Budget Tube Pre-Amp

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: Budget Tube Pre-Amp
« Reply #40 on: 17 Oct 2011, 04:25 am »
As far as budget preamp's go, I bought a great little preamp from Blair_4@msn.com. It was very reasonable. Made by hand in the USA. Sounds very nice. It uses 12AU7's, it is very quiet and drives my system very well.

Good luck..

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2011, 07:26 am by bladesmith »

jlafrenz

« Reply #41 on: 18 Oct 2011, 12:23 am »
Got any more info on it? If you have a link that would be great so I can check it out.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:10 am »
I have no link info, all I have is his email,  blair_4@msn.com. Got an email from him yesterday and I think he has one left, it is finished in wood, instead of a metal box like mine. if you email him he will send you pics and any info you want.

good luck..

BillB

« Reply #43 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:47 am »
Are you averse to building one? You can do some amazing things for 100 bucks and some stupid crazy things for 400.

jlafrenz

« Reply #44 on: 18 Oct 2011, 03:48 am »
Are you averse to building one? You can do some amazing things for 100 bucks and some stupid crazy things for 400.

It has crossed my mind, but think I would just rather have something ready to rock right out of the box (minus any tube rolling that is).

Poultrygeist

« Reply #45 on: 18 Oct 2011, 01:02 pm »
Here is a picture of my Paramours driven by my friend's Conrad Johnson PV1/2. My friend bought the CJ for $350 but he won't sell it to me. Although the CJ is over 30 years old it destroys my Aric 3.7 and has a great sounding phono stage to boot. I'd love to find something comparable to the CJ for around $500.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #46 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:01 pm »
I'd love to find something comparable to the CJ for around $500.

Counterpoint SA-3.1.  I haven't directly compared the two but I think it would probably sound a little 'faster' than the CJ.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #47 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:05 pm »
Do you know off hand if the phono stage is a true tube output?

Yes.  The 3.1 has three tubes: one for linestage and two for phono.  The 7.1 has four tubes:  two for linestage and two for phono.

deicide67

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 18 Oct 2011, 02:23 pm »
Hi Fellas,

Here is another one like Bladesmith's preamp. $300 includes shipping in the US. Front and back are 1" solid Birch with light figuring and some spalting on the front. The sides are red Mahogany. The finish is hand rubbed danish oil. No poly or laquer. It looks very natural and makes the grain pop without giving a plasticy look. 100% point to point wired. All 1% MF resistors on the tubes.

This was a custom job for a local that backed out last minute. Completely one off piece and there is not another one like it. Been fired up for about 24 hours. Still smells like the oil :)

Please ignore my mess in the last picture :green:

Thanks,

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #49 on: 18 Oct 2011, 06:48 pm »
Here is a picture of my Paramours driven by my friend's Conrad Johnson PV1/2. My friend bought the CJ for $350 but he won't sell it to me. Although the CJ is over 30 years old it destroys my Aric 3.7 and has a great sounding phono stage to boot. I'd love to find something comparable to the CJ for around $500.

get the melos i posted prewiously from a-gon, and make your friend green w/envy.   :green:
you will have to find an outboard fono stage, tho...

doug s.