back because I believe it must have been damaged in shipment.  It's scratched up on the corners and has a nice scratch on the front. 

If it works, would you guys send it back?  I'm concerned that the damage to the internals might show up in a couple weeks.  The guys said it have 7 days to decide.  What do you think? :duh:

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2011, 10:24 pm by jackman »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: How NOT to pack an amp!!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:17 pm »
Send it back.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:18 pm »
can't fix stupid!

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm »
Thanks guys.  What a complete scumbag.  I'll post pictures because words don't do it justice.   The amp was in good shape before he shipped. it.  He literally shipped a 35lb amp with four ice cube sized foam cubes in a box that was too small, with no additional padding. 

I plugged it in and it powered up without any issue.  Going to test it just for the heck of it but will most likely send it back.  If I had known this d-bag was going to send it like this, I would not have bought it.  Because of his ignorance, I don't think I should have to pay for return shipping.   He shoud pay. 

I've sold tons of stuff through the years and have never had a problem.  I can't believe someone could be this clueless. 

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm »

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:41 pm »
That sucks. All that research on the item you wanted, hunting down that great deal, and having it shipped out by a moron. I'd return it simply because if that's how he shipped it, that's how he took care of it.

Not an AC'er I take it.

Hope you find one you can use.

bixby

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:51 pm »
send that sucker back.

Not quite as bad, I had a big vintage Yamaha preamp sent to me in a kitchen sink box with rolled up paper for packaging.  Needless to say a few things got mashed and a few things did not work.  Unfortunately it was an A'goner.  Not much recourse for me since freight charges back would have killed me.  I eventually sold it for a loss and disclosed the damage. 

I did leave appropriate feedback and last I checked people were still buying this guys crap.

I started asking folks prior to finalizing high dollar purchases how they plan to pack and whether they will use double boxes, etc.  I also tell them a story about one guy having to eat the damaged item because it was packed insufficiently.  If they balk, I don't do the deal if they are decent they will usually do a good job packing.

jaxwired

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:56 pm »
That's nothing.  I once had a pair of Kef Reference 103/3s shipped to me exactly the same way.  Guess whether they were damaged....  Now if I ever buy anything without the original box I tell the shipper how to pack.  I explain that the most important part of packing is that the item be rigidly secured with no movement in the box which is acheived with lots of peanuts or bubble wrap.  The box lid should barely close over the box stuffed with bubble wrap.   You have to spell it out or you will get burned...

BTW, it's not "scumbags" that do this it's just "retards".  There's a difference.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:59 pm »
Hi Guys, not an AC'er.  I've never had a bad transaction on this site.  The amp is well built and looks to be in working order.   No rattles or any major dents.  Maybe I got lucky but it kills me to have to pay for return shipping for such a crappy pack job.  I will need a new box because the existing box is falling apart. 

What a complete idiot!

srb

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:24 pm »
Burn me once, shame on you.  Burn me twice, shame on ....  But three times?  I don't know why it took me three times to learn my lesson, but I no longer buy anything of high value or weight on eBay.

First was a heavy motor and electronic speed control.  It worked, but the control panel was heavily scratched.  Kept it because it wasn't terribly expensive and it worked.

Second was an SLA battery with 4 or 5 plastic grocery bags as packing material!  Two top corners were dented like a 45 degree chamfer, but it worked.  I sent an email just to make the seller aware of the improper shipping, but didn't ask to return it.  4 days later a second battery appeared at my door.

Last was a powered monitor.  It was shipped in a box about 150% larger than the monitor with NO packing at all.  But because that in itself might not be enough to guarantee damage, the IEC power cord was tossed in loose so that the grounded AC plug end could repeatedly beat against the grill-less baffle and soft dome tweeter.  That one I returned.

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2011, 10:28 pm by srb »

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2011, 08:54 pm »
I feel your pain.  Many moons ago I bought a LD player (on SleezE-Bay) and it was packed really poorly.  The guy advertised another accessory (functional RF demodulator) that was not as advertised in addition to poor packing.  He shipped from a national hardware chain that was a UPS agent and after help from Kurtis Bahr and after a year I got the repair cost back (from the hardware chain HQ).  The hardware store he shipped it from (in NJ) went to go talk to him a few times and they told me they saw him home but he refused to answer the door.  So not only was the selling site no help, the guy not overly bright in the manner in which it was packed, not the most honest in the ad (or truly ignorant), and avoided all attempts to take any responsibility.  Takes all kinds.  Except for one item in the last 10+ years, the only thing I've bought are RCA caps there (and that seller was great to deal with).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2011, 09:52 pm »
Crown amps seems to be well built amps, you would open the top cover to see it is damaged inside.
If it work fine I could not return it, but if it is not work, I could return it in triple boxes and take photos of this return box.

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:00 pm »
Crown amps seems to be well built amps, you would open the top cover to see it is damaged inside.
If it work fine I could not return it, but if it is not work, I could return it in triple boxes and take photos of this return box.

***Update***

Okay, I plugged it in, hooked  it  to my system and cranked it up.  At first, I freaked a bit when I heard static coming from both speakers when I adjusted the volume but that was just a dusty volume pot on the amp.  No big deal.   After a brief warm-up period, it worked perfectly.  I've been playing bass heavy stuff and it is still very cool to the touch.  Need to take it apart and hit those pots with some contact cleaner if I keep it.  The amp has been in storage for 3 years - per the seller - and the pots need some work. 

I think the Aragon 4004 produces "bigger" sounding bass and has more power, but this amp is much smaller, lighter (half the weight) and it runs ice cool. And it fits in my cabinet!  I wouldn't use the K1 for monitors but it works well for bass and runs cool.  I am going to keep it powered up overnight and if it doesn't explode, I may keep it.  I don't have a box to ship it back and I'm traveling all week.  I'm really pissed about the unnecessary scratches and damage this amp sustained because of insufficient packaging, but I hate having to pack and ship it back at my expense. 

Don't know what is more shocking, the fact that this amp made it across the country with zero padding - zero!, UPS ground shipping, in a thin cardboard box and still works perfectly...or the fact that some guy was dumb enough to ship it in this condition and expect it to work. 

2 channel man

« Reply #13 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:14 pm »
You are right he is a moron . But you need to get over the illusion ebay is a smart place to buy hi fi :duh:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:26 pm »
If the amp works properly I'd probably keep it. More trouble to return it than it's worth.
I recently made a trade for a pair of PSB speakers with a guy on Audiogon. He packed the speakers in a box that held both speakers and nothing more.All of the grill pegs were snapped off both speakers and there was damage to a couple corners. Credit to PSB though as both speakers played fine. They were older models, built in Canada. The thing that got me was when I complained about the packing this seller said they were well packed. Another moron. I'd hate to receive an item he packed poorly.
Hopefully the amp will work for you.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm »
You are right he is a moron . But you need to get over the illusion ebay is a smart place to buy hi fi :duh:

I agree but it's pro gear, not technically HiFi.  I don't think a typical hifi amp would have survived this experience.  No doubt this thing was dropped a couple times. 

I've always wanted to try one of these amps and this one was very inexpensive.  I've got it runninig in my system with heavy bass tracks playing.  So far, so good.  Need to dig up my stereophile test cd and run some 20 hz test tones through.   The amp clips (light goes on) but only at high spl's.  The woofers are doing a dance but no smoke coming out of the amp yet. 

gprro

« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm »
Pro gear is usually built like a tank, specially older stuff. Probably fine, though doesn't excuse the packing. Heat cycle it a few times, really push it and let it completely cool, maybe with a fan on it to quicken the cool down. If nothing breaks, probably ok.

Here's a vid of Carvin beating up an amp. Wish they would have left it unedited, as it was tossed a few times, and then maybe throw it end over end a couple times on a corner, haha...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTwYN5MA_D8

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:53 pm »
I surprised as some vendors refuse to spend afew green bills in a secure box to send a equip to the buyer.
They are only in this biz for the profit :icon_twisted: the buyer are unimportant.

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:15 pm »
it only takes a few bad comments to ruin you.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2011, 11:21 pm »
Here are some pictures.  Un-doctored and not altered in any way.  I had a bad feeling so I took a picture of the box.