Interest in checking out an AQ Sorbothane mat????

Tonto Yoder

« on: 23 Apr 2004, 11:22 am »
I have an AQ mat that came with my previous TT: it's a love-hate relationship--sometimes it really makes thin-sounding LP's sound lush, but other times it makes LP's sound bloated.  I keep it and plop it on the platter now and then, but eventually find it unsatisfactory.

Dogberry's post elsewhere made me think about others trying out the mat, so I thought we could media mail it to one another fairly cheaply????
For established AC members, it'd only "cost" the ~$2.00 to ship it to the next guy. Eventually I'd like to get it back, since I can't quite bring myself to sell it.  If anyone decided he absolutely HAD to have a Sorbothane mat, he could try to find one elsewhere????

BTW, my AQ is of unknown age and has lost some of its stickiness (maybe it has just gotten dirty); whether that impacts its effectiveness/sound etc. is unknown.

Post here if interested???  I have some concern about shipping it off to a new AC member who has only been here three days and might abscond with a $50 mat, so I guess I'll have to restrict those eligible???

cryoparts

Sorbothane Mat
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2004, 01:31 pm »
Do you use a record weight/clamp?  I've found that the mat seems (IMO) to work better when used with a clamp.  I too, have a love/hate relationship with this mat, however, on tables that are not very well damped it seems to work well.

As far as the stickiness, just clean it with some water, it will become stickier again.

BTW--these pop up on ebay from time to time and usually sell for $20-30.

Have a great day!

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 05:40 pm »
I use the Michell clamp, and often the clamp/mat combo works just great
(esp. with certain LP's). Other times, it leaves me wanting something else.

I think I like the AQ mat non-sticky: since I DO change it now and then, it's easier if it doesn't stick to the platter when I want to change.  Pulling the sticky Sorbothane off a platter is like getting a Saran Wrap thong off a fat girl after she's been lyin' in the sun. :lol:

cryoparts

Sticky Sorbothane
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2004, 02:29 pm »
Yes, pulling the mat off the platter when it is sticky is akin to pulling gum out of you hair.  :D

cryoparts

Funny
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2004, 02:31 pm »
I just re-read the last line of your post.  I haf to pick myself up off of the floor.   :lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2004, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Pulling the sticky Sorbothane off a platter is like getting a Saran Wrap thong off a fat girl after she's been lyin' in the sun. :lol:

Now that is just nasty. Guess I'll have to put Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls on the TT now. :lol:

mike

gary

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2004, 10:09 pm »
Tonto-

I'd be up for trying it, PM me if you send it around for people to check out.

Thanks
Gary

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2004, 05:30 pm »
I wouldn't mind trying your AQ mat, if you feel I have enough history here. You can also check me out under the same user name at HTT, HTF, AVS and HTS.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2004, 11:03 pm »
I mailed it out to shload today (he PM'ed me privately)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=753
Gary is next and Dan is welcome to audition after that.
I put it in a LP mailer (actually inside a LP cover too) and claimed it as media mail, so it was only $1.84.

Can you PM each other for addresses??

gary

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2004, 01:18 am »
Tonto,

I'll do that. I'll probably also include a set of pandafeet when I forward it to the next person, when they eventually make it to you you can keep them for sending the mat out. I wasn't expecting much when I tried them under my turntable (clearaudio emotion, it already has spikes), boy was I surprised. and the same is true for the reviewer of a forthcoming audiorevolution.com review.

Anyway when I get the mat, I'll probably order one of Herbie's mats to compare it against. I'll certainly post the results, should be interesting.

Thanks again
Gary

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2004, 04:37 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
I mailed it out to shload today (he PM'ed me privately)
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=753
Gary is next and Dan is welcome to audition after that.
I put it in a LP mailer (actually inside a LP cover too) and claimed it as media mail, so it was only $1.84.

Can you PM each other for addresses??

Tonto,

Thanks, I'm very interested in how it will sound.  Let me know who to send it to next, or if I should send it back to you.

Gary,

Thanks for adding the Panda Feet, I'll make sure they get passed along. You have a PM with my address.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #11 on: 7 May 2004, 05:56 pm »
Gary,

Thanks for adding the Panda Feet, I'll make sure they get passed along. You have a PM with my address.

Gary,

Did you get my PM?

gary

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2004, 10:31 pm »
Just wanted to bump this up. I got the mat, and I'll probably ship it to the next person later this week along with a set of pandafeet.

Gary

beat

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2004, 04:53 pm »
Hey Tonto,
I wouldnt mind checking it out if you wouldnt mind working me into the tour somewhere.
thanks, beat

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2004, 06:13 pm »
beat,
it's OK by me.  Gary has it now, Dan is in the batter's box, so you're welcome to audition after Dan.  PM him with your address and send it back to me when you're done.

beat

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2004, 11:01 pm »
Thanks Tonto,
I PM'd him to set it up. I had the last couple of days off work and began to tell myself I would find someone else to come and complete the ducting for the coffee roaster..well, lo and behold, I went in today to find they finished it!! YaY!! So I will start roasting next week and I'll send you some brew along with your mat. I still have your addy. I'll let you know when it is on it's way.
peace, beat

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2004, 08:09 am »
Whereabouts of the mat??

gary

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2004, 12:59 pm »
Hi Tonto,

I sent it out to Dan last week along with the footers, he's in CA and I'm in NY so it should definitely make it to him by the end of this week.

Dan - did it happen to get there yet?

Gary

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2004, 04:13 pm »
Quote from: gary
Hi Tonto,

I sent it out to Dan last week along with the footers, he's in CA and I'm in NY so it should definitely make it to him by the end of this week.

Dan - did it happen to get there yet?

Gary

Good morning folks,

The mat and the Panda Feet arrived in yesterday's mail. I have some prior comittments the next couple of days, so it will be the weekend before I can start playing with them. I expect they will ship to beat by the middle of next week. I'll post when they go.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2004, 05:29 pm »
Just an update, the mat and the Pandafeet shipped to beat on Monday.