Budget Tube Pre-Amp

jlafrenz

Budget Tube Pre-Amp
« on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:09 pm »
My recent audio journey has taken me down the path of tube pre-amps. Since it is for a secondary system (and one I seem to change often as of late) budget is a concern. I am looking to pair it with a SS 2 channel amp in order to maintain the tube flavor and gain a bit more punch. I have looked at a few and just wanted to gain some input on them. They are

Music Angel "Marantz 7"
http://hi-end.on9mart.com/

Dared SL-2000 or SL-2000A
http://www.daredtube.com/mini.htm
I think I would prefer the one with the phono stage as I am in need of one and there seems to be limited functionality with the remote

Aric Audio 3.7
http://www.aricaudiosystems.com/product.sc?productId=16&categoryId=2

Jolida JD5t
http://www.jolida.com/product/tubecomponents/jd5t

I'm sure you guys will recommend some other nice budget units as usual.

Not to derail my own thread right off the bat, but do you think a tube pre and SS power amp is a good way to go opposed to a fully tubed integrated in the $5-800 range? I realize that is subjective, but would like to hear some thoughts on this a well.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2011, 09:22 pm by jlafrenz »

shadowlight

Re: Budget Tube Pre-Amp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2011, 09:23 pm »
Assuming that you are interested in things under 800 dollars or so.
If you are up to DIY you can look at the Dodd Buffer / Bottlehead and for finished versions Mapletree, Niteshade.  The other option is you can look on audiogon or in the classifieds for used ones.

The only ones that I have heard are the Mapletree 2A or 4A cannot remember which one and Niteshade Beacon 2 which went out on Audiocircle tour.

jlafrenz

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2011, 09:47 pm »
The Mapletree is a good thought. I will take a look at that one.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:45 pm »
You can get a used Rogue Metis for well under $800.  That might be the only tubed pre with headphone, phono and REMOTE within your budget...unless you go chinese.  It sounds quite good!  I've had one in my system for a couple of weeks.  Resulted in me selling off my two 'classic' pres and getting a Rogue 99.

jlafrenz

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm »
Just for clarification, I wasn't planning on spending $5-800 on the pre-amp. I was eyeballing some integrateds on the used market in that range and wanted to know if the combos I was looking at would compare. The budget for the pre needs to be significantly less.

acresm22

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:52 pm »
I'm about to put an order in for a Bottlehead Quickie. Very simple build (reportedly), and the thing had gotten good press...all for $99. Would love to hear from any AC'ers who have used or heard the Quickie.

jlafrenz

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:58 pm »
So no opinions of the ones I have listed?

Anyone have a modded Jolida JD5T and care to share their thoughts?

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2011, 04:20 pm »
I haven't looked at Tube pres in a few years, but I would highly recommend the Mapletree and have heard really good things about Niteshade's preamps, as well. I do think going separates is a better idea because you may want to change things up in the future and it allows more customization.

doorman

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2011, 04:30 pm »
http://www.transcendentsound.com
Their GG tubed pre is amazingly good.
Many online reviews.
don

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:15 pm »
In your price range, I recommend staying integrated.  Check out Jasmine Audio's offerings if you want to do the tube thing.  Alternatively, if you are VERY lucky you may happen across a Redgum integrated.  I've only seen 2 come up used for sale (RGi35 and RGi120) and I bought both immediately.

wilsynet

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:01 pm »
Before an integrated (or power amplifier) is suggested, we need to know what sort of speakers are being driven.  I know of very few tube amplifiers (integrated or otherwise) which are both budget oriented and can drive a difficult speaker load.

Regarding preamplifiers, having had quite a few through my system, my favorite bang for the buck right now are the Dodd Buffer Preamp and the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid.

The Dodd is more transparent, but the Grounded Grid has more low end punch.  Although I am reluctant to part with my Grounded Grid, I'm likely to sell mine in a few weeks when the TRL Dude arrives.  Having said that, I do entertain keeping it because it's such great value and they don't come up for sale very often.

jlafrenz

« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:17 pm »
Little Dot MKIII-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-MK-III-MKIII-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-/150641502525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2312eee93d

http://www.head-fi.org/t/309855/review-of-the-little-dot-mkiii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp

And MK IV-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-MK-IV-4-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier-Pre-Amp-/200633656951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb6b2a677

Worth looking into, thanks! *EDIT* Just noticed that it is only a single input. I need 2. I probably should have mentioned that in my original post.

Before an integrated (or power amplifier) is suggested, we need to know what sort of speakers are being driven.  I know of very few tube amplifiers (integrated or otherwise) which are both budget oriented and can drive a difficult speaker load.

Regarding preamplifiers, having had quite a few through my system, my favorite bang for the buck right now are the Dodd Buffer Preamp and the Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid.

The Dodd is more transparent, but the Grounded Grid has more low end punch.  Although I am reluctant to part with my Grounded Grid, I'm likely to sell mine in a few weeks when the TRL Dude arrives.  Having said that, I do entertain keeping it because it's such great value and they don't come up for sale very often.

I am looking for just a pre-amp at the moment, not an actual power amp.

Though not actually a tube output (tube buffered) the Grant Fidelity DAC-11 (upgraded DAC-09) has been recommended to me. Any thoughts on it or how it might stack up?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2011, 11:39 am »
I've been looking hard at the Yaqin MS-12B which also has a phono stage. It has very good reviews at Vinyl Engine. Any opinions here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MS-12B-Tube-PreAmplifier-RIAA-MS12B-New-/150666067920?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3468743259261156539

decal

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:00 pm »
What equipment will you be using the pre with? You'll get a lot more informed suggestions if you include this info. :dunno:

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2011, 02:23 pm »

I would get the Aric Audio preamp and then later add the Dodd buffer, with volume control and more tube flavor...

(IIRC, Aric Audio preamps can use all 12AT7, 12AX7, 12AZ7 and 12AY7 type tubes, which will add good tube flavor.

And the Dodd buffer can use 6H30 type tube, more tube flavor ;)....with the remote control option.)

Good luck...

sebrof

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2011, 04:15 pm »
I had a Quicksilver linestage a while back and I liked it a lot, used should be in your budget of significantly under $800. Made in USA if that matters to you.
I agree with wilsynet - There is no answer to your "Before I derail my own thread" question without knowing the speakers.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2011, 06:33 pm »
If you're willing to go used you could find a Counterpoint SA-3.1 for under $400.  The SA-7.1 would be even less.  Those should compare favorably to the newer offerings you've mentioned,  plus they have phono sections!  No remote though.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2011, 07:56 pm »
Another Redgum integrated suggestion that's easier to come by is the SONOFAGUN.  Reportedly not in the same league, but still quite good.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2011, 09:48 pm »
I have an Aric 3.7 and adjusting it's gain control is a pita. Although it has 2 outputs it's weak when driving two amps or one amp and one sub. It's cheap lap top power supply is not a good feature for a preamp that cost $400.

I've read lots of good reviews on the Yaqin MS-12B which is less expensive and has a phono stage. I can't help but believe it would be better than the Aric.