TAVES pictures

canzld

Re: TAVES pictures
« Reply #20 on: 2 Oct 2011, 07:14 pm »
Thanks for the photos. Curious to know how the Monarchy room with Lenehan speakers sounded?

charles
SMA
I thought they were one of the most impressive small speaker combos on show - highly dynamic and clean, although I wasn't quite convinced as to the naturalness of the tone -speakers (LA S2) still being tweaked according to the stuff they were handing out.

headshrinker2

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:05 am »
Prelude,
Thanks for sharing the pics!  Fun to look at.  Wish I could have gone, but my wedding anniversary plans won out. 

James,
What kinds of tunes do you usually play for demo material for shows like these?  Do you stick to things you have selected.. or is there a large variety for customers to choose from? 

Also, Bryston cabling throughout your exhibit, I'm guessing?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:10 am »
Prelude,
Thanks for sharing the pics!  Fun to look at.  Wish I could have gone, but my wedding anniversary plans won out. 

James,
What kinds of tunes do you usually play for demo material for shows like these?  Do you stick to things you have selected.. or is there a large variety for customers to choose from? 

Also, Bryston cabling throughout your exhibit, I'm guessing?

Hi,

I usually try and pick 25-30 songs of differing content so people get a good overview.  I also played customer CD requests (REMEMBER CD's?).

This show I played the BDP-1 using only 44.1/16bit resolution digital files on an attached thumb-drive on the stereo setup and we used 5.1 surround material on the surround setup with the new SP3.  Bryston cables on the stereo setup.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2011, 03:06 pm »
Yesterday, I attended the 1st audio and video show in Toronto, The TAVES show. I was very impressed with the way the show was organized and executed taking direct parallels from the Montreal Audio Show.

While walking into the Bryston room , I saw James Tanner sitting in one of the audition chairs, Ipad in hand and acting as music DJ. He was selecting tunes that really show off the attributes of the line. Wow, can those Bryston amps push out a huge amount of clean and constant power.

It was good to see the Byston room was very busy and well stocked with all his best gear.

bodiezaffa

Transparent P6

SoundGame

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2011, 06:38 pm »
Folks, - SUPERB day at the show - lots and lots of people :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: And I got to meet some of the Audiocircle folks in person :D

james

James - it was good to meet you in person - even for just a brief moment.  It was also nice to have a short chat with Brian.  I finally was able to see those 28B-SST2 in action!

Enjoyed the show very much - tons to see and lots of interested people.

SoundGame

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:41 pm »
Just read this recap of the show on Soundstage Network.  Doug Schneider (saw him in a number of the rooms) has praised the show in his comments here:

"After experiencing TAVES 2011, I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction: if the organizers build on the success of this show in subsequent years, I think TAVES has the potential to become the most significant consumer-based audio/video event in North America, perhaps in as little as two or three years, and it will become a place where many companies, including the big ones, debut their latest and greatest. So next year we're bringing an entire team to TAVES! In the meantime, enjoy the galleries that showcase TAVES 2011, the start of something great."

markie

« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:13 pm »
Well I TAVED it on Sunday, the first ever AV show for this complete novice.  I don't even have a sound system to speak of, save for my Altec Lansing computer speakers.  My wife and kids were amused that I was so into it. 

I took the subway into the downtown and came out barely 30 yards from the entrance from the beautiful old King Edward Hotel where the show was held on a rainy Sunday.  The Tim Hortons which was almost kitty corner to the hotel was doing good business.  I should play tourist in my own city more.

I visited all the showrooms I thought existed, which were all on the second and sixth floors.  Bryston was on the first floor, in a large and well appointed meeting room.  I had the pleasure of briefly meeting James, who was quite engaged with others at the time.  The sound? To me, relative to the other rooms, one word sums up the sound: authority.    Presence and authority. OK, no nonsense, clarity, presence and authority. You get the idea. 

I took my little panasonic lumix camera and filmed on low resolution, averaging about 20 seconds per room.  I downloaded the videos onto my computer and made my first iMovie last night. Then I went onto Youtube this morning to download the video, which I have never done before.  I found out that since the video is over 15 minutes (it's almost 22 minutes I think) I have to get a special code from Youtube which they only send out to a cell phone in a text message. I'm still waiting for it. But when I get it I shall download the video to Youtube and let you know.  The video is pretty dark and grainy, but you can get a good idea of the room atmosphere and the music played.   

It was a pleasant surprise to me that even a little camera video can convey some of the sound qualities. For instance, the sound clarity in the Focus Audio room came through.  How much is a result of the room, and treatments, crowdedness, the music, the source, the volume level, the dac, preamp, and amplification, and speakers ... well that is beyond me.

Bryston was the first room featured on the video, simply because it was the first room I started filming in. The video proceeds exactly in the order I visited the rooms.  Hopefully, a Youtube link will follow later today...

Mark

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2011, 03:19 pm »

"The sound? To me, relative to the other rooms, one word sums up the sound: authority.    Presence and authority. OK, no nonsense, clarity, presence and authority. You get the idea." 

Mark

Greetings Mark  :D

What more can be said, excellent observation. I am very much looking forward, as are others if I may assume, to your video.

:thumb:

Be well...

markie

« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct 2011, 03:19 pm »
Youtube is testing my patience. I have yet to receive the code from them to allow longer videos. So last night I decided I would upload it anyways.  That went fine, and Youtube processed it, even giving me a url and everything.  Then three hours later it removed the video for being too long.   :nono: 

I'll do something later tonight when I have time, like splitting the video in two, so it should be ready for tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay!

Mark

SoundGame

« Reply #29 on: 5 Oct 2011, 03:25 pm »
Youtube is testing my patience. I have yet to receive the code from them to allow longer videos. So last night I decided I would upload it anyways.  That went fine, and Youtube processed it, even giving me a url and everything.  Then three hours later it removed the video for being too long.   :nono: 

I'll do something later tonight when I have time, like splitting the video in two, so it should be ready for tomorrow.  Sorry for the delay!

Mark

Looking forward to see it!

markie

« Reply #30 on: 5 Oct 2011, 06:13 pm »

Finally did it, I couldn't wait until tonight. Enjoy! (I sure did.)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrTk0RHy9Y

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LdFDxKgrrs

Mark

mr_bill

« Reply #31 on: 5 Oct 2011, 09:48 pm »
Were those Spendors or Harbeths playing the AC/DC at the end of video one?

markie

« Reply #32 on: 5 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm »
Were those Spendors or Harbeths playing the AC/DC at the end of video one?

As far as I know, they were Spendors [edit - not Splendors!]. Always I would look either at the label on the speaker itself or on a sign very close by.  Yet looking at the Spendor [edit]website just now I couldn't find one that looked like that. I looked at the Harbeth website, and it does indeed resemble this:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=compact7es3&model=Compact%207ES-3

When I look at the TAVES website however there is no mention of Harbeth. I've deduced the room was 682, and if you do a Find for 682 on this page

http://www.taveshow.com/Visitors/brands.html

you will see what products were in the room - at least, advertised to be in the room.

Hope that helps!  BTW, you may have noticed that in the first room of the next video, the room with the Vandersteen speakers and the Onda cables, you can overhear a comment about the ACDC playing next door.  (It wasn't entirely complimentary, hehe!) Interestingly, the Onda cable room, 681, makes no mention of the Vandersteen speakers they were using in the magazine. I suppose they were just using them to demonstrate what their cables could do, and no more. (They had a preamp through which they could switch cables and interconnects, and there was definitely a difference between their cable 'sounds'.)

Anyways, it is quite possible the Spendor [edit] room was playing an undocumented Harbeth, and if so I was definitely fooled. Good eyes!

Mark

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #33 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:28 am »
Thanks for the video's... 8) :thumb:

Too bad in most of the rooms the music their playing is.....so laid back. :?

Nice to hear a little AC/DC..... :rock:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:52 am »
I visited all the showrooms I thought existed, which were all on the second and sixth floors.  Bryston was on the first floor, in a large and well appointed meeting room.  I had the pleasure of briefly meeting James, who was quite engaged with others at the time.  The sound? To me, relative to the other rooms, one word sums up the sound: authority.    Presence and authority. OK, no nonsense, clarity, presence and authority. You get the idea. 

Mark
[/quote]

Hi Mark

Interesting comments on sound. I have always felt so many speakers suffer from dynamic compression and you comments about the Bryston room sound re-enforce my thoughts on that :thumb:

James
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2011, 02:28 pm by James Tanner »

markie

« Reply #35 on: 6 Oct 2011, 02:57 pm »
Thanks for the video's... 8) :thumb:

Too bad in most of the rooms the music their playing is.....so laid back. :?

Nice to hear a little AC/DC..... :rock:

You're welcome LW :D

Laid back, yes many were.  Lots of female vocals like Diana Krall.  I learned on Sunday that female vocals are relatively difficult to produce well on a speaker, and I suppose that is why?  Plus, 95 percent of the people there had a Y chromosome, hehe.

One AC/DC comment I overheard was that it was music for blasting in the car back in the day, but not great for a venue like this.  Whatever, it was a nice change imo !

Mark 

PS I was looking for you at the show, a tall guy posing over a speaker with a beer in hand, but alas ...

markie

« Reply #36 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:07 pm »
Hi Mark

Interesting comments on sound. I have always felt so many speakers suffer from dynamic compression and you comments about the Bryston room sound re-enforce my thoughts on that :thumb:

James

Yes dynamic compression is something the Kensington meeting room with the Bryson gear did not have. Gosh it was great sound. I wish I could have stayed longer but it was my first room and I thought I better get moving or else I wouldn't get to all the rooms.  I recall the look of the speakers used in the room, and it wasn't captured well by the camera in the darkness. I just looked it up and it appears they were active PMC speakers?  Clearly a winning combination to my ears!

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 6 Oct 2011, 03:16 pm »
Yes dynamic compression is something the Kensington meeting room with the Bryson gear did not have. Gosh it was great sound. I wish I could have stayed longer but it was my first room and I thought I better get moving or else I wouldn't get to all the rooms.  I recall the look of the speakers used in the room, and it wasn't captured well by the camera in the darkness. I just looked it up and it appears they were active PMC speakers?  Clearly a winning combination to my ears!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Not Active - they were Passive IB2's driven by Bryston 28B mono amps and a BP26 preamp and a Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player with a Bryston BDA-1 DAC.

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #38 on: 6 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm »

James

Hi James,
The show was great and hopefully it will turn into the better one in future.
After greeting with you in the morning which was my pleasure,I went in the heart of the show and please forgive me If I tell you that I was not impressed with any speaker at the show at all or maybe I am the wrong one to say this or I might be effected by active system for a long time and nothing is good to my ears any more.
This room so far would be my vote for speakers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 6 Oct 2011, 10:40 pm »
Well not my choice but that's what makes audio so interesting.  :thumb:

James