TAVES pictures

Sasha

Re: TAVES pictures
« Reply #60 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:58 am »
I checked Stereophile:
"The Rhapsody 3D has a bipolar arrangement of two 8" full-range Fostex drivers, supplemented by a Fostex supertweeter, and a servo-controlled powered subwoofer, with all the drivers in cylindrical cabinets.(...) Sold factory-direct at $15,000/pair, the Rhapsody 3D system provided for me one of the best sounds of the show."

When one realizes that cylindrical cabinets used in this setting are among the worst when it comes to create unwanted resonances (see amplitude/frequency curves -a point known since Olson-), it must be a testimony to the quality of Fostex drivers used in this design that these things can claim some awesome sound! Another example of unscientific design at $15k a pair, it's a little steep imo.
I agree on poor design choices. The sound from these at TAVES was extremely messed up, very phasey.

PRELUDE

« Reply #61 on: 8 Oct 2011, 01:20 am »
I agree on poor design choices. The sound from these at TAVES was extremely messed up, very phasey.
I was in that room and I really wanted to ask the guy and see what would be his answer but the other guy was going crazy for it and did not want to leave the guy alone.I even came back after lunch and he still was there. :duh:
I hope he was not hungry. :lol:
I just looked under stereophile,I did not know they had any thing posted yet.But for $15k please save your money.

By the way,did somebody heard the PEAK CONSULT at room 682? I did not see any PEAK CONSULT for sure.

markie

« Reply #62 on: 8 Oct 2011, 02:58 am »
By the way,did somebody heard the PEAK CONSULT at room 682? I did not see any PEAK CONSULT for sure.

According to the TAVES listing, Peak Consult would have been in the infamous AC/DC room (682) where the Spendors Harbeths were playing.  I only saw the Harbeths. 

Mark

PRELUDE

« Reply #63 on: 8 Oct 2011, 03:16 am »
According to the TAVES listing, Peak Consult would have been in the infamous AC/DC room (682) where the Spendors Harbeths were playing.  I only saw the Harbeths. 

Mark
Ok,I feel much better now but why it was not there and they listed?

markie

« Reply #64 on: 13 Oct 2011, 03:36 pm »
Just discovered the dagogo website and see that it had coverage of the TAVES event. Halfway down this page it describes in glowing terms the Bryson room.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?bShowUnpublished=&hArticle=929&PageOfArticle=1

"You can usually tell which are the better sounding rooms by the buzz generated in the hallways. I bumped into at least four people who told me that I must see the Bryston/PMC room. Four of the guys from my own audiophile group also commented that the Bryston/PMC room was the best sounding at TAVES."

Mark